Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, it was business as usual. A strange car parks on the street by the park across from my house and sits and waits... talking on a cell phone, checking out every car that comes by, constantly watching the mirrors. When the weather improves my street becomes a drive-up drug operation. The deal will go down while I'm working on my landscaping or while 20 kids are playing in the park. It doesn't matter and they don't care what's around.

So, last night I played it a little different. No confronting the car, or taking photos, or calling 241-COPS. Instead I went outside, while the buyer was waiting, with a VERY poorly concealed PT111 in a holster with a phone in one hand and a Sprite Zero in the other. I was looking over my plants and new tree, reaching enough so that my shirt kept lifting up to expose what was on my hip. Then I sat on my front steps and proceeded to make a phone call. That was enough for the nervous buyer... they drove off.

The real payoff was about 5 minutes later when the seller, someone I've seen operate on my street before, comes driving by real slow like he's looking for something that he can't find. He makes a couple of awkward U-turns while making calls on his phone and drives off into the distance.

I can't stop the buyers and sellers. And the cops can't seem to catch them no matter how many pictures, videos, license plate numbers, or phone calls... so I think the poorly concealed pistol and telephone will be my strategy this year. That will let them know to take it someplace else.

If you are interested in what a drive-up drug deal looks like, here's my YouTube:

This one's from my security cam:

This one I was filming from the bedroom when my wife decided to ask the person waiting if he needed some help... and then the sellers show up:

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Yeah, seems like you got some problems there! I assume the Black suv, was the dealer. And then the Van. The police have really been able to do nothing?
Not sure if exposing yourself, and your gun is a great idea. But I am not there, not exposed to that now that I am living on the farm. I know when I lived in a town close to a major metro area, I saw the same stuff going on. Of course, one neighbor was an undercover LEO, 3 boys in the neighborhood were full time LEO's also. And I was lucky enough to have a state trooper living about a block away.

We had a major apartment complex behind us, and that is where the action took place. LE tried to catch em in the act, but we only had one raid that I know of, on a guy who was known to be a pusher. And that was over 20 years.

Guess you got to catch em with the goods, or make a sale to a cop to make it stick.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the other hand... who am I to stand in the way of commerce?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
high5apparatus said:
on the other hand... who am I to stand in the way of commerce?
Well there is always the confrontation factor. "but officer he threatened me and I had to blow him away". Well not really, but I am sure they would arrest you and take the perp to the hospital, or funeral home.
You need to cover your butt big time, some non drug dealer sees you flashing your piece, and calls the cops,"MAN WITH A GUN", and your the one in trouble. Gee, I am so glad I am on the farm, with alarms and camera's too. Even though the only place they could deal would be in my driveway within sight of my house.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm all for observing and reporting. Having video to back it up is a big bonus. :thumb: I also respect your initiative. I'm sure you already know this, but you might want to reconsider confronting a drug dealer. It could go bad in a heart beat.

If it were me, I'd look at alternative solutions besides LE, e.g. the media, City Council, etc. I noticed light posts on the street. Maybe you could talk someone in the City Council into erecting a sign saying "This Street Subject To 24HR Video Surveillance." That might encourage the drug dealers to conduct their business elsewhere.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who says I confronted a drug dealer with a gun? I was simply tending to my front yard, which is elevated well above street grade, with a printing sidearm while a twitchy woman was waiting for her dealer... I say that is far safer than the time my wife yelled, "You better not be selling drugs on my street!"

Safer, but more empowering.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
man i really feel sorry for you.i have been around that crap before me and my wife bought our house.when we lived in a apartment(nice ones too)there was a dealler that moved in next to us.people would come and go all night.they would knock on our door looking to score and say i know your there.PLEASE do me a favor and never ever ever let your wife go and do that again.....ever.they dont care about anything but making money and if she gets in the way of it who knows what they might do.i might get some small signs made that says this is aa drug deallers stop.or somthing like that and post them in my front lawn.like the house for sale signs.i dont think its to bad of an idea to wear your gun on your side if its legal.in texas if you have a CHL you can wear it and if you are on your property it dont have to be hidden.maybe work with the police and ask them if they would want to hide out in your house or garage and bust them.what ever you do BECAREFUL.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drugs give people short memories. Every spring they start popping up again in front of the park, and every year I run them off. The drug dealers around me are interested in making money, not going after people. They just move along to a block where I'm sure there are much less annoying (less armed) people living. If you only knew the extent to which I've tried to get the police involved...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm having the same problem on and off on my street. I think it's moved further down out of my view but I don't think it's completely gone. We had a guy from around the block, living on a main street. He couldn't sell in front of his house, so he walked around the block and was running a drive up drug store in front of mine. He would stand out there and wait, then a car would pull up and they would do the transaction. He was selling pot. He didn't try and hide it. He'd stand there flashing rolls of cash and bags of dope in his hands. I took video, called the cops, and finally I got a hold of someone who explained to me he was already under investigation and to pass on any info I had. He couldn't use the video. One day I see the guy walking down my street with a semi automatic pistol sticking out of the front of his pants with his shirt pulled up to show it. He was tickling the grip as he was walking up to a parked car. When he identified the occupants he pulled the shirt over his gun and got in the car and they drove off. A couple weeks later the cops came down the street with two cars and officers on foot and arrested everyone.
It's been fairly quiet since, but I think they're just maintaining a low profile.
I feel your pain man. I hate it, I hate what things have become.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I really have no clue why the authorities are failing to act on this situation. I'm sure you've called many times over. But what Robby said is true. The cops must catch them in the act. In NY if a citizen puts in as many complaints as you obviously have then the Dept. will set up a 24 hour "sit and watch" program at the location for two weeks. Using plainclothes officers in unmarked cars far enough from the scene that the deals still go down.

I don't know what kind of Mickey Mouse operation the police run where you are but this is not tolerated in the Depts. I have worked for.

Go to the local news channel for your best results. They eat these kind of stories up. And once the Chief of Police sees it----you won't have a problem any longer.

Above all....neither you nor your wife should get involved trying to stop these dealers.
This is not a movie, it is reality. You have a PT111, but they also have guns. What you don't want is a shootout in front of your home.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell... the shootout in front of my home was a major factor in me deciding to buy a gun.

A public street, or a city-owned park, cannot be reported as a nuisance property, so it's really hampered the system in which the police have to operate. Also, and you'll never believe this, but the drug dealing doesn't happen when the police are around and they can never respond fast enough to catch anything. It really is a piss poor situation, so I do what I can. Sitting on the front porch, calling the drug unit, keeping a log of the dates/times/license plates, making sure the captain of the local district continues to know about the problem, etc. But it gets old.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
So you are saying that you witnessing drug transactions on the street in front of your house cannot be usefully reported to the police???

CALL THE MEDIA---SHOW THEM THE VIDEOS----TELL THE STORY TO THEM.

You will get results.

·
Registered
136 Posts
high5apparatus said:
This one I was filming from the bedroom when my wife decided to ask the person waiting if he needed some help... and then the sellers show up:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pJIh5GLuEn8
Holy crap. WTF was she thinking? Kinda' crazy, don'tchya' think? ( not calling your wife crazy, but, damn..)
Don't let her do that anymore, OK!!??

:)

TIm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey!! I'm not a 'newbie' anymore!! Wheee!!

Ok, so.. I'm realistic.. I'm still a newbie, with a better title!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you know when and what time they usually show up. You need to put nails in the street, on both sides. Wait for them to arrive. Call the cops and Pray their tires are flat.

Or a better way us put a bomb right at the edge of your property and blow them up. Explaining that to the cops may be difficult.

Seriously though, can you pull a citizens arrest?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Robby said:
Bubba, not a great idea. get the LE to do their job, not get him killed, or maimed.
I am asking about the legality of a Citizens arrest, and not suggesting he do it. However there comes a time when you have to do something. What that is, I dont know.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Man, all this is just too familiar. I live in a "sanctuary" state (Colorado) and a sanctuary city. We have over 10,000 identified gang members in my metro area. Salvadoran, Honduran, Mexican, you name it. Their main source of income: drugs. LE will break up a house (distribution center) and another one just pops up nearby. The problem, of course, is loose borders and some seriously developed drug habits in the U.S. of A.

These people often get plea-bargained and rarely deported. They just anti-up the bail and move to another locale. They figure "gettin caught" into their overhead.

This is one reason I carry EVERYWHERE!!

smit

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do a Google search, you can find cheap fake survalence video cameras. They can be mounted outside and have a lit "on" diode. Some even swivel. Motion detector outside lights might also help. I used both when we had meth head dealers across the street. That and some other tactics got them to move.....they are now in jails. They also lost the house. Neighborhood is great again. Thank God.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts