Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local pawn shop last week and he had a new looking polished stainless and hammerless 605. It was made in 2002 but I got him down to only $30-$40 less than I could have bought a new matte stainless 605 with a hammer. Since they no longer make the 605 hammerless and the stainless is no longer polished, I bought it anyway as it is exactly what I wanted and it has very nice ATI grips.

When did Taurus discontinue the polished stainless finish and when did they discontinue the hammerless model? I originally thought it was a 650 as the look, size and weight are almost the same.

·
Premium Member
5,735 Posts
You ask some good questions here. I certainly can't help, but I've had the same types of questions with other models. It makes me wonder if some member has found a resource that would indicate a timeline of when a model was produced, what "generations" it went through, when it was discontinued, and what if anything replaced it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a Taurus 605 from their “Custom Shop”, 1994. Match grade trigger, polished, and ported Barrel.

A quick Google Search said the shop existed in 1995-1999 run by Jack Weigand, whom you know does the Weigand Rails for revolvers of all types for scope mounts.

It is one of the best revolvers I have.

I’ll post a picture soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Cn't answer your questions, however I think I would have also purchased it. I want a 605 and I want an older version before they switched to their new finish.

·
9,101 Posts
IT seems to me Taurus started implementing the newer finished about 4 years ago, just a guess. I have both a new 605 with the new stainless matte finish applied to stainless steel, and a 605 made in 1996 that is polished stainless with a slightly longer barrel. Both shoot very good. Sometimes you just have to purchase what your gut tells you to. You made a good decision.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great find. Beautiful pistol.

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I do love the wood grips these came with but I would imagine it is more tolerable to shoot with those grips.

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
There is an old saying that there is no such thing as a bad deal, as long as both the buyer and seller are happy. From the looks of it, you have every right to be happy.
Worth and market value are two totally different things and one rarely reflects the other. Worth is relative to the person(s) and the situation. A sump pump might not seem worth the sticker price today but if I should find myself up to my ankles in water tomorrow...:mellow:...it'll likely be worth a whole lot more to me than what they're askin'.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Very nice !

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
another "punisher" :D
After reading about the recoil, I think the grips may help some with it. Last week, I shot 5 357 Magnums through it and then 5 38 Specials. I thought it was not so bad and that the 357 was not much worse than the 38. Today, I shot 5 38 Specials and then 5 357 Magnums. The Magnum felt like they had twice or more recoil than the Specials today. I don't think my hand would want to feel a box of 357 Magnum at one time.

I am more accurate with it than I am with my TCP or Saturday Night Special snubby
(RG38)
but not as accurate as I am with my PT-111, My Taurus Model 84 38 Special with a 4" barrel, My 1911 in 9mm or my S&W SD9VE.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts