Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still love shooting this thing! I put another 20 rounds through it today. That brings my total round count to 120. The last 40 have been Remington Core-Lokt 150gr. I picked up 5 boxes a while back for $14 each. If you ever get a chance to shoot one of these Savage Strikers DO IT! You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
Well, I have a Contender for precision shooting. What I like about it is it fits in a UM's shoulder holster like a real handgun. :D I've shot 5 deer with it, but haven't hunted with it in a long time. Right now the .410/.45 Colt barrel is on it and I've taken a few squirrel and doves with it on my out back treks. It's great for just roaming around the property or working out back where I might desire a shotgun, but don't wanna tote a REAL shotgun. :D It's effective on small game to about 30 yards.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not shot a contender yet. I have handled a few and might pick one up one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
Contenders can shoot sub MOA, rival the Striker for precision, depending on caliber of course. I shot IHMSA with mine using a 7mmTCU barrel and IHMSA micrometer adjustable iron sights which I still have. I've been tempted to mount a scope on it, have one I took of a Ruger Mk 2 when I put a red dot on the Ruger. I haven't done it, yet. I'd rather hunt with my proven .30-30 barrel. It shoots 1.5 MOA with a Nosler 150 BT which is more'n good enough for deer hunting to 200 yards. Furtherest I've taken game with it is 90 yards, though.

I've often thought about getting into a .22 Hornet barrel with that gun, but now that I've got all the reloading stuff and lots of brass for .223 (my M4), thinking .223 would make more sense. I could use that 2x scope on that if I get one. I don't have any actual use for it, though, except just shooting groups off the bench. I guess I could use it for turkey hunting, though, or shoot a coyote with it, though I don't hunt the yotes.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I still love shooting this thing! I put another 20 rounds through it today. That brings my total round count to 120. The last 40 have been Remington Core-Lokt 150gr. I picked up 5 boxes a while back for $14 each. If you ever get a chance to shoot one of these Savage Strikers DO IT! You won't regret it.

What caliber?
I have a Remington XP100 in 708 Rem. That I used for IHMSA decades ago. I did some trigger work on it and it is a one pound trigger. I also have 2 T/C Contenders with 6 barrels from 22lr to 30-30.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What caliber?
I have a Remington XP100 in 708 Rem. That I used for IHMSA decades ago. I did some trigger work on it and it is a one pound trigger. I also have 2 T/C Contenders with 6 barrels from 22lr to 30-30.
It's a 308.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts