Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased my 1911 a month or so back and I haven't had time to go out and shoot it or even chamber a round. yesterday I broke it down and cleaned it, and afterwards I finally decided to chamber a round, but it didn't work out so well, the extractor was keeping it from fully chambering. so I dropped the mag and opened the slide to let the round out. I pretty much though that I was going to either have to take it to a smith or send it in to get it in working order. But I was thinking about it today while I was at work, and came to conclusion that because I was being gentle and not letting the force of the slide going back to the normal position on its own was probably stopping the round from being chambered. so when I got home I tried just that, and what do you know the round chambered perfectly fine. This is where the problem is, I dropped the mag and attempted to unchamber the round, but the slide will not move more than a quarter inch no matter how hard I try. I have it in its case with the safety on at the moment. I highly doubt that going out and trying to fire it to get it out in this condition is very safe or a good idea in anyway shape or form. I tried searching for any similar post's before posting this and I found one but it was a different firearm, so im just wondering if anyone has any advice or any idea how to safely get the live round out of the chamber without damaging the gun. any and all help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well im sorry for wasting anyone's time with reading this, I fixed the problem, I removed the barrel bushing and recoil spring and that seemed to allow the slide to have free motion to "extract" the live round. I really wish I knew what caused this situation, but I think im going to take it to a gunsmith and see if they can figure out what the problem was, I really love this gun, its my First Taurus firearm and my second firearm I own. I cant bear the thought of getting rid of my 1911. you may close or remove the thread, whatever works. thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
Welcome aboard! My PT 1911 SS is my "go to" pistol and it always accompanies me to the range. Manually working the slide sometimes cannot replicate the action of the machine. Perform your safety checks on the pistol such as a complete observation of the gun for loose parts as field stripped and assembled, cock it and put the safety on to test the function of the safety while gripping the pistol and pulling the trigger. Take the safety off and try to pull the trigger without fully gripping the pistol (without depressing the grip safety) and making sure it doesn't trip the hammer. Loading live ammo in the pistol, at home, and checking function is not a good idea. If you can rack the slide and the safety checks are fine take it to the range and shoot it. Guns are machines and will function better after being used and having the components "settle in".

Let us know what you think after your range session!

PS...NEVER insert a round into a semi-automatic pistol through the ejector port. They are designed to pick the round up off the top of the magazine and the rim of the case slides up and into the extractor. Doing it any other way forces your extractor to jam straight against the base of the case to jump over the rim which can and will damage your extractor.

Reactions: darbo and bre346

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
And Welcome to the dark side from Minnesota

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I would also add that it is a very dangerous practice to remove the barrel bushing with a live round in the chamber. Please don't do that again. If you have a jamb that you cannot clear and a live round in the chamber, place the gun in a safe place pointing away from you and others. Call a gunsmith, or call Taurus Customer Service and get some help. Let someone with experience help you next time. We really like our members to avoid shooting themselves by accident! Welcome to TaurusArmed.net and thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you got it working!

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
I need to quit posting before I've had my coffee...I did not see the part about the live round stuck in the chamber.

Skiff's advice is absolutely the best. If while pointing the muzzle at a safe place, preferably not inside your home, you cannot muscle the slide back to extract the round then a call to Taurus Customer Service or a visit to a gunsmith is the only way to handle the issue.

Reactions: MilProGuy and ozzy

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL. MO - proceed with caution!!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yellow Facial expression Emoticon Text Smile Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anytime I try to chamber a round without letting the slide go home, It ends up locking up and not going into battery correctly.
Anytime I let the slide go home by pushing down on the slide stop, It always goes into home. Another thing could be that particular ammo is not fancied with your firearm.
I would try with different ammo and see if this happens again but before doing that, See if anything is broke and call Taurus CS up and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
welcome from North Fla
and a little advice buy a pack of snap caps fro tinkering with your mags and gun and never ever take apart a live bullet jammed gun

jhp

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
I'm going to lock this one down as the OP's second post suggests. Any updates on the malfunction, please open another thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.