Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Very nice..... I had a M-92 Winchester chambered for that round once and it was a real tack driver but a little under powered for anything but small game.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
The .32-20 was a popular caliber back in the day.

They command premium prices on the used gun market nowadays.

Thanks for sharing a view of your collection.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I failed to identify them. From top left CW: Army Special 1919, Army Special 1922, New Army 1907, Police Positive Special 1925, and last Bisley Model 1912. The Bisley was my GrandFathers gun, I inherited it in 1956, it got me started casting and hand loading.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The .32 is a accurate round even though it has been eclipsed by other rounds that are more
powerful. It used to be a popular handgun and rifle cartridge. In the early 1900's most police
departments used this round in their service weapons. In Europe, target shooters still like this
round. I have a .32 Long S&W J frame and I still like to shoot it every now and then. It is easy
on the hand. My father has a Colt Police Positive that my grandfather bought from a police chief
in the town where he grew up. I have been asking him to let me try that at the range, but so
far I have had no luck.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
good old caliber as long as you accept that like many older cartridge its vastly under powered, which typically makes for an enjoyable cartridge to shoot.
its hey day was when it was chambered in the pistol/rifle and a person only needed 1 cartridge for both guns.
Much like the lure of the 45 long colt, 44 magnum, 357 magnum rifles of today.
these old guns/cartridges are our bridge to the past gun lovers.
Nice collection.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Very nice! I guess today is Colt day on the forum. I just looked at another poster's collection of Colts.

Oops, looks like the other poster is you as well. LOL. You've got a passel of Colts. Congrats!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Nice collection of revolvers! I am jealous! :D BTW, what are the ballistics on the .32-20? I could look it up, but I just thought I would ask.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cast and load the old Ideal bullet #3118. It drops at 115 grains, I load to a pedestrian speed of about 800 or so.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
Nice collection of revolvers! I am jealous! :D BTW, what are the ballistics on the .32-20? I could look it up, but I just thought I would ask.
S----L----O---W to S---L---O---W---E---R!
seriously, in the pistols realistically about 700-900 FPS.
depending on projectile weight.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
[video=youtube;Gh5zTCdNH_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5zTCdNH_0]32-20 Blues [Remastered] ROBERT JOHNSON (1936) Delta Blues Guitar Legend - YouTube[/video]

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I very nearly paid almost a thousand dollars for a Colt Police Positive in .32-20 and then came to my senses. But now I don't have one and still want one. Maybe I should have bought it after all.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I find Colt Army Specials and Police Positives as well as S&W Model 1905,4th change, all in 32-20 going for 300$ and up in my part of the world. I paid 600$ total for a 1919 AS about 2 years ago, most I have ever paid for a Colt unless it was a Python. The AS was graded at 95-97%. I traded a S&W 66-5 and a little cash for it. I find it hard to picture a PPS for 1000$, mine was less than 300$ this past fall. They are out there, look, watch and have cash money in your pocket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts