Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the title is a little dramatic,,but this is the Rock Island M1911 A1 FS Tarantula:

My dearests' Ginger and her Mom gave me $300 towards a gun for my birthday. I had a few optics to trade in as well, so off to my favorite toy store I went. My mission this time was to add another 45 to my nearly empty 45 rack in the vault. The toy store had several RIA's, Zenith PCS's, and a few other 1911's in stock. I handled several, but kept coming back to the least expensive model. This pistol out of the box had a better trigger and function than the others. So for $459 I captured this big ole spider.

This model weighs 39.8oz's unloaded, is 8.5" long, 5.5" high, and .92" wide at the slide/1.485" at the ambi safeties. This basic RIA has features that make it a great value. Skeletonized trigger with adjustable over travel stop and skeletonized hammer along with a 5” button rifled barrel supported by a full length guide rod.

I did a little sear and action polishing, clean and lube. The trigger is pulling at 2lb's 9oz's, with the overtravel adjusted down, I have just over a 1/16" travel to a crisp break. There is no hammer drop off, it is holding steady, even pounding on the desk.

Here that spider is broke down after 60 or so rounds, the cerakote finish is wearing on friction surfaces inside, but the finish is still pristine on the outside.

My shooting impression is very positive. I started the run above with 2 mags of PMC 230grn ball, then ran several mags of my SWC and SWRN"s reloads through it. No issues today. Accuracy is better than I expected, The church head shot at 20 yards was impressive, considering the target head is only 3" wide. This Tarantula can bite indeed! Up next week is a hopeful treasure find from KYGUNCO. I ordered a Taurus PT92 AFS for $302, it is a blem. They will only be in stock for a short time, so if you have a chance grab one while you can.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
I like that Rock ! It reminds me a lot of the Taurus PT1911, ambi-safety, full length guide rod, Judging by the target, looks like you got a winner. Congrats !

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I miss my Rock Island Armory 1911’s and 38’s more than any of the firearms II have ever traded. They were just too much fun, and they were reliable.

·
23,214 Posts
A good 1911 is a treasure indeed - congratulations!

·
Administrator
18,419 Posts
Congratulations on the new RIA Tarantula 1911 .45 and SS PT92 and may they serve you well! 🆒 :)
Fantastic deals all around! Also, Happy Birthday!!! :)
Nearly empty .45 rack? How could that happen? :oops:

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Happy Birthday!!

Nice pistols!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice pistols at a great price!

You reminded me of being at my grandmother’s house in the Philippines and I was sitting on a bench and a tarantula came out from under it. The maid was trying to kill it with a broom! Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Cool 1911, dunno why it's called a Tarantula though, as nothing about it really reminds me of a Tarantula.

If only I had $300 to spend on a gun right now, then I would be all over that deal for a Blemished PT92.

Congratulations on the new RIA Tarantula 1911 .45 and SS PT92 and may they serve you well! 🆒 :)
Fantastic deals all around! Also, Happy Birthday!!! :)
Nearly empty .45 rack? How could that happen? :oops:

Is it wrong that my eyes jumped to the Mega Charizard X&Y figures on the desk, especially considering that I really like Spiders?

·
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool 1911, dunno why it's called a Tarantula though, as nothing about it really reminds me of a Tarantula.

If only I had $300 to spend on a gun right now, then I would be all over that deal for a Blemished PT92.

Is it wrong that my eyes jumped to the Mega Charizard X&Y figures on the desk, especially considering that I really like Spiders?
I think its the cerakote finish is why RIA called it a Tarantula. Also that pt92 may still be avail from KYGUNCO,,I refused to purchase after they showed me a pic. Phew!!! The finish was either applied by a drunk blind tech, or it had been used/abused and put away:

·
Administrator
18,419 Posts
I think its the cerakote finish is why RIA called it a Tarantula. Also that pt92 may still be avail from KYGUNCO,,I refused to purchase after they showed me a pic. Phew!!! The finish was either applied by a drunk blind tech, or it had been used/abused and put away:
I'm going with abused here as it looks to have been stored in a Holster and the Leather Tannin got to it, which does horrible things to Gun Finishes.
That could be polished out, if Stainless, but it would be a lot of work and that Pistol would have to come at a substantial discount to make it worthwhile.
If that Finish is Hard Chrome, then it would have to be completely refinished. Again, a lot of work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts