Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm becoming quite the little gunsmith thanks to the tips I've learned here. I've been trying to shy way (somewhat) from the tried and true Marine Corps tactics of "Must-close-eyes-and-destroy-everything-in-my-path".

Automotive lighting Fictional character

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I first took the picture I realized the serial # was showing so I had to go back and do some editing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice job. I have them on my PT-140 and PT-111. I like them a lot.

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
I like them, please give a range report on accuracy when you give them a test drive.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Good Job!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Williams makes some great products. They have been at it for a while too. I have a set of their rail mounts on my Mossberg 930 - a great all purpose sight!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm batting .500.

Today I decided to loosen the sights on my newer PT145 in preparation for changing them at some future date.

The front sight was very easy to move but the rear was not so cooperative. Which seems backwards to most experiences from what I've read here.

I used the same technique I'd used on my other 145 but unfortunately the screw stripped out.

It looked like it was stripped coming from the factory (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;) ) before I even started but I thought I'd still give it a shot.

So now I have to figure out how to remove this set screw with minimal damage to the slide.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well I'm batting .500.

Today I decided to loosen the sights on my newer PT145 in preparation for changing them at some future date.

The front sight was very easy to move but the rear was not so cooperative. Which seems backwards to most experiences from what I've read here.

I used the same technique I'd used on my other 145 but unfortunately the screw stripped out.

It looked like it was stripped coming from the factory (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;) ) before I even started but I thought I'd still give it a shot.

So now I have to figure out how to remove this set screw with minimal damage to the slide.
Ouch! Is it a set screw or does it go into the slide - I'm not familiar with the 145 sights. There are a few options. Got a pic??

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch! Is it a set screw or does it go into the slide - I'm not familiar with the 145 sights. There are a few options. Got a pic??
Yes it's an actual set screw. I'm not sure if I could get close enough for a clear picture but I can try.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ixnay on the pictures. I can't get it to focus correctly.

BTW I wonder how many of the younger members know what "ixnay" means in the context of this message?

As far as the set screwis concerned tomorrow I'm going to use my wife's Dremel and drill out that baby. The screw is already ruined but I just have to take my time and keep the surface of the slide underneath the screw as pristine as possible.

I will repeat to myself "Must go slow....must go slow....it's not a race".

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,045 Posts
mvv1970
you might try a left hand twist bit, that way if it catches it will back the screw out, instead of setting it deeper. JAT
remember to run your drill in reverse!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mvv1970
you might try a left hand twist bit, that way if it catches it will back the screw out, instead of setting it deeper. JAT
remember to run your drill in reverse!
Thanks. I don't think I would have thought of that!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well I'm batting .500.

Had the same problem with mine even after using Kroil, heat, taps with a tack hammer, etc. Never had such a stubborn set screw. I had to literally cut it with a dremel cut-off disk to remove it. But, I did it without damage to the slide. Love the new sights on mine, I got the adjustable Fire Sight rear and now the HiVis low front sight.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This thread has a happy ending. I finally got the set screw out. I went to Lowe's and bought a screw extractor.

At first glance it looked too big and I wasn't very confident of success but once the bit caught it backed the screw out in a few seconds.

WHEW!!! I was beginning to get a little worried about this.

And I'm proud of myself. Just a few years ago I would have taken a hammer and cold chisel after that sight. ;) The effect on the SS slide would not have been pretty I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm a leftie so I shoot low right with mine. This is the only handgun I have ever had that trouble with. My cousin shot is and was low left. Guess when I put the fire sights on nobody but me will be able to hit anything.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.