Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I need to vent a little bit. I feel like if I say it here, it's almost as good as standing up and saying in front of anybody.

I had to put my dog to sleep today.

Charlie was my Dachshund. When I say "my" dachshund, I really mean we bought him for my son almost 11 years ago, but Charlie decided that he belonged to me...or that I belonged to him depending on how you looked at it.

Now, I grew up with there always being dogs in our house, but between the highway, heart worms, snakebites, and a bad spine - I never had a dog that lived over 3 or 4 years.

Funny thing about Charlie. Like I said, we bought him for my son to be my son's dog 11 years ago. My son is allergic to fur so we needed a dog with hair. An inside dog. That pretty much limited us to a Chijuajua , a miniature pincer or a Dachshund.

Well, Chijuajuas are like rats on crack, pincers seem to be excitable and costly, so we got a dachshund.

My son was 3 years old at the time and actually named our dog about 20 minutes shy of arriving at the kennel.

So, the kennel had 7 pens. Each pen was 12 x 12 foot.

It was run by an older retired couple and they really took care of the dogs. Not a puppy farm by any means.

My wife was in one pen with about 7 or 8 puppies wallering all over her, and mu son was in the next pen over with about the same amount crawling all over him. They couldn't decide so I went to the farthest kennel where all the puppies had gone back into their dog house. I walked into that pen, whistles and picks up the first dachshund that came out.

That was the whole scientific process of how we chose our dog.

Charlie was spoiled. He slept on the bed against my stomach or curled up against the back of my legs. He followed me everywhere. He was always happy to see me when I came home from work or after being outside for only 5 minutes when checking the mail.

My son does not remember life without Charlie.

For the last week, Charlie had been acting just a little bit "off". Not sickly, not dragging but, not lethargic. He ate, he drank, he pooped and he barked just as much as ever, but still - he was just a little bit off.

Today we carried to the vet by way of walk in appointment.
Turns out he was eat up with cancer in his lungs.

Not a little bit, not sorta, but eat slam up. The x-ray was almost solid white where there should have been plenty of black .

Talk about a complete shock. The vet even thought he was pretty chipper for his condition.

They gave him a few days to a week, so we knew what we had to do.

I could not, in good conscience, ask that dog to carry on because I wasn't prepared or ready for him to die.
I could not expect him to suffer a minute longer because I was not ready to say good bye.

I held him as he was gently put to sleep with anesthesia, and I held him as the final drug was administered while my wife and son sat beside me petting and rubbing him.

Who could know that such a small creature could tear such a big hole in your heart and leave your house feeling so empty.

I brought him home in my lap as my wife drove. There was never a question that he was coming home with us.

I buried him between the garden and the woods.

Like I said, I had to tell somebody about Charlie. I'm not doing it to get your pity or condolences, but rather..... I feel like I have to say it, to tell his story because it makes it more real and it takes some of the burden off my heart.

1371.JPG

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sorry for your loss

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Thank you Scout, for sharing your story about Charlie. There is a reason a dog is man's best friend. Charlie will forever live in your family's heart. My condolences for your loss......

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. My Dachshund Copper is sitting in my lap as I write this. Leave out the part about buying him for my son, and I could tell just about the same story. He picked me. Sleeps in the bend of my knees. Follows me all over the house. His tail wags 1000 mph. He lays in front of the bathroom door while I shower. I know that one day I will be without him, but hope it's not for a long time. Sorry again for your loss.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog and friend. I hope your sorrow is
soon replaced by pleasant memories of the time you spent together.

·
Registered
558 Posts
As you can tell by my avatar, scoutfish, we're Doxie lovers at our house too. Our Abbie is pushing 16 and I know the day you've just been through is also coming for us pretty soon. I dread it. Surprising how these critters get ahold of our hearts, isn't it? Nobody pays attention to us like "our" dog. They watch every move we make and can predict what we'll be doing next just by the way we move around the house or yard. I'm sorry for this hard adjustment you now face, but I know you've got great memories of 11 years with Charlie. And I know you'll treasure those memories.

·
Super Moderator
35,687 Posts
My condolences to you, your wife and son...they attach themselves...hard...to your heart and rip a big part away when they have to leave us. You gave him everything that he needed and desired up to and including a comforting end to this dimension. You can be proud of that.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Never a good day, when you lose a loved one. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
You gave Charlie a doggie dream life and of course, he gave you unconditional love in return. And that's why they're so difficult to lose. no matter how they are treated they are eager to give that unconditional love. I'm very sorry for this most difficult loss. Take care fish. Charlie little buddy, hope to see you up there one of these days. Done made up my mind, Doggie Heaven's the place for me.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I've only once had to have a dog put to sleep and I completely broke down and had to leave the vet's office. I feel for you.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I've lost dogs over the years and feel terrible for you. They really are family members.

·
Super Moderator
35,687 Posts
Reactions: bamashooter

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Reminds me of this quote:

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Will Rogers
That's been in my signature for almost a year now. TrucksNCoffee uses it as well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts