Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keenan Brandon hog 1.jpg View attachment 22215 View attachment 22215

Okay, just post one photo now, I want to make sure these are not full size. A friend of mine, Mr. Joe Outdoors America, age 67......set feral hog snares for the first time last Sunday.

He had never set a snare in his life. He only set up 7 snares and I was amazed with the results. This friend is meticulous in every thing he does. He can lean against a tree and blend in. He holds Texas Boone and Crocket records with both compound Bow and re-curved bow.

I have had nightmares about me being the hunted and him being the hunter. Bird hunting is the only one of the manly sports I ever beat him in and that includes fishing.

The snares yielded one very dead boar, two very pissed off still live boars and one very dead coyote. A live trap a Fox, he was trying to trap coons, felt bad about the Fox that had died.

I dispatched the two live hogs. I wish I had a video of them when we saw them and they saw us. but my main goal was to nail them before they broke free from the adrenalin rush they got. We were only 10-12 yards away on the first and 5-7 on the second live hog

I had loaded +P 125 grain hollow-points for accuracy instead of .357 158 grain magnum hollowpoints. Still although the first live boar had the first shot penetrate the upper portion of his neck and come out the lower side, He was still nothing you wanted to deal with, and I made a head shot from the side at the base of his ear his ear and then the remaining four shots into his shoulder area and it was lights out.

I was going to grab a speed strip of +P and magnum loads to carry with me, but I was carrying a 20 gauge as we were checking the snares, so the second hog I took out with 20 gauge sure shot 7/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot at 3-5 yards. I actually got respect for Bird shot at that range. I fired three shots with the Coup de gras being a 3 yard shot to to the back of the head.

There was one snare that had apparently caught a pig under its shouder which had thrashed about a lot and cut the cable and escaped. One snare that had fallen and the 7th undisturbed.

Good results on 4 of seven snares.

We never located the quail, lots of great cover, a place that 5 years ago would have yielded 8 covies, we never found them, even with a Enthusiastic Brit.

The evening blind hunts on the feeders yielded nothing other than a covey of 15 quail when I was setting in a 100 yard blind with a 25-06.

We reset all the snares and added some. That is the way to go.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Great post!

Looks as if you and your twin brother were having a good time. :D:D

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my youngest son and a good friend and they had a good time. I am nearly 64.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I was just trying to get a rise out of you. :)

Those boys look enough alike to be brothers, though. Maybe it's the big ole' cheesey grins on their faces. :D:D

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I got back to the truck, I loaded the 66 up with .357 Mag in 158 grain JHP.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Glad you got some nice hogs even though they were thrashing around, bottom line, pork on the grill. I shot a mule deer a while back with a 7 mm mag around 5 times but he just stood there for awhile, finally he keeled over and on closer inspection there was a giant hole where the heart was supposed to be, the venison tasted just as good as if I dropped him with a neck shot.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pig 1.jpg

This was the first live hog we came up on caught in a snare, he had apparently just got caught in the snare as the snare was around his neck and he was very excited.

pig 2.jpg

This was the second live hog we found, the snare was only around the top part of his snout and mouth. He was really P.O.'d

Coyote.jpg

This coyote was dead in the snare

Jack and Coyotes.jpg

My friend the ultimate sportsman with two coyotes he had shot from a tree stand last Sunday and the third coyote we had removed from the snare. Ruger is in the background still looking for quail. Ruger was really good about staying away from the hogs (alive or dead) and the dead coyote carcasses.

got away.jpg

The second snare we checked, the pig had wrapped the snare around three small trees and then had broke the snare and got away

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
setting snare.jpg

Setting up a snare.

Ruger Resting.jpg

Ruger taking a break in the shade. He really enjoyed his day.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you got some nice hogs even though they were thrashing around, bottom line, pork on the grill. I shot a mule deer a while back with a 7 mm mag around 5 times but he just stood there for awhile, finally he keeled over and on closer inspection there was a giant hole where the heart was supposed to be, the venison tasted just as good as if I dropped him with a neck shot.
Jobarr, you really don't even think about trying to dress out a very old boar. Piglets and young guilts (females) would be about all I would every look for to get meat. The feral hogs are all covered with ticks and about all you do is drag them off a little ways from the snare. At a point, other hogs will finally eat them.

·
Super Moderator
26,865 Posts
Pic of Ruger say its invalid!
Got spare bacon?

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Linky still no worky.:(

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should be just photos up and no links

·
Super Moderator
26,865 Posts
I want Ruger! I want Ruger! I want Ruger!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You guys had way too much fun. And 64 ain't too old.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I wish I was ONLY 64!
OH well.
Too bad you didn't get any quail. That's my kind of fun! Actually any kind of shootin is fun. LOL

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well I have a new grandson coming into the world on Tue. Morning in Lubbock and will try and get a first hand account of this trip over some coffee ! It looks like all that backyard target practice on those squirrels finally paid off!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts