Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refused to even pick up a Glock for so long because it's just NOT a pretty gun. I have a nice assortment of 1911s (one S&W Billboard), assorted revolvers (5 S&Ws), assorted semi autos (two S&Ws), a couple of Sigs, Taurus, Browning, Zastava, Ruger, Star, but not a single Glock. If nearly every LEO in the civilized world carries them, they can't be all that bad. I walked into an empty LGS a few days ago and the clerk let me handle a bunch of them. The grip was good, sights spectacular, and they all came up on point naturally.

I guess the old expression "try it ... you'll like it" holds true with Glocks. I borrowed a friend's model 22 on Friday. I brought it home, loaded 10 rounds, and headed for the backyard. At 25 feet, my first two shots were less than 3 inches from dead center and the rest were within a 1 inch circle. The sights are amazing and the short take-up trigger is as good as my best 1911. It's the first 40 cal I've actually enjoyed shooting. Fast forward to Saturday morning at the LGS ... I'll be picking up my first Glock next Sunday. My LGS had a bunch of new and used. I told the clerk I was torn between 9mm and 40 cal. He said "I don't know if this will help you decide, but I haven't seen any 9mm ammo come in for weeks, but I have a ton of 40 cal." I bought a used Model 23 Gen 2 in 40 cal. that looks like new inside and outside for $400 plus tax with case, two 13 round mags, loader, and 100 rounds of ammo. I'm not a big fan of accessory rails so this one was just right for me. Here's my usual phone photo to keep me until the week of waiting is over. I apologize to any Glock owners I may have offended in the past. It really is a great shooting gun and built like a tank.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Glock 17 is 13 years old and I've only had 2 malfunctions (ammo related). My wife gave it to me for our first Christmas and I didn't clean or lube it for the first 4 years that I owned it. I've never thought of it as ugly. I often read that a lot on the internet but have never looked at it that way. I just looked at it as a super reliable gun. I've gotten 3 1911's since then and can see why people refer to the Glock as ugly but I don't. I know if I leave it bone dry and dirty it will still function flawlessly. I can't say that for the 1911's.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you were Wilboat (no pun intended). I just can't get over the looks of them. But if it shoots well enjoy it. Congrats!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Shot a 23 gen3 this past weekend not bad at all, I keep my 19 gen4 bedside

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
If you get tired of shooting .40 caliber ammo you could swap out the barrel for a 357Sig. The .40 caliber magazine is the same as the 357Sig round.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
My son loves his has 3 or 4 now i dont bother to keep up with all the model numbers. He says you did good on your deal

jhp
enjoy your new gun

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
You are gonna love the 23. I have had that same model for many years and it is still like new.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Congrats! Glock got me a couple months ago. As far as the ugly goes - it starts looking better and better as it voraciously swallows whatever it's fed. They've got great barrels, great magazines, great engineering, and the finish is hard as a rock and wears like iron. But be ready for the 'glock phenomenon.' With the low bore axis and big flat sighting plane it will soon make your other pistols feel unnaturally tall. You'll see...

But there's a downside. They're darn near as bad as AR15's when it comes to 'accessorizing.' All kinds of aftermarket goodies available. I love my PT145, but it sure is nice having a pistol that everybody and his brother makes parts for.

And it's also nice having a pistol that doesn't seem to care if it's dirty or clean, lubed or dry. It just keeps on shooting. I had mine out on monday, and put a couple hundred rounds through it. When I was done I wiped it down, inside and out, and pulled a rag through the barrel. I was amazed to find that it's pretty doggone clean after after a lick and a promise. Owning your own will reveal to you very quickly why so many leos love these things.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But there's a downside. They're darn near as bad as AR15's when it comes to 'accessorizing.' All kinds of aftermarket goodies available. I love my PT145, but it sure is nice having a pistol that everybody and his brother makes parts for.
I already ordered a bunch of stuff for it and I'm considering getting a 9mm barrel and mags just for variety. If I ever found a bunch of "stupid" money, I'd buy another, have a machinist shave enough off the grip to install a nice set of rosewood double diamond grips. It must be the 1911 in me. lol

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I even bought a glock tool for mine. $10 for a steel rod with a plastic handle is highway robbery - but it's the right tool for the job. There are some excellent videos on youtube that will walk you through assembly and disassembly, and I found them very helpful. Here's the first one in a good series, and you should see the links for the other disassembly video, as well as the two reassembly videos in the sidebar.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
An option to the 40 v 9mm is to get the G22, then get a 9mm conversion barrel and G17 mag. You can also get a 357 Sig conversion barrel and use the G22 mags.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I went through a whole bunch of handguns trying to find the "right" EDC. I bought a Glock 19 and have carried it everyday for two years now.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Glock 23 my favorite handgun. You got a great deal and you got a great gun. Enjoy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Congrats!

Glocks are good pistols. Because of the position of the glock grip hump, only the subcompacts are an ergonomic fit for my hand.

I own the 23's little brother, the 26. I plan in acquiring a 23 soon.

If you want a Glock with some extra oomph (using full power ammo), a Glock 29 is excellent.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Form follows function = "inherent beauty".

Great ergos, slide and mag release perfectly positioned - extraordinary reliability and combat accuracy.

Stock sights are great but can be tuned to your needs/liking easily.

Imho Glocks rock. I'm a fan of full size and comp. models with a 22 and 34 and a 35 in the "buy" line!

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Iraqi Police carried Glock 19s that we gave them. They failed all of the time. One even blew apart. (Saw more than on AK do the same thing but that's another story) Of course we are talking about guys that cleaned their guns using diesel fuel and lubed them with old motor oil but still. That took away the unfailable mystery for me. The 19 didn't fit my hand either, the grooves on the grip weren't spaced out far enough. I know they are good guns, but they aren't for me.

Nice pistol though.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The Iraqi Police carried Glock 19s that we gave them. They failed all of the time. One even blew apart. (Saw more than on AK do the same thing but that's another story) Of course we are talking about guys that cleaned their guns using diesel fuel and lubed them with old motor oil but still. That took away the unfailable mystery for me. The 19 didn't fit my hand either, the grooves on the grip weren't spaced out far enough. I know they are good guns, but they aren't for me.

Nice pistol though.
Can you please clarify the convoluted point of that serving of "word salad"? - thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts