Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first gun and i'm VERY new to the handgun world, but i have always wanted one and decided to buy one and give a shot. I was going to go to the range today but found out that they were closed. So i got home and i really wanted to shoot it, so i got my stuff and headed out. It was around six degrees out and no wind. Kinda cold, but i could not wait to shoot it. Anyway, they gave me Blazer 165gr TMJ at the gun shop and at 7yrd's 10 shots i was all over the paper and at 15yrd's in 20 shots i only hit the paper four times. I wanted to go home, but instead i loaded again and kept shooting. I shot all 100rd's that i had bought. At the very end i shot 10 at 7yrd's and 10 at 15yrd's and it to was all over the paper, but i did have 14 hits on the paper at the end. Did i get the right Ammo, or is it just me being new to handguns? I have no problem in the rifle world, but the sights that come on these are very different to me. I hope someone can help me. Also i really like the site and tried to do some looking around before i posted this so i would not feel stupid. Hope someone can help me......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a grip problem. First it was cccooolllldddd, so you may not have been comfortable. If you were in a heated
range, forget that.
You need to do some dry firing. Usually its best to do this before you pop some rounds. You just pick a target point and concentrate on that front sight with the back sight and target being fuzily in focus and squeeze off the trigger until it breaks, then you do it again at least 10 times.
You have to be aware of how you are gripping the gun, too. Your primary hand (I'm right handed) grips the gun firmly, but not tightly, while the left hand cradles the gun and the primary hand with a firm grip. In my case, I tend to shoot left , so my left (cradleing hand is slightly pushing against the pistol and my primary hand. It's all very comfortable. My elbows aren't locked and I stand easy.
Squeeze off a round. Without moving or changing stance make note of where the round hit. Aim (front sight) where you did the first time and squeeze another off. The shot should be a surprise as you are squeezing constantly and gently. Note where this shot hit. Hopefully it's pretty close to the first hole. Shoot once more (repeat the above step). At this point, if your shots are hitting close to each other, even if off the target where you aimed, you have a point of reference for adjusting your sights.
Take your time and enjoy yourself. You are competing against yourself You will win!! Keep shooting!

Dave ;D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just some words of advice...

A .40S&W is not the best choice for a new shooter. .22lr or 9mm would have been a better choice for a beginner.

A few other things...

1. Seek some basic pistol training. Local gun clubs will probably offer it as will gun shops with ranges.

2. Learn and follow the 4 golden rules of shooting: They are...
_________________________________________________1. Always treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2. Never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Know what is behind your intended target. (bullets go through things. sometimes, lots of things.)
4. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to fire.

3. Practice and become familiar with your weapon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me get to the point. I have been around guns for 25yrs. I now safety like the back of my hand, but i have only had a handgun for short time. My questions in my post are:
1. Ammo
2. Sight's

Not mad, but just need some help. The first post was very helpful. Thank you dgray64.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended you but your opening sentence put my advice into beginners mode.

This is my first gun and i'm VERY new to the handgun world...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem....not offended i'm a big boy. Thank you for the advice. I'm work to get my CCW and have taking the safety/class and the test and have passed both of them. All i have to do is shoot my gun for them. I have to shoot 10rds at 7yrd's and 10 at 15yrd's. Must be able to hit a CCW target 14 times to pass. After shooting it i don't know about that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd still recommend that you pick up a .22lr for practicing. It's a helluva lot cheaper.

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45 and a Ruger MKIII 22/45. The Ruger gets far more range time than the 45 does simple because I can afford to shoot it. I'd rather throw .45 lead down range but can't always.

The Ruger is a lot of fun to shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts