Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this should go in the ammo forum, but I am more interested in what the PT145 owners think.
I know all the hype about the .45 acp being big and what not, comments like "sure the 9mm might expand, but the .45 won't shrink"
In my PT145 I carry Speer gold dot 230 grain GDHP for the weight of the 230 gr.
What I am wondering is, in your opinion would it be any less safe/stopping power to use something like the Hornady Critical Defense (which I believe is 185gr) or maybe even something in 165gr hollow point?
Now I practice with 230gr FMJ BN ammo, so I know what you would say about sticking with the same weight for practice and EDC, but as far as stopping power, would this be that big of a difference (as long as I hit the BG in the "sweet spot)?:confused:

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The lighter rounds travel at much higher velocities, and most of the time they'll outperform the heavier rounds in close. You'll get less recoil too. I carry 200 grain Speer Gold Dot +P's in my PT145, and they're excellent performers. To reliably expand you need a velocity of 7-800 fps, and my chronograph pegs 230 grain standard pressure loads at 730 fps from my PT145 - which is a little too close to the line for my liking. The 200 grain +P's come out the barrel at a shade over 900 fps, and while I haven't hit any live targets with them (and hope I never do) they do very well in the denim/water jug test. And they're relatively reasonably priced - I usually pay $29.99 for a box of fifty from ammunition to go. Here's a couple pics of the business end of one that passed through four layers of denim, and four water jugs. It pretty much shredded jug #1 and actually poked a hole in #5 but fell back into #4. Remington 185 grain Golden Saber +P's are pretty darn sporty too, but I won't buy ammo in twenty round boxes unless the price is phenomenal.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My carry ammo for my PT-145 is; Federal 165 grain hydra-shok JHP, this is advertised as a low recoil round. My carry ammo for my 1911-A1 is; Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 230 JHP.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Try different ammo, what you hit best with......ding ding ding! It shouldn't be a debate.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Here is a link that will answer most of your questions:
Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
I took a look at the table and the 45 acp numbers all look like 5" barrel numbers. You're going to loose somewhere around 100 fps out of the PT145 so the numbers will probably look a lot different for all the loads mentioned. For my purposes number one criteria is does it feed properly in my pistol? Number two is velocity - is it sufficient for reliable expansion? And number three is performance through clothing - since most BG's wear it - is the hollow point easily plugged and will that prevent expansion? For me a round has to pass all three criteria.

An example of a round that just didn't make it was the 230 grain Winchester Ranger T +P. It fed reliably, and velocity out of a PT145 was an average of 830 fps. Looked good so far, but the relatively small hollow point was just too easily plugged with material, and when they plugged they acted like fmj's. Between that and a bunch of bad primers I experienced with the Rangers, they were relegated to range ammo until they were gone.

Any decent hollow point should do the job, but it has to be traveling fast enough to mushroom and it's got to make it through clothing without plugging or it's pretty much a fancy fmj. And I've learned this - you flat can't trust ammo manufacturer's claims about their products. They almost always exaggerate the muzzle velocity numbers - most probably because of the way they test. And performance will vary from gun to gun even with the same round. Some barrels are a little faster, some a bit slower. I guess it really comes down to comfort level as any 45 cal round is going to be some bad juju for whoever tries to stop it. I still kind of like to see what they do in the real world, so I chronograph and jug test them with the weapon I'm going to carry them in. I just feel better that way.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I'd say alternate brands while loading your mag between the Hornady Critical Defense and the Speer Gold Dots. Then when you have a need to shoot a bad guy in self defense, double tap him in the chest. When things clam down, ask him which one hurt worse, the Critical Defense or the Gold dot? I'm guessing he won't be able to tell you definitively which he liked the least. In fact, if you get your shot placement right, he probably won't be able to tell you at all! And, that's the point of my answer to your question. Any hit on the bad guy is a point in your favor. Get those hits in the right places and you will stop the threat. Bye the way, I use Hornady Critical Defense rounds in all my CCW and SD guns. They are consistent performers through most mediums such as coats, denim, and leather.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I use Critical Defense in all my pistols. From what has been published so far, they are 100% reliable winter (heavy clothing) or summer (light clothing). Plus recoil isn't bad at all and they shoot very well in short-barrel pistols.

Reactions: lv2tinker

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your replies, Maybe I will get some Critical Defense after all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say alternate brands while loading your mag between the Hornady Critical Defense and the Speer Gold Dots. Then when you have a need to shoot a bad guy in self defense, double tap him in the chest. When things clam down, ask him which one hurt worse, the Critical Defense or the Gold dot? I'm guessing he won't be able to tell you definitively which he liked the least. In fact, if you get your shot placement right, he probably won't be able to tell you at all! And, that's the point of my answer to your question. Any hit on the bad guy is a point in your favor. Get those hits in the right places and you will stop the threat. Bye the way, I use Hornady Critical Defense rounds in all my CCW and SD guns. They are consistent performers through most mediums such as coats, denim, and leather.
Now THIS sounds like a plan.:icon_ laughup::shooter:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I carry simple 185 gr hollow point federal classics....shoot top notch and have been around for a long long time

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was a police officer for 30-years, and I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be shot with anything, of any caliber. Having said that, I agree with what someone here said in another thread...getting shot with anything .45 would be very, very bad news. :D

I'm new to .45, but I intend to carry 165-grain to hold down the overall weight of my PT145.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The only thing I've got against some of the real light 45 rounds is that they don't seat very far back into the casing. With the lack of a roll crimp on the 45 acp, some pistols will push the bullet back farther into the case when they chamber. My PT145 doesn't do it, but my 1911 will sure shorten overall length on some rounds. Which is why it's usually not a good idea to repeatedly chamber the same round. If it gets pushed back far enough it can cause increased pressure, and I suppose if you had some real hot rounds to begin with it could conceivably create some problems. I figure with 200 grain speer hollow points there's probably 30 grains of metal missing from the gaping hole at the end of it, so I've got almost as much case holding the bullet as I do with 230 grain fmj's. Just something to think about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts