Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be the worst shot ever! With two full clips of 230gr. .45, Only landed 3 in a 3-inch circle. Shot weak hand, one-handed and two-handed from various distances but not over 5-7 yards. With previous guns that I've had and shot, I considered my self reasonably accurate. Now if an intruder would break into the family compound he better be wearing a steel Jock! I need help or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It would help if you let us know what you are shooting. If it is a PT145, then many have had some initial problems with that pistol. Shooting low is the most common problem. Random shots around COM is trigger control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To the "antibubba"and et al, my gat is a 24/7 pro. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I fired the 24/7 pro without the clip, is that cool or what? Also, after I located where that round had went through my target sheet of card-board I forgot that the clip was out and tried to fire the gun again. Well wouldn't you know that I pulled the gun down trying to anticipate the recoil. What can I do to eliminate this? Thanks for your Help, Ulitmate 1611

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anticipation is the enemy

What you are indicating as your problem should have also been seen in your other firearms. Unless they were significantly lighter recoiling rounds. If you are pulling down on the firearm (jerking) that is definitely what is causing problems with your groups. Practice, practice, practice. Trigger control, trigger control, trigger control. Don't anticipate the shot (which is what you are doing with pulling so hard on the trigger to cause the pistol to cant down). Dry firing and getting used to the flash and recoil by shooting a lot of rounds is what you need to do.

Just for clarification. Your 24/7 uses a magazine. A Garand uses a clip that is inserted into the magazine of the rifle.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
First thing I do with a new weapon is bench rest it to shoot groups for accuracy and check POI with different loads. A good rest or stable sand bags are best.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Take a solid stance, whatever it is. Take a deep breath in as u raise your weapon above target. Lower weapon smoothly, taking aim. Concentrate more on sights than target, breathing slowly out as u r gettin yer fix. Same time b pullin back the trigger (u must know your trigger pull to do this). Finish trigger pull as u r fixin in on target (I know, redundant), surprising yourself (this reduces flinching). Must b smooth pull of trigger. U have 7 seconds, after that abort the shot and start again. Just my technique. There r many others. Good luck! ;D

·
Registered
625 Posts
It sounds to me like you just need to practice some more. Each gun is slightly different, so what works for one may not work for another. The grip angle, type of grip, how you are holding the gun, and your perception of recoil could all be contrbuting to shooting low.

Do you have a friend you could take to the range with you? If so, have them watch from the side and critique your shooting (in a nice way if possible). Then, use that as your evidence for what is going wrong.

Todd

·
Registered
62 Posts
Please excuse any redundancy. I agree that trigger control is most likely the issue here. Difficult to help on line, much easier on the firing line. Don't pull the trigger - press on it - slowly - until the shot breaks - it should surprise you. You can practice dry firing - with an UNLOADED (when I use a loaded gun the little lady gets upset) gun at home. Put a circle (maybe an inch dia.) on a wall, peice of paper, somewhere you can point the pistol at it (not too far away - couple of feet) aim and press on the trigger until the hammer drops. The sights should NOT move! If they move keep trying until you can drop the hammer without moving the sights. Then make the circle half the size, and continue - keep dropping the hammer without moving the sights and makin' the circle smaller until the circle is just a dot. When you can hold on a dot, drop the hammer without moving the sights - you will have improved trigger control, and you're groups will impress even you! Jerkin' and hard and fast trigger pulls cause problems - don't ask how I know. Check Gopher's link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts