Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to my LGS today and I was looking at what they had in stock. At the case with the 1911's
I saw a gun and for some reason, my eyes kept drifting back to it. Then, it seemed like I was in
a trance, I had to handle it. After inspecting it, I asked about the price. At under $ 500.00 it was
within my budget. So I went home with a Iver Johnson M1911A1. I love the feel of it and the
stock grips are nice, it is tight and the slide action is very smooth. The trigger is a little stiff and
I would like to put a larger frame safety on it and maybe give the sights an upgrade, but all in
all, I am happy so far. Pictures and a range report will be coming soon. I can't wait to see why
so many people have so many good things to say about the 1911 Model. By the way, I was a
little bit disappointed, there were no Taurus 1911s in stock. I really wanted to check those out.
If I like my 1911, I'm sure there will be more to follow.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
welcome to the herd and congratulations.
I have not seen nor handled the Iver Johnson 1911, I am familiar with some of the older different model Ivers., mostly revolvers.
I think that the 1911 is produced in the phillipines (could be another country), let us know how she works out for you, looking for the pics and range report!
Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I will be interested in a report as well. The one Iver 1911 that I handled seemed pretty solid and well made....

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Congrats on the new1911! Enjoy!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Welcome to the fraternity. You most likely just bought a habit not a gun. Watch out 1911's seem to like having other 1911's to keep em company.

·
Registered
348 Posts
1911 are just good. but they should come with a w.arning the box about them being habit forming. once you shoot it you will understand. enjoy and welcome to the clan.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, I just got back in. First the picture Charter Arms Bulldog 003.jpg

Now the range report. I didn't bother cleaning the gun before I took it out. I would
say my experience was a mixed bag of results. I fired eighty rounds through it. Now
the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
It was very comfortable to shoot, no 1911 bites, easy on the hand, it felt very natural
There were no misfires
The trigger was smooth and had no stacking
After getting used to it and the iron sights, the accuracy was good, especially on the
last magazine I shot.

Cons:
The factory magazine might go into the trash. I had a few failure to feeds before I
switched magazines. After that, there was no more misbehaving.
The ejector spring might need a little work or replacing. I had at least three spent
casings pop me in the noggin. (no damage done, I'm hardheaded anyway)
At first, I was scattering shots all over creation. By the end of the range session,
I was doing better, but to be honest my Glock 21SF shot better its first fifty rounds

My 1911 is a solid gun and it has potential. Once I get the issues fixed that were
mentioned, I'm going to love 1911s as much as some of you other members do.

P.S. If you buy an Iver Johnson 1911, be sure to get at least one more magazine
for it. It's a good thing I did.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
CONGRATS!! After you 'tweak' this one a bit, you'll be on to another. :D

welcome to the herd and congratulations.
I have not seen nor handled the Iver Johnson 1911, I am familiar with some of the older different model Ivers., mostly revolvers.
I think that the 1911 is produced in the phillipines (could be another country), let us know how she works out for you, looking for the pics and range report!
Enjoy.
Yes, it is Philippine, and I think the 'base' is made by RIA. Either RIA or SAM, but very good base either way. Happy Shootin' and Be Safe!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Congrats on picking up a great gun and a bad habit. There are all kinds of cheap and expensive mags out there. I've bought a bunch from Joe's 1911 Mag Mania! and they have functioned flawlessly in my 94 year old Colt M-1911, my Llama Max-I CF, and my Taurus PT1911. They are below the middle of the price range.
Enjoy your 1911 in good health. :guns:

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Congratulations on your new Iver Johnson 1911 and hope you enjoy it for years to come! :cool:

BTW, for the 1911, I've had very good luck with Mec-Gar and Wilson Magazines.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Congratulations on the new gun!

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Cons:
The factory magazine might go into the trash. I had a few failure to feeds before I
The ejector spring might need a little work or replacing. I had at least three spent
At first, I was scattering shots all over creation. My 1911 is a solid gun and it has potential. Once I get the issues fixed that were
QUOTE]

AHHH??? I think that you may be speaking of the extractor?? if so it doesn't have a spring if the Iver Johnson is a typical 1911, which i think it is.
the extractor is a spring steel unit and so basically the extractor is a spring if you will.
tuning the extractor is easy and there are several instructions on the internet as to how to do this.
the hardest part may be getting it out of the gun, the actual tuning only takes a couple minutes.
One thing that you might consider before doing anything is to clean the gun throughly and just shoot it for a few hundred rounds to see if the ejection doesn't change an quit hitting you in the head.
several things like slide speed can effect ejection angle/distance and a tight new pistol will sometimes do this as will a dirty / dry pistol.
sounds like you just need to run more rounds throguh that puppy.
enjoy and keep us posted.
I have been lucky with magazines and pretty much all factory and after market mags work for me, but there are always ones that present problems.

Reactions: jwc007 and ncfarmer

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
CONGRATS!!
Yes, it is Philippine, and I think the 'base' is made by RIA. Either RIA or SAM, but very good base either way. Happy Shootin' and Be Safe!
thanks for the confirmation, I thought that i had read that was the case!
lets see, Iver johnson, Rock island armory, Metro arms, ATI, and Citadel are made there, seems like i am misisng one more??
anyway thanks for the input.
Most be a low production weapon as i have yet to see one in stock here, but have read about them.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
thanks for the confirmation, I thought that i had read that was the case!
lets see, Iver johnson, Rock island armory, Metro arms, ATI, and Citadel are made there, seems like i am misisng one more??
anyway thanks for the input.
Most be a low production weapon as i have yet to see one in stock here, but have read about them.
Charles Daly perhaps?? I've seen a few IJs on GunBroker, but here is their new and improved web sight. MSRPs seem a bit steep for a 'new comer'.

Iver Johnson Arms

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cons:
At first, I was scattering shots all over creation. My 1911 is a solid gun and it has potential. Once I get the issues fixed that were
QUOTE]

AHHH??? I think that you may be speaking of the extractor?? if so it doesn't have a spring if the Iver Johnson is a typical 1911, which i think it is.
the extractor is a spring steel unit and so basically the extractor is a spring if you will.
tuning the extractor is easy and there are several instructions on the internet as to how to do this.
the hardest part may be getting it out of the gun, the actual tuning only takes a couple minutes.
One thing that you might consider before doing anything is to clean the gun throughly and just shoot it for a few hundred rounds to see if the ejection doesn't change an quit hitting you in the head.
several things like slide speed can effect ejection angle/distance and a tight new pistol will sometimes do this as will a dirty / dry pistol.
sounds like you just need to run more rounds throguh that puppy.
enjoy and keep us posted.
I have been lucky with magazines and pretty much all factory and after market mags work for me, but there are always ones that present problems.
Thanks for the input. Come to think of it, it thought it was very tight, there was no rattle or play in it at all. I'm new to
the 1911, it will all come me in time I hope.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts