Taurus Firearm Forum banner

I resisted as long as I could. First Glock 23 coming home on Sunday.

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  treg 
Congrats! Glock got me a couple months ago. As far as the ugly goes - it starts looking better and better as it voraciously swallows whatever it's fed. They've got great barrels, great magazines, great engineering, and the finish is hard as a rock and wears like iron. But be ready for the 'glock phenomenon.' With the low bore axis and big flat sighting plane it will soon make your other pistols feel unnaturally tall. You'll see...

But there's a downside. They're darn near as bad as AR15's when it comes to 'accessorizing.' All kinds of aftermarket goodies available. I love my PT145, but it sure is nice having a pistol that everybody and his brother makes parts for.

And it's also nice having a pistol that doesn't seem to care if it's dirty or clean, lubed or dry. It just keeps on shooting. I had mine out on monday, and put a couple hundred rounds through it. When I was done I wiped it down, inside and out, and pulled a rag through the barrel. I was amazed to find that it's pretty doggone clean after after a lick and a promise. Owning your own will reveal to you very quickly why so many leos love these things.

I even bought a glock tool for mine. $10 for a steel rod with a plastic handle is highway robbery - but it's the right tool for the job. There are some excellent videos on youtube that will walk you through assembly and disassembly, and I found them very helpful. Here's the first one in a good series, and you should see the links for the other disassembly video, as well as the two reassembly videos in the sidebar.

I had my G30 out last monday, and I can't remember a more pleasant time on the range. I had the plinking range all to myself, and I didn't use anything but aftermarket 27 round KCI magazines. I was being completely lazy with my shooting. I was resting the pistol on the bottom of the magazine, and I was only really gripping it with my thumb and social finger. It didn't care. It just ran and ran and ran. I don't think this G30 knows or cares what limp wristing is. It was a completely relaxing session, and I just sat there bouncing a coffee can around that was 25 yards away. I felt great for the rest of the day. It's almost boring in its reliability - but I can handle that kind of boredom. But you can still get a bad unit from any manufacturer - but I seem to have got a good 'un. And I think most people do. But if you're talking about people who can screw up an AK - heck, they can screw up anything. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.