Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple of firearms stolen out of a truck in the past. However, yesterday, something happened that convinces me I need to carry one in the truck. No, it was not a self defense scenario, it was a hog, off my road rooting up everything in the neighbor's pasture. I had nothing to take him with, but the .38 M85 UL I was carrying in my right pocket. I couldn't even get at THAT rapidly due to the seat belt which I had to unhook. I shot it, I think. It staggered a step and took off running. 50 yards with a 2" gun is a small target, but I'm rather practiced at extended range with that gun. However, at 50 yards, that bullet which starts out at only 275 ft lbs is down under 200 ft lbs. I don't think that bullet, PROBABLY, made it through the hog's shoulder. I don't know that, but it don't have a lot of juice at that range.

Anyway, I don't do a lot of driving in any kind of traffic or at stop lights and such in urban areas, but if someone were to try to car jack me, I'd want a gun I could get at fast. So, with double reason (mainly that hog) I found an old shoulder holster I got with a Radom P64 which is HUGE. I'm not sure why they put it in that box with that P64, but it houses my 6.5" .357 magnum Blackhawk with room to spare! I have 180 XTP loads for that blackhawk which leave the gun at 1400+ fps putting up 785 ft lbs. That load hits 5" high at 50 and dead on at 100 and with a stead rest, I can group 6 shots into 4" at 100 yards with the gun, iron sights and all. Rested over my window in the truck, 50 yards with a low hold would be deadly.

I'd rather carry a rifle in the truck, but it'd be hard to deploy inside the truck, even my folding stock SKS. Before you suggest it, NO, a Shockwave would be worthless at 50 yards on a pig. Buckshot is too much spread and I ain't firing a slug in no PGO shotgun, thank you very much. :rolleyes: So, what I did was slip the strap of that commie shoulder holster over the flip down console thingy in the truck. It rides down behind the seat easily reached by the driver and I can flip the console up to further conceal it if I get out at Walmart or something. I'll have to lock the doors, of course. I'll also bring the gun in the house when I get home.

I may never get another shot out of the truck at a pig, but they seem to be getting more numerous around here and I wanna be ready NEXT time. :D

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Sound like the perfect tool for the job requirement. I'd like to see the video if you ever have to pull it on a carjacker. That's a big gun.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Blackhawk sounds like a great idea.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
Blackhawk would be nice for a truck gun as long as you make it part of your routine to remove it when you leave the vehicle and put it back when you enter it. You could always opt for a Mares leg lever gun or even a Hi Point PCC.

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
Well, aren't you the problem solver. Discovered a problem (gun too small for hogs), found a solution and a way to carry/access/conceal it. You make it sound easy. Me, I'd check my gun sometime later and try to remember why there was a round fired. :blink:

·
Registered
28,095 Posts
My solution is an Glock 20 in a Safariland 578 holster. Easy to get to and I never forget to take it with me.

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Glocks are allowed in my home or truck! I wanna shoot PIGS, not my leg! :D

Of course, for this duty, I WOULD pack any Glock condition 3.

Besides, I bet my Blackhawk is more accurate. :D

·
23,204 Posts
This is why I've really come to appreciate OWB vertical holsters. Worn strong side, while walking around, they are comfortable and make for a fast, safe draw. On road trips, take the exact same rig and swing it around to the crossdraw 9:00 position. Viola, an easy to access, rapid draw without even getting near your seatbelt. I do that with these rigs all the time:

Rock Fashion accessory

Bottle Leather Wood Wood stain Handgun holster

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
:unsure:...I'd think Hellfires on the fenders and Claymores in the doors would pretty much cover everything.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Walking through Academy, I saw their Turkish made Yildiz 12 gauge single barrel folding shotgun for $129. I think this is a clone of an old Benelli or Beretta design. The barrel was something like 28" long, it has a Turkish Walnut stock that looks way more expensive than a $130 gun should have and the fitment of metal and wood was very good. Then today I saw another clone but with a plastic stock, a big thick recoil pad, a 20" barrel, and made in the USA. The plastic stock might hold up a little better in the truck and the shorter barrel is a little more handy.

Ever since I looked it over I have been thinking about using it as a truck gun that would go in the pocket/pouch that is behind the seat on my bench seat cover. I could always get a rifled insert for relatively low pressure rifle cartridges, like 45/70 or 30-30, or pistol cartridges like .44 Mag.

BTW, I thought it was against the law to shoot from a vehicle, that you actually had to get out of the vehicle to make a legal shot. Then again, maybe that is only in Alabama.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A single shot like the Rossi Wizard in .223 rem works well as a truck gun. Leave the forestock off so you can take it down and fit it in the door panel pocket. Snaps together in a second. Fiber optic sights are easy to see day or night.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I've had a couple of firearms stolen out of a truck in the past. However, yesterday, something happened that convinces me I need to carry one in the truck. No, it was not a self defense scenario, it was a hog, off my road rooting up everything in the neighbor's pasture. I had nothing to take him with, but the .38 M85 UL I was carrying in my right pocket. I couldn't even get at THAT rapidly due to the seat belt which I had to unhook. I shot it, I think. It staggered a step and took off running. 50 yards with a 2" gun is a small target, but I'm rather practiced at extended range with that gun. However, at 50 yards, that bullet which starts out at only 275 ft lbs is down under 200 ft lbs. I don't think that bullet, PROBABLY, made it through the hog's shoulder. I don't know that, but it don't have a lot of juice at that range.

Anyway, I don't do a lot of driving in any kind of traffic or at stop lights and such in urban areas, but if someone were to try to car jack me, I'd want a gun I could get at fast. So, with double reason (mainly that hog) I found an old shoulder holster I got with a Radom P64 which is HUGE. I'm not sure why they put it in that box with that P64, but it houses my 6.5" .357 magnum Blackhawk with room to spare! I have 180 XTP loads for that blackhawk which leave the gun at 1400+ fps putting up 785 ft lbs. That load hits 5" high at 50 and dead on at 100 and with a stead rest, I can group 6 shots into 4" at 100 yards with the gun, iron sights and all. Rested over my window in the truck, 50 yards with a low hold would be deadly.

I'd rather carry a rifle in the truck, but it'd be hard to deploy inside the truck, even my folding stock SKS. Before you suggest it, NO, a Shockwave would be worthless at 50 yards on a pig. Buckshot is too much spread and I ain't firing a slug in no PGO shotgun, thank you very much. :rolleyes: So, what I did was slip the strap of that commie shoulder holster over the flip down console thingy in the truck. It rides down behind the seat easily reached by the driver and I can flip the console up to further conceal it if I get out at Walmart or something. I'll have to lock the doors, of course. I'll also bring the gun in the house when I get home.

I may never get another shot out of the truck at a pig, but they seem to be getting more numerous around here and I wanna be ready NEXT time. :D
Can you post a pic of what yer’a describing here? Having a difficult time coming up with a visual.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I'm not sure what your laws are, but around here you are never permitted to shoot from within a vehicle or across a road with the exception of a self defense scenario. My solution however is an easily accessible crossdraw holster that holds my 3" .357 S&W Pro-series Mod. 60 for road trips.

Reactions: jwc007 and ifithitu

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Of course, for this duty, I WOULD pack any Glock condition 3. :D
Just remember to wash your hands when you get done. With soap AND hot water.

A squirt or two of hand sanitizer wouldn't be amiss, either.:p

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I'm not sure what your laws are, but around here you are never permitted to shoot from within a vehicle or across a road with the exception of a self defense scenario. My solution however is an easily accessible crossdraw holster that holds my 3" .357 S&W Pro-series Mod. 60 for road trips.

In Texas it's O.K. if it's on private property. But Public Roads will cause you problems.

It is LEGAL to:
  • hunt animals and non-migratory game birds from a motor vehicle, powerboat, sailboat, or from any other floating device within the boundaries of private property or upon private water.

·
Registered
32,264 Posts
On a trip with a friend who had set out snares for hogs on his hunting lease a few days before, we came across one that had stepped through the snare with a front leg and was still alive. I was carrying my Taurus 4" model 66, loaded with +P .38 special 158 grain SJHP.

My first shot was at thirty yards, right in the shoulder followed by two more at that distance. My friend kept asking if I was missing. As we walked up closer to the hog, really ticked off now, I put one into his head to finish him off. When I got back to the truck, I replaced the loads with 158 grain .357 magnum SJHP and will never go into hog territory with anything less.

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Walking through Academy, I saw their Turkish made Yildiz 12 gauge single barrel folding shotgun for $129. I think this is a clone of an old Benelli or Beretta design. The barrel was something like 28" long, it has a Turkish Walnut stock that looks way more expensive than a $130 gun should have and the fitment of metal and wood was very good. Then today I saw another clone but with a plastic stock, a big thick recoil pad, a 20" barrel, and made in the USA. The plastic stock might hold up a little better in the truck and the shorter barrel is a little more handy.

Ever since I looked it over I have been thinking about using it as a truck gun that would go in the pocket/pouch that is behind the seat on my bench seat cover. I could always get a rifled insert for relatively low pressure rifle cartridges, like 45/70 or 30-30, or pistol cartridges like .44 Mag.

BTW, I thought it was against the law to shoot from a vehicle, that you actually had to get out of the vehicle to make a legal shot. Then again, maybe that is only in Alabama.
Not in Texas on private land/road. Heck, we have what some folks in other states call "Texas war wagons". :laugh: These are usually 4x4 old jeeps or trucks with a platform. Some can even be driven from the platform. There are gun rests around the platform. They go driving down ranch roads until they see something and stop. I've never hunted that way, but have shot lots of rabbits from a truck at night in the headlights. :D Not legal on public roads. When the county starts maintaining this road, I'll reassess the situation. :rofl:

I can't get a long gun into play in the truck except I was thinkin' about this folding stock SKS I have. If I could get a seat cover with a gun sleeve in the front I might could carry the SKS and get it into play if needed.

The Yiltiz is an excellent shotgun. I checked out the O/Us when Academy first got 'em and their warranty work is done by Briley in Katy just 60 miles east down I10 from me. BUT, that gun didn't fit me well so I passed on it. Years later after desiring an O/U for the whole time, I ended up with a CZ Redhead Delux which fits perfectly and is awesome. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you post a pic of what yer’a describing here? Having a difficult time coming up with a visual.
I'll try to get one later when I get dressed. It's kinda rainy here today, though.

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On a trip with a friend who had set out snares for hogs on his hunting lease a few days before, we came across one that had stepped through the snare with a front leg and was still alive. I was carrying my Taurus 4" model 66, loaded with +P .38 special 158 grain SJHP.

My first shot was at thirty yards, right in the shoulder followed by two more at that distance. My friend kept asking if I was missing. As we walked up closer to the hog, really ticked off now, I put one into his head to finish him off. When I got back to the truck, I replaced the loads with 158 grain .357 magnum SJHP and will never go into hog territory with anything less.

Yeah, I don't think that .38 from that 2" barrel even penetrated the shoulder completely. It does take more for pigs. The head is a pretty small target for a 2" gun from 50 yards, so I shot for the shoulder. That pig is probably limping around out in the woods this morning. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts