Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't use the word "lost", because it's gotta be around here somewhere.

My wife is gonna kill me. I remember when I bought the gun safe, I stressed how important it was to have it.

I got more guns laying around the house here and there, than I have in the safe.

I'm picking them up now, as I'm looking for the missing gun, and returning them to the safe.

It has to be either in the house here, or in the garage.

It's not in any of the range bags. Not on the bench where I clean the guns. Not stuck in a drawer.

Problem is, I got a major mess around here. In the process of packing to move, so there are cardboard boxes or every possible shape and size piled up everywhere.

I just came across: Three guns (in cases) on garage floor, in corner by reloading bench. Two more in the wheeled box we bring to the range. Three more in one of the soft-side range bags. One (loaded) here in the desk drawer. Putting them all back into the safe right now, with the exception of the loaded one in the drawer.

Even though I'm sure it's around here somewhere, I got a really lousy feeling in my stomach, as you can probably well imagine.

Basically, I posted this to serve as a lesson to others. I'm ashamed of myself, as I should be. I'm gonna resume searching, and putting the guns back in the safe now.

Have at me guys. Let me have it with both barrels. I deserve it. This is inexcusable

·
Administrator
35,527 Posts
Sounds like you have the 'feeling lousy' bases covered but.....well, here goes - man, you have GOT to get organized. What if you had somebody in the house that 'borrowed' the gun thats missing? I'd be tearing that house apart until I found it. But I'm sure you are.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Did you check your vehicle?
Hope you didn't leave it at the range.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Did you look next to the seat cushion of your chair? That's where I lose mine occasionally.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can relate! It's hard to keep track of one's possessions. Now, with out getting preachy, (and I hope you don't have kids around-Don't answer that) This is why you have only one out of the safe at a time! To save the wear on my safe, I use a lock box for the daily bed side friend. Clean up and if you lose one (I don't know how) you will learn a lesson.
Good luck my friend!

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
You'll find it. That's happened to me before.
I knew I was missing a gun, but I didn't know which one it was. First thing I did, was print my spread sheet and take inventory. Seeing what gun was missing, remembering when I last used it and finally to one of the range bags. I found it in a side pocket.
Granted, I didn't have to do this with a house turned upside down.
Good Luck! You will find it though.

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
Well Rottiejake, if it makes you feel better, I have done the same thing. I have guns stashed everywhere, and I really have to think when I am looking for a particular one. I have always found the one I was looking for. I rencetly labeled all the long and short gun cases so I didn't have to look inside the cases.

·
Registered
390 Posts
:yeahbaby01:Happy for you and your peace of mind.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not gonna tell you WHY there is a gun safe there in your house or WHAT its for... I think you did learn a lesson though... I know I would totally be losing my mind if I had a "Missing" firearm, because my 12 yr old sister lives with me and well it just wouldn't be a good scenario....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The only thing I want to say I think you should let me watch over some of your extra's. I don't have a problem keeping up anymore I am down to 3 :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey man, I've been there too.

For about 5 years I thought I had "lost" my Taurus 66 .357. I always kept it in a certain place in my closet where it was close at night but out of sight to family wandering around. One day I went to get it and it wasn't there. That certain hiding place was within an old folded blanket on a waist high shelf, but the blanket was gone. I asked my wife where the blanket was and she said she either gave it to Goodwill or put it in the trash quite a while ago. OMG! ... Goodwilll got my fully loaded handgun... or it went in the trash? I turned the closet and the house upside down again, as I wouldn't accept that. But, no Luck.

Last August we began packing to move to Colorado and my closet was the last thing to get cleaned out. After going through that closet about 10 times earlier looking for my pistol, I never found the .357. To get the closet completely emptied, I had to get a step stool to reach the last stuff on a high top shelf, which had a lot of old photos, a hat box, and an old straw hat. I got everything off the shelf except the straw hat. When I picked up that old staw hat, there was my pistol. You can't imagine the shock, relief, and happiness I felt.

To this day, I do not remember when or why I moved it up on that upper shelf, under a straw hat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I let my wife put my things away I lose stuff too. I still haven't found my Crossbreed Supertuck, but can account for all my firearms.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts