Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i should have kept my mouth shut. i guess i jinxed myself.

looking for some opinions as to whether this is worth sending my 24/7 in for service. i was at the range the other day, and noticed a new feature (bug) on my .45. i empty a mag, the slide locks back. i insert another mag, and use the heal of my hand to smack it home. much to my surprise, the slide came forward on it's own and chambered a round. if i seat the mag gently, the slide stays back. but if i smack it in, which is perfectly normal, the slide catch disengages and allows the slide to come forward. this just began, never had this problem for the first 2 1/2 years of owning and firing this pistol. maybe that's what i get for constantly using the slide catch to release the slide

so guys, is this worth sending in? i'm thinking yes, definitely.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Definitely a magazine problem - I know because I marked my mags when this started happening to me. It's my #2 magazine. Must be something at the lip that isn't keeping the slide back. I posted it in the forum, and alot of people thought it is a 'feature' - but I have gotten to the point where I just don't like it. Specifically, when I have an empty magazine and want to keep the slide back, the magazine won't do it. I'm going to buy a 3rd slide magazine to replace the 2nd one, then send in #2 to Taurus to have them replace or fix it. Then, when I get it back, I'll have 3 good magazines for my 24/7..... :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dunno.. i've heard this is a "feature" other say "mag problems" others still claim it's a "slide stop" issue.

i've heard it on lots of different guns, the milpro, beretta 92's, glocks.

i can't really answer your question but texastaurusguy has a good idea of marking the mags..

also when is the last time you changed the springs? both gun and mags.. just curious if maybe they was worn out?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Uhhhh......."slide"? Did you, perhaps mean a third magazine? Check to see if the magazine has a weak spring, or if the tab that contacts the slide stop on the follower is worn, or bent too far. You may want to replace the follower and spring, just to be sure.

Also check the slide stop itself for signs of wear, beyond polishing. If it's the slide stop, you can probably get Taurus to send you one.

Magazines wear, and the design can allow heavy use, and ramming the magazine in place, to bend the follower tab, resulting in the slide closing under those conditions. It's NOT a "feature", and shouldn't be dismissed as such. :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mine started doing this as well. It's only a few months old. It does it on both mags. I don't like this "feature" at all. The best solution I have is not to slam it into the mag well if the slide is open. There really is no reason to hit it that hard. Just tap it to lock it in, give it a quick tug to make sure it's secure. Release the slide and you're good to go.

All of that being said, I'd still rather it did not release the slide in the first place.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Again, this isn't a design feature, but a sign of something beginning to wear. Check your magazine follower's hold-open actuating tab for it wearing, or being bent by the "slamming" into the mag well. A new follower, or another magazine curing the problem will pin-point it handily. :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine's not a magazine issue either. i just numbered and tested all mags, and i have this problem with ALL 6 magazines, from the original 2 that came with the pistol, 1000s of rounds through them, to the new, unused magazines that show zero wear. and one other point, i'm not "slamming" the magazines in as some have mentioned. anything over pushing them in causes the slide to come forward. i've been seating mags with a smack (not slam) of the heel of my hand since i got this 24/7 back in fall 2005. it never did this with ANY mag until last week. so i guess next i'll look at the slide stop.

and my comment about "feature (bug)"...i know this isn't a feature. features don't take 2 1/2 years to show up. that was a reference to the joke in software development that any bug is called a feature so it doesn't look like you screwed up. as in "no, no, i meant to do that! it isn't a bug, it's a feature."

it is somewhat comforting to know that other people have this problem with a wide array of pistols, not just taurus. perhaps this is an inherent design flaw in semi autos that is inevitable with wear? maybe it's just something that has to be addressed every X number of cycles, like new tires or new plug wires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK I think I know what is causing the problem. Now, I'm hoping I can explian it so it makes sense. I don't have the rescources to post pics, but here goes. With the weapon unloaded and slide locked back, look down into the feeding chamber. You may need to use a flashlight. On the side with the slide stop lever, there is a small tab sticking out into the mag well. Tripping this tab will allow the slide to come forward as if to chamber a round.
I think what is happening is that the magazine release catch is wearing and allowing the magazine to seat higher than it should. This is causing either the nose of the round or the magazine lip to trip the catch and release the slide. Mine doesn't do this as it is only has about 75 rds through it. If yours is releasing. Try an empty mag and see if it releases. If it does then it's the magazine lip tripping the slide release. If not its the nose of the round. Replacing the magazine catch should fix the problem. Instuctions are posted on the forum. Just ny .02

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
While at the Taurus booth at the NRA convention, I asked them about this. Basically, here's what I was told. The Taurus pistols already have a lighter slide release than other pistols. Combine that with a little bit of use and the release gradually gets easier to release. Thus when the mag is smacked into the mag well, it bumps the release and causes the slide to come forward and put a round into battery. The guy I talked to did not act at all concerned about this.

·
Registered
968 Posts
can see a few situations where this...feature...would be handy

however the real situation is that the gun is wearing and something needs to be fixed. how long until you slam a mag in and the slide+hammer drop?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
While at the Taurus booth at the NRA convention, I asked them about this. Basically, here's what I was told. The Taurus pistols already have a lighter slide release than other pistols. Combine that with a little bit of use and the release gradually gets easier to release. Thus when the mag is smacked into the mag well, it bumps the release and causes the slide to come forward and put a round into battery. The guy I talked to did not act at all concerned about this.
Yeah he probably carrying a revolver, so what should he care about it for. :D I am going to take a Tactical Handgun course next month, where I will be doing the drop mag, slam a new one in and continue my course of fire, wonder if mine will do the auto load function under pressure. It does not under my normal loading. :???:

·
22,058 Posts
My 24/7 LS has done this from day 1 with all 5 mags I own. I actually like this feature as it removes on step in the process during competition. My PT92 and 917 do not do it.

I have watched the discussions on a couple of threads. Some like it some don't.
Allthough I like it it would probably be better if the gun did not come from the
factory this way. Maybe as an option or something easily modified if you want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have shot less then a 1000 rounds and mine has done this from the first time. I thought it was a cool feature it dont bother me slam a mag home and shoot!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Slide releases when a mag is seated, if it were mine, I'd call it broke in.

So then I checked mine.

My 24/7 will drop the slide when really pop the mag in, repeatedly and reliably......IF,,,,,, there is ammo in the mag.
I can't hit it hard enough to free the slide on an empty mag.
I like this!!!!!!!!!!!

My 145 will not release the slide unless some pressure is relieved from the recoil spring, basically, it takes two hands to chamber a round.
I don't like this but now have an excuse to go shoot:
Honey, I gotta exercise the new gun!
Lamar

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Lamar, that's always a good thing !! :shooter:

·
Registered
261 Posts
My .45 pro has done this since day one on both mags but only if there is a round in the mag. I actually like this even if this isn't a feature. i asked a local gun shop owner and he said that people come in and ask for there mags to be reshaped to do this on there XD,Glocks,HK,ect. because in a quick reload situation it cuts valuable seconds off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts