Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep I saw three of them! a Colt at $1499.,a DPMS sportcal at $849.and a bushy with forward assist and and ejection cover at $1049..I did not look at the model numbers because I was so surprised to see them!.I have not seen any there in such a long time U.P. here.I turned around and looked at the ammo,same old pathetic stuff even had dust on some of the boxes.what good is it if you can buy the rifle and not the ammo?.I asked the salesperson there about the ammo situation,same story,we have not seen any ammo for a long time (counter to what I have been reading lately) then,I said what if I bought one of those? would you have something behind the counter to go with it?.he said no,sorry,nothing back there.luckily I have some various types of ammo stashed but have not been shooting since all of this crap happened.gonna have to wait and see as I will NOT pay these prices and don't order off the internet.I hate no being able to throw some lead downrange!.it really sucks!.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I haven't seen any at WalMart yet, but at least one of the Academy stores near me is full of EBRs, Bass Pro has had a couple, and one of my LGSs is as pretty well stocked with them, too. No, the prices haven't completely normalized yet, but (except for that LGS) no one really raised the prices all that much to begin with, so they aren't that bad.

·
Registered
24,938 Posts
Six of em at my LGS with ammo but still high priced

·
Registered
606 Posts
New AR-firearm production is catching up to the post-Sandy Hook demand, in fact you maybe able to get below MSRP depending on your local market. Soo many folks bought an AR/AK/EBGs in the last 6 months that I'm noticing many new ARs go unsold at MSRP-ish prices on GunBroker.com. But some of those same folks are still thinking about stocking up on ammo.

5.56/223 ammo is still somewhat higher than last fall, but the prices are falling as the ammo manufacturers keep pumping it out. XM193 rounds that were 80 cents to a buck each this spring have now dropped to 55 to 60 cents-ish a round. Maybe we will see a glut of available ammo in the future so standard mil-spec 55gr can drop to 25-40 cents a round again...yes, I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses!?! 8)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New AR-firearm production is catching up to the post-Sandy Hook demand, in fact you maybe able to get below MSRP depending on your local market. Soo many folks bought an AR/AK/EBGs in the last 6 months that I'm noticing many new ARs go unsold at MSRP-ish prices on GunBroker.com. But some of those same folks are still thinking about stocking up on ammo.

5.56/223 ammo is still somewhat higher than last fall, but the prices are falling as the ammo manufacturers keep pumping it out. XM193 rounds that were 80 cents to a buck each this spring have now dropped to 55 to 60 cents-ish a round. Maybe we will see a glut of available ammo in the future so standard mil-spec 55gr can drop to 25-40 cents a round again...yes, I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses!?! 8)
It sure would be nice to see ammo at the lgs's at a good price again.maybe things will calm down soon.for a while until the next idiot does something rash.(I sure hope not)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I saw the same thing at my Walmart last week. Might even have been the same 3 models, I can't remember exactly. Same situation with the ammo too. No .223/5.56 in stock. It's like the hammer without the nail. It's a paperwight.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I saw the same thing at my Walmart last week. Might even have been the same 3 models, I can't remember exactly. Same situation with the ammo too. No .223/5.56 in stock. It's like the hammer without the nail. It's a paperwight.
Which Walmart in east Texas?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I saw some in an SC Walmart. Had the DPMS and they also had a Sig 556 for, I think, 1199$.

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
All the LGS's and "Big Box" stores in my neck of the woods have be "re-supplied" and replenished with guns an ammo.

Shelves that were so recently empty now bristle with AR's, 1911's and copious amounts of ammo.

The gun prices went up $50-$100 across the board depending on make & model.

However, ammo is still ridiculous ..7 mm Magnum $63 Up from $28 for 20 rds, 12 ga. Dove Loads $9 per 25 rds, up from $3.67; .22 Rimfire $39 for 500 rd brick formerly $11-$13 depending on brand on sale.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Was just at my local Walmart. Ammo case was empty as usual.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Same guns the OP mentioned when I checked the Lancaster, SC Walmart, same prices, plus the Beretta CX4 9mm. for $849.
No ammo.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
I have seen a few of the Colts in my Walmart around the $1200.00 mark. The DPMS and Bushmasters are selling with in an hour according to the dept manager from the time they hit the shelves. These people need to get out more because they have hundreds of them at the monthly gun show for less then what Walmart wants right now. The dealers definitely have a surplus, they say the selling stopped because no one has ammo.

·
Super Moderator
27,124 Posts
Was at my new(to me) LGS yday...they had AR's up the wazoo, at least 30 on display, do not know all the makes but most looked different, some even had suppressors.
They also had most of the usual ammo in stock. 9mmfmj was $21/50 22lr was $6/100
they had 30-30 on sale at 30%off...do not know the price.
Very nice people to deal with..will definately go there again!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts

However, ammo is still ridiculous ..7 mm Magnum $63 Up from $28 for 20 rds, 12 ga. Dove Loads $9 per 25 rds, up from $3.67; .22 Rimfire $39 for 500 rd brick formerly $11-$13 depending on brand on sale.

I was in my local Academy this week and was somewhat shocked (not really) to see how much their house brand Monarch, lacquered steel case Russian made .223 went up in price since Thanksgiving. It WAS normally $4.99/20, frequently on sale for $3.99/20, and $3.49/20 around Black Friday (I bought 500 rounds at $3.49/box). The ammo has the exact same markings on the head stamp and on the carton flap as the Brown Bear .223 I bought from Sportsmans' Guide last summer. Date codes were almost identical, same stamping (printing) on the flap, same color ink, etc. Obviously made at the same Barnaul plant in Russia.

Yesterday is was $11.99 for a box of 20 at Academy; a 140% over their previous "everyday low price", and triple their previous sale price! Academy had a large quantity of it on display behind customer service.

DKG Trading

DKG Trading

Just an FYI, both the Monarch (Academy house brand) and Brown Bear shot fine. They were a little dirty, but cleaned up OK. I used a chamber brush and Hoppes in the chamber to make sure there was no lacquer build up. I did NOT do fast, rapid fire, so I did not build up a lot of heat, but others have indicated that the lacquer gets sticky when in a hot chamber.

Still, I am very reluctant to pay triple for Russian lacquer coated steel case .223 at Academy, or anywhere else! At $3.49 or $3.99 box it is OK - $12/box stay away unless it is an emergency!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I went to Walmart at lunch today to pick up a few odds and ends. Of course I had to have my normal disappointment when there wasn't any 22lr ammo in the case. But, they did have two ARs, one a Windham Weaponry and I didn't catch what the second one (had Magpul furniture though) was. The local Cabela's has had ARs in their display the last couple times I've been there. Unfortunately it seems it's going to be a while before the ammo returns to the shelves.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
We went shopping at WW this morning at the NMB store.
Small ammo find!
5 boxes 50 rounds Remington UMC .223 Rem. 55gr. for $27.17. ($0.54/round)
Guy in front of me bought his 3, I bought 1.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
one's better then none,I reckon.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have held of on buying any new caliber firearms specifically due to the ammo shortage. No good buying a new gun if you cannot find any (reasonably priced) ammo for it. I guess Obama/Biden's plan of having government agencies buy up all the ammo is working.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts