Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...about a buying opportunity that just came up. I have first option to buy a Savage MkII bolt action .22 LR rifle with just 100 rounds fired through it for $125. I checked some online reviews and they're all positive, especially on the accuracy. The seller disclosed that the safety is loose in the frame, but I'm willing to live with that and get it repaired for a price that is, essentially, half of what these rifles are selling for new.

But wait, there's more! The seller will include a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 scope, already mounted and sighted, for an additional $75. That scope is listing for $180 to $220 new at online sales sites.

Total price for the Savage and the Vortex scope = $200.

This is one of those to-good-to-be-true opportunities that come up every now and then, and I've learned to be leery of most of them. This one, though...I'm going to meet the seller this evening with cash in hand if everything looks good.

Can anyone see any cons to what I'm describing? Anybody with Savage .22 experience have any advice?

Savage MkII .22.jpg

·
Administrator
35,573 Posts
I don't have that particular Savage, but I bought my youngest son a Savage semi-auto for his 8th birthday and it's a great rifle. I highly recommend the brand, and that price for the scope and rifle is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I'd say go for it! Sounds like the seller really wants to get rid of it, and I think you'll be pleased. I like mine a lot!

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have that particular Savage, but I bought my youngest son a Savage semi-auto for his 8th birthday and it's a great rifle. I highly recommend the brand, and that price for the scope and rifle is a no-brainer.
That's why I brought it up in this thread...I'm becoming a no-brainer myself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have A Savage bolt action in .223. If its quality is indicative of the brand, I'd go for it. Likewise with Vortex. I have a Vortex Viper on my race gun, and it is a great preformer.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
:unsure:...I believe the term "Savage" translates into "buy it" in any language. The only reason I can see to pass up any Savage, is if it were in a personally undesirable caliber and even then, not sure I could pass it up if it were a good deal. :smile:...Savages are awesomeages.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Just check it out good before you hand over the ca$h.. It if checks out, then go for it. Heck, even if you don't have specific purpose or need for it you could always give it a good cleaning, tighten things up on it and then resell it to ME for $250!! ;)

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Sounds like a good deal... Does it have the AccuTrigger?

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just check it out good before you hand over the ca$h.. It if checks out, then go for it. Heck, even if you don't have specific purpose or need for it you could always give it a good cleaning, tighten things up on it and then resell it to ME for $250!! ;)
I plan to keep it. I already have a semi auto .22, an old Remington Nylon 66 which, strangely, goes through ammo faster'n any firearm I have ever shot. It's a great plinker and a lot of fun, not so good for precision shooting; hence, wanting a bolt action .22.

BUT, should I sell the Savage, I'll try'n remember that you got first dibs. (Please understand that the key word in that preceding sentence is, "remember." :loco:)

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a good deal... Does it have the AccuTrigger?
That's a good question that I didn't think to ask. Looking closely at the picture on my PC screen, it doesn't appear to have one, but I'll prob'ly buy it regardless.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
:huh:...you still draggin' your feet on this thing?! :unsure:...figured you'd prob'ly at least have pics up by now, maybe even a range report. Did the world end and nobody bothered to tell me?! :dunno:...wha'sa' ho'dupp?! :icon_ poke:

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Sounds like a deal to me.

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
If I didn't already have one, I would buy that one for sure.

·
8,902 Posts
Very good deal. Just make sure the barrel isn;t bulged..I've run across a few old 22 rifles for sale that had the infamous squib +1 fired through the barrel. Savage makes the best entry level rifles out there.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:huh:...you still draggin' your feet on this thing?! :unsure:...figured you'd prob'ly at least have pics up by now, maybe even a range report. Did the world end and nobody bothered to tell me?! :dunno:...wha'sa' ho'dupp?! :icon_ poke:
Oh, hold your horses, swabbie*. The seller called a few minutes ago and said he just got home from work. I'm heading out now, I'll check back in inna bit.

*Honestly, a guy'd think you've been six months at sea and were heading to port.....

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
From what I can see from the photo I have that exact rifle. It is a pre-accutrigger rifle. Having said that I have no issues with the older trigger. There is a youtube video that shows how to shim the trigger to remove most of the take up. I did that small trigger mod and haven't looked back. I paid $125 new for the rifle at Walmart 4-5 years ago. I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on mine and it's a great little plinking rifle.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Oh, hold your horses, swabbie*. The seller called a few minutes ago and said he just got home from work. I'm heading out now, I'll check back in inna bit.

*Honestly, a guy'd think you've been six months at sea and were heading to port.....
The dude's certainly got his priorities all outa' whack...:dry:...goin' to work when he's got a gun to sell. :unsure:...sure is hard to understand some people.

Reactions: MoMan
1 - 20 of 42 Posts