Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been serious about buying a Spectrum but had an ongoing curiosity about them. My sister in law has had one for a while but never fired it. I told her I was going to the gun range and she needed to go to make sure her gun works and to get some time with it. She declined but said I could test it for her. I ran about 60 rounds through it, a variety of fmj and jhp. It ate everything. I'm pretty impressed. That's a sweet and smooth DA trigger. It doesn't fill a role for me that isn't already served by something else, so I don't see me buying one, but I honestly think they should be more popular. I like it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've never been serious about buying a Spectrum but had an ongoing curiosity about them. My sister in law has had one for a while but never fired it. I told her I was going to the gun range and she needed to go to make sure her gun works and to get some time with it. She declined but said I could test it for her. I ran about 60 rounds through it, a variety of fmj and jhp. It ate everything. I'm pretty impressed. That's a sweet and smooth DA trigger. It doesn't fill a role for me that isn't already served by something else, so I don't see me buying one, but I honestly think they should be more popular. I like it.
I do enjoy mine. Soft shooter for a little 380. I understand that some folks were having issues with theirs. I recently watched aYouTube video by mixup98 who had issues, diagnosed the problem, and then shows you how he fixed his. Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
They've received a lot of bad press on this forum, of all places.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, my experience with my M&P Bodyguard .380 told me about that. At first it really did not feel "too small" after all it fit the bill of what I was looking for. Small, light, very easy to conceal. But, I am amazed at how much "wallop" a .380 round has in that gun. Seriously as much or more than my .357 with full loads. Rather shoot that .357 all day long compared to a few with the .380

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m with Doobie. You get a flawless one or one with issues. My first one I bought in early 2021 had multiple Failures to Feed and the trigger went “dead.” Sent back to Taurus and they had to replace the barrel and slide along with replacing the trigger reset spring. This all happened at the 46 round count. Yes..<50. I sold it to a local big box store that buys firearms with full disclosure and gave them the Taurus work order. Got $100 but didn’t trust it. Well, around Christmas 2021 Sportsman Warehouse had them for $189 and yes, I gave it another try. I actually liked the size and feel when I had the 1st one for a short period of time. My 2nd one is flawless. Close to 900 rounds and not a single issue with every brand of fmj and hollow points I’ve used. I’m talking Perfecta, Fiocchi, Remington, Federal, Critical Defense, Winchester, etc….. If .380 was more available, this round count would be higher. I enjoy shooting it and trust it as a pocket/back-up carry option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had lots of FTF problems, then found out I was supposed to break in the magazines for 24 hours. To be fair I also polished it up a bit, and it started working well. I have tiny hands for a guy, and it feels really comfortable, but it was a little hard to hold onto while shooting. Still very acceptable for it's purpose, a defense weapon that fits anywhere. Oh, I also put a green Armalaser on it and the accuracy was impressive while using the laser, according to my more experienced co-workers that shot it. Also worth noting that when the mags are loaded to capacity it's pretty hard to rack over the first round, though I tested them at max + one in the chamber, and it was able to cycle using each magazine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 that I got for about $165 each and have about 250 rounds though each along with 2 or 3 mags of sig V crown and they have been great. Trigger is gritty IMO, but great for a pocket gun with that trigger. Pretty accurate too, kept 2 mags all on the bad guy target at 25yrds. For that small sight radius and my skill level (average at best, I’ll take it. I do wish they had made them with a contrasted front sight. But for $165 OTD (background included) I really can’t complain. My 75 year old Mom has “borrowed” one of mine to go shooting with her friends, couple of other widowed ladies in her neighborhood all love to shoot! It’s awesome. Sure going to miss my other spectrum! Keep em on paper Mom!

·
23,915 Posts
Whatever works for you is my basic operating theory.
The thing about these tiny small-as-they-can-possibly-be semiautos is how sensitive they are to limp wristing. So "whatever works for you" (which is an idea I generally espouse enthusiastically) needs a bit of a footnote in this case. Example; I got a TCP, love it, got one for my daughter, heard "the thing just won't work." Went to the range, showed them how important a firm grip is, and has been flawless for her ever since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my Spectrum for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. I've always followed the advice of a salesman who told me to always run a couple of boxes of ball through an auto to smooth it out before you try anything else. I was concerned about Winchester and Browning FMJ because the bullets have a flat front, but it's like a roach. It eats anything I feed it. I mainly shoot Winchester White Box in it (and in my Taurus 92c) with good results. I can find WWB hollow point in 9mm but never in .380. Last week I found some Fiocchi .380 hollow points and they shoot well in it. Both the WWB and Fiocchi FMJ and hollow points shoot to the same point of aim as the others of the same brand so I can use the cheaper FMJ for practice.
I have small hands and the Spectrum fits me like a glove. I hold it firmly and I have never had recoil problems. I guess the most I have shot it at one time is probably two 50 round boxes at the range.
Many have complained about the quality of their Spectrum and I think they probably have the earlier manufactured ones. Apparently the Taurus marketing department got ahead of the engineers and they started selling them before they had all the assembly line problems ironed out. I have never had feeding problems but from descriptions by others I think many of them arise from not making sure the top round is pushed all the way to the back of the magazine.
We have a great little gun. Now, all we need is to be able to find ammunition for it!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I've had my Spectrum for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. I've always followed the advice of a salesman who told me to always run a couple of boxes of ball through an auto to smooth it out before you try anything else. I was concerned about Winchester and Browning FMJ because the bullets have a flat front, but it's like a roach. It eats anything I feed it. I mainly shoot Winchester White Box in it (and in my Taurus 92c) with good results. I can find WWB hollow point in 9mm but never in .380. Last week I found some Fiocchi .380 hollow points and they shoot well in it. Both the WWB and Fiocchi FMJ and hollow points shoot to the same point of aim as the others of the same brand so I can use the cheaper FMJ for practice.
I have small hands and the Spectrum fits me like a glove. I hold it firmly and I have never had recoil problems. I guess the most I have shot it at one time is probably two 50 round boxes at the range.
Many have complained about the quality of their Spectrum and I think they probably have the earlier manufactured ones. Apparently the Taurus marketing department got ahead of the engineers and they started selling them before they had all the assembly line problems ironed out. I have never had feeding problems but from descriptions by others I think many of them arise from not making sure the top round is pushed all the way to the back of the magazine.
We have a great little gun. Now, all we need is to be able to find ammunition for it!
Good one. That's funny.

·
Registered
Currently, Taurus 856, Ruger 10/22.
2 Posts
I joined this forum today mainly to learn more about the Spectrum, which I suspect will be added to my kit by summer's end. (Waiting on a significant financial infusion which will take a couple of months or more.) I think it'll be a nice addition to my Taurus 856; in fact, the Spectrum may eventually replace the 856. More on that in another thread someday. Maybe my introduction in the new member subforum, which I haven't done yet.

Before joining, I've done a ton of research on this pistol. Read reviews, the Taurus page of course, and watched a couple of dozen videos about it. Now I'm reading threads here.

All of those are inching me toward giving the little guy a try despite the bad press it's gotten. From all the reading and video viewing I've done, and now, thank you, this thread (and others on the forum), I've learned a number of things about how to lessen the probability of issues, how to make it run better, beyond just the luck of "getting a good one". I'm thinking of a thread someday to list those, and learn more from others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 380 round is a very mysterious round. Makes a person wonder what Browning was thinking. I have this spectrum. Not one single issue. deploys every round without a hitch. Very dependable & accurate, even one handed firing. lightweight easy to pocket carry almost forget your carrying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
... It doesn't fill a role for me that isn't already served by something else, so I don't see me buying one, but I honestly think they should be more popular. I like it.
They had a rough roll out. Released way late, problems with early copies, very spotty cs with no communication. Frustration killed initial enthusiasm and left a bad rep. Now that the kinks are worked out, everyone seems to want a pocket pistol in 9mm with 10+ cap, so the market has forgotten the spectrum and moved on. Too bad because they have some real advantages among the micro pistols including soft shooting, ease of manipulation, second strike capable and very reasonable price. I picked up a couple very cheaply and keep them in strategic desk drawers just in case.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I read about people getting some good deals on these. With my senior discount I can get one for $207. IMHO they are the best looking little black 380 on the market. They remind me of the old Colt 32's.
I have cast boolits and dies for a 380, but no 380. For me it would be mainly a range toy. It would take a lot of flawless test firing before I would trust it CC.
Does $207 sound high?

·
Registered
21,987 Posts
I read about people getting some good deals on these. With my senior discount I can get one for $207. IMHO they are the best looking little black 380 on the market. They remind me of the old Colt 32's.
I have cast boolits and dies for a 380, but no 380. For me it would be mainly a range toy. It would take a lot of flawless test firing before I would trust it CC.
Does $207 sound high?
I got mine on sale a couple years ago for $140 out the door so considering the time and bidenflation, that's prob'ly ballpark now.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
why would you shoot it a lot? Its not a target, plinker, range gun. Its a rib sticking pocket rocket. When i shot my sisters i did not sight much at 5 yards, just point and shoot.
The FTF i see with them is limp wristing the snappy little thing. If you can field strip it without messing up the non-captured rod spring, using a good dry lube goes a long way here.
Keep your wrist and grip tight. do not move on the long strikerfire trigger pull and use it point blank range, not so much AT the range. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts