Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

According to this article, a two year old not only managed to pick up a gun from his parent’s night stand, but managed to fire it without dropping it, and then fired it again. I just feel like there’s something missing from the backstory here, I don’t see a two year old having the arm strength to raise a gun, and hold it firm enough to fire it. The whole family will be okay- no life threatening injuries, per the article- but you know this will be used to push the gun control arguments.

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts
It's one of those HUH! Stories things just don't add up!

·
Registered
546 Posts
If a proper investigation is performed in evidence gathering, it may be determined the child did not shoot the gun.

This question of toddlers shooting guns and with such small hands comes-up in many conversations. First, what kind of handgun was it...striker fired are easy to pop-off rounds for a toddler. Think of it this way. Ever tried to take a toy away from the toddler who doesn't want to give it up ? They certainly have the strength to fire a gun. Holding onto one for subsequent shots is a bit curious but then, again, possible.

Problem here is if it did occur the way it is reported, how did the parents allow the child to get ahold of the gun ?

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts

According to this article, a two year old not only managed to pick up a gun from his parent’s night stand, but managed to fire it without dropping it, and then fired it again. I just feel like there’s something missing from the backstory here, I don’t see a two year old having the arm strength to raise a gun, and hold it firm enough to fire it. The whole family will be okay- no life threatening injuries, per the article- but you know this will be used to push the gun control arguments.
Well, there definitely is room for some common sense gun control law here. Obviously, it should be illegal for a 2-year old to shoot his family twice. Well, maybe if you want to push it even one shot at the family should be illegal, but we probably don't need to go that strict here. It really surprises me that there are currently no laws against a child shooting his family. Puzzling, I'm sure!

Why is it those pushing for "common sense" gun laws don't seem to know the difference between a girl and a boy? If ignoring nature is their idea of common sense then look out--your guns are gone!

Reactions: wbw

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
If you read it closely, the article doesn't say anything about the toddler shooting twice.
It's the crazy bullet theory, like the shot fired from the grassy knoll.
However, it does make you wonder how the mother's leg got up near the father's head.
A real puzzler!
If you're wanting to know how the mother's leg got up near the father's head....

Well, that's a different forum!

·
Registered
641 Posts
My insider tells me it was a Sig P320. The kid dropped the gun and it bounced twice, firing two rounds. :cool:
So how was the child injured by the recoil? Plus it was reported on one shot was fired.
Must have fired from the foot of the bed hitting the mother first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think people entirely underestimate toddlers and children in general. People are mystified that a 2 yo can pick up a 20oz object? People are mystified that a 2 yo can handle a 5lb trigger? Okay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Maine and the community that happened in is not far so the local news covered it. I have so far watched three news reports on it and none made mention of a second shot. The indication was the child was hit in the head/face from the recoil. As to hitting both parents at the same time, if they left the door open when the bed was bouncing and a toddler was about, they probably deserved it. There was mention of an older second child present which makes me wonder who actually pulled the trigger. I have my doubts about a two year old being able to get his hands around a pistol grip and pull the trigger at the same time. A horrible lack of responsibility on the part of the parent who left the gun where a child could reach it. There should be a common sense test before allowing one to get pregnant and one to own a firearm.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
If you read it closely, the article doesn't say anything about the toddler shooting twice.
It's the crazy bullet theory, like the shot fired from the grassy knoll.
However, it does make you wonder how the mother's leg got up near the father's head.
Hmmmmm,....a real puzzler!
I don't understand why you people are so puzzled by this??
Obviously this was an Evil Black Assault Type Pistol and the gun simply shot everyone that it could and then blamed the child for it!
come on MAN!

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Well.....think the liberals will try to outlaw 2 year olds now?........they're already working on the gun.
the Parents should have owned a Double Barreled Shotgun like our President told everyone!

·
Registered
7,021 Posts

Plausible. It depends on the size of the boy.

My great-nephew is 2 1/2 and is bigger than most 3 year olds and could pass as a small 4 year old. He's over 40 pounds and is tall enough to make it proportional (meaning he don't look fat nor is he aas round as he is tall). His Daddy is 6'3" and ain't a little built man. His Momma is a tall, rangy and raw-boned former fast pitch softball pitcher, so he ain't lacking any genetics for being a big, and strong, boy.

Small revolvers would be a likely culprit as well as the striker-fired, lowest common denominator guns or little pocket pistols. I figure that Ben is plenty big enough to make my Tomcat go BANG! at least once as well as any J-frame size revolver.

Since he got 2 shots off, I figure it was a wheel gun.

I think a bottom feeder would have jammed on ejection just because of his lack of hand strength to absorb the recoil and hang onto the gun while the slide cycles. Maybe, he hangs onto a .22 well enough for it to cycle properly but I don't see anything small enough for him to hold onto in a centerfire round not kicking out of his grip or his limp-wristing it badly enough to force a FTF or FTE.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Plausible. It depends on the size of the boy.

My great-nephew is 2 1/2 and is bigger than most 3 year olds and could pass as a small 4 year old. He's over 40 pounds and is tall enough to make it proportional (meaning he don't look fat nor is he aas round as he is tall). His Daddy is 6'3" and ain't a little built man. His Momma is a tall, rangy and raw-boned former fast pitch softball pitcher, so he ain't lacking any genetics for being a big, and strong, boy.

Small revolvers would be a likely culprit as well as the striker-fired, lowest common denominator guns or little pocket pistols. I figure that Ben is plenty big enough to make my Tomcat go BANG! at least once as well as any J-frame size revolver.

Since he got 2 shots off, I figure it was a wheel gun.

I think a bottom feeder would have jammed on ejection just because of his lack of hand strength to absorb the recoil and hang onto the gun while the slide cycles. Maybe, he hangs onto a .22 well enough for it to cycle properly but I don't see anything small enough for him to hold onto in a centerfire round not kicking out of his grip or his limp-wristing it badly enough to force a FTF or FTE.
It was a Sig P320, from what I understand.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts