Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sort of. I really do like my Ruger SR1911 and the fact that it comes with factory fitted Novak sights is an excellent choice. However, I'd really like to swap out the rear sights for some adjustable ones. Problem 1. Finding a dealer that will ship to GB - I'm waiting to hear from Dawson Precision to see if they will send them to me. Problem 2. There are NO gunsmiths on our Island and those that call themselves such I wouldn't let loose on any gun of mine..!! So it would be down to me to remove and install the new sights (if I can get them - see Problem 1.). Do I really need a sight removal tool? I see them on Brownells UK so I know I can get one, but the prices are a bit steep for a one off purchase.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

·
Administrator
39,383 Posts
You might be able to drift the sight out from the dovetail with a sturdy wooden dowel and well padded vice. As for shipping I have no idea. In my experience, I have used the dowel for adjustments and removal of sights. I wouldn’t attempt this method with a Glock since their sights are beveled.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
If you go with Smoke's suggestion, many sights are made to go on (and come off) from only 1 side. You might want to find out if the Ruuuuuger 1911 copy is one of them. Might save on beating, banging and leaning (along with coarse language since the Mrs is a minister and all) by finding out ahead of time.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Well, sort of. I really do like my Ruger SR1911 and the fact that it comes with factory fitted Novak sights is an excellent choice. However, I'd really like to swap out the rear sights for some adjustable ones. Problem 1. Finding a dealer that will ship to GB - I'm waiting to hear from Dawson Precision to see if they will send them to me. Problem 2. There are NO gunsmiths on our Island and those that call themselves such I wouldn't let loose on any gun of mine..!! So it would be down to me to remove and install the new sights (if I can get them - see Problem 1.). Do I really need a sight removal tool? I see them on Brownells UK so I know I can get one, but the prices are a bit steep for a one off purchase.

aaahh yes the age old wisdom of buying the target model, or the upgrade model instead of the GI model!

Attachments

Reactions: elPescador

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts

Also use some type of marker or tape to mark the center of your existing sight on the slide before removing. This way you can easily line up the replacement and be dialed right in.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
One of my SR1911's has the same sights as yours, but I have never removed it. It works very well, so no reason for me to do so.
From just looking at it, I can't tell if it is tapered, and I don't have a manual handy to see if it says anything about removal, you could e-mail Ruger.
Personally , I would use a sight tool, not a dowel, but I just always do......not sure how easy/hard it would be to bend something if it wasn't
secured properly in a vise. When I work on customers guns I don't want to bang on anything I don't have to.....or mine for that matter.
If yours is not shooting POA for you, maybe try a different hold. Open your shooting palm, and place the beavertail into the web of your hand
between thumb and forefinger, wrap your hand around the frame, and see where your trigger finger rests on the trigger. Adjust from there.
Ruger has some nice sights for the SR1911 on their website.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my SR1911's has the same sights as yours, but I have never removed it. It works very well, so no reason for me to do so.
From just looking at it, I can't tell if it is tapered, and I don't have a manual handy to see if it says anything about removal, you could e-mail Ruger.
Personally , I would use a sight tool, not a dowel, but I just always do......not sure how easy/hard it would be to bend something if it wasn't
secured properly in a vise. When I work on customers guns I don't want to bang on anything I don't have to.....or mine for that matter.
If yours is not shooting POA for you, maybe try a different hold. Open your shooting palm, and place the beavertail into the web of your hand
between thumb and forefinger, wrap your hand around the frame, and see where your trigger finger rests on the trigger. Adjust from there.
Ruger has some nice sights for the SR1911 on their website.
You're right regarding the sights on Ruger's website, however, there is absolutely no point in me emailing Ruger as they will not reply. I tried this just after I got the SR1911, I included the model number, serial number and invoice number from the dealer in GB. Nothing.. not even an acknowledgement they had received it.. same thing when I tried two more times.

I don't know if you guys see it, but when I visit the Shopruger website there's a little 'note after a check-box, and it says.."I am a US Citizen or Resident Alien". I'm neither and I think Ruger know it.

Boy, don't I feel persecuted.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I have a problem.. or two..!!
Yeah, most of us do. Some of us (waving my hand) have problems that can't be resolved without serious psychiatric intervention.
I'll not name names, but you've been here long enough to figure out who else.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
I'm assuming you are referring to Novack sights like those that came stock on my Ruger Commander 1911 as seen in the photos below. From the overhead you see the hex screw which loosens the rear sight for drift out. Mine line up fine but I put Crimson Trace lasergrips on mine instead of replacing the stock sights. And, I have the laser sighted in to point of impact at 10 yards.
476EAB79-0DB2-4B3D-B1E8-E20256CAFC1A.jpeg
3295A969-99DD-4FC1-BA49-EA88BD6030D4.jpeg
720F026F-09B6-4B5B-A0CE-D6E6E195B853.jpeg

Couple of quick observations. Have you tried calling Ruger instead of using their website? I called once to obtain a birthdate on an old Ruger revolver I bought used and also to inquire about replacing the front ramp sight on it. I got answers on both issues in under a minute. Also, where did you purchase your gun? Does the vendor/seller not offer aftermarket services? Wherever I buy a gun, they have onsite gunsmithing services to make changes or have access to smiths who can do the job in a relative quick turnaround. I replaced the stock sights on all my GLOCKs one day and just went into the GLOCK service center (attached to the mfg facility) in Smyrna. They were willing to install any brand I requested and I just got the standard GLOCK night sights installed. They also did a quick full strip down and cleaning/restoration if you wanted at no additional cost. I know that may sound like cheating but it's under an hours drive each way.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm assuming you are referring to Novack sights like those that came stock on my Ruger Commander 1911 as seen in the photos below. From the overhead you see the hex screw which loosens the rear sight for drift out. Mine line up fine but I put Crimson Trace lasergrips on mine instead of replacing the stock sights. And, I have the laser sighted in to point of impact at 10 yards.
View attachment 467963
View attachment 467965
View attachment 467967

Couple of quick observations. Have you tried calling Ruger instead of using their website? I called once to obtain a birthdate on an old Ruger revolver I bought used and also to inquire about replacing the front ramp sight on it. I got answers on both issues in under a minute. Also, where did you purchase your gun? Does the vendor/seller not offer aftermarket services? Wherever I buy a gun, they have onsite gunsmithing services to make changes or have access to smiths who can do the job in a relative quick turnaround. I replaced the stock sights on all my GLOCKs one day and just went into the GLOCK service center (attached to the mfg facility) in Smyrna. They were willing to install any brand I requested and I just got the standard GLOCK night sights installed. They also did a quick full strip down and cleaning/restoration if you wanted at no additional cost. I know that may sound like cheating but it's under an hours drive each way.
EDIT: just looked on Amazon UK and Crimson Trace laser for 1911 comes in at $463.00..!!
A phone call to the US from GB would cost.. not that I'm tight with my money. And of course I'd need to allow for the 6 hour time difference. Now I think you have an understanding of firearms laws in GB, that being so, you'll now that handguns, other than long barrelled varieties and black powder, are banned. Except where I live. That said, I have called, emailed, even wrote a letter to the dealer I bought my SR1911 from. Their stock answer is 'we can't discuss Section 5 ('banned') firearms. Are you police or military?...". End of. No help, no suggestions as to how to get help. Crap all round.

As for gunsmiths.. Honest Joe is more likely to become POTUS than find a gunsmith on our Island..!! Honestly. I have seen some very nice pistols at my club which have been 'worked on' by their owners with scary results. Not dangerous, just marred, you could say cosmetically challenged..!! Saw one guy using a nail file to adjust the elevation on his GP100..!! It's highly unlikely but if I were to sell my SR1911 I'd want it looking as close to the condition it was out of the box when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
That's not a bad price for Crimson Trace. The ones you see above are of their "Masters" series with rosewood grips instead of a G10 material. They cost me $390/pair online. I put them on both my Ruger and a compact Sig 1911. I have a pair of original black CT lasergrips on one of my not currently in use" 1911s in my safe. They haven't been used in the 6-7 years since I put them on but the batteries still work (I test them, ALL my safe guns, at least once a year.)

So, what sort of adjustable rear sights are you looking for? Drift and elevation adjustable? Like commonly seen on target guns?

Oh, and use of a file to lower a front sight is not only common on our side of the pond but a recommended activity if you know what you are doing. Wouldn't be much use on a full 3 dot sighting system because you are dealing with a dot up front - not a post.

And you say the sellers of the guns say they are restricted AFTER they made the money selling to you? If your island's gun laws differ from the rest of GB why are aftermarket accessories so controlled? Sounds like you are being bamboozled by your system and I mean that in a good way.

Oh, and while I've never tried, I ASSUME that loosening the hex nut on top of the rear sight should free it up to drift or even full removal.

Reactions: ManxTom

·
Super Moderator
35,558 Posts
I changed the sights on my PT 145 and Witness Compact with the dowel method, the PT 145 rear sight disappeared into garage heaven. I had clampred the slide in a vise padded with thick leather.

I just put TruGlo TFX sights on my CZ 75 Compact and didn't want to beat on those for fear of breaking the tritium tube or fiber optic rod so I borrowed my brother in law's sight pusher. Like you I didn't want to spend 100.00 + on a sight pusher before. The one I borrowed is half that price and worked well. There are some sketchy reviews however, the one I used had no issues. Makes me wonder if the people who broke them were guilty of operator error.

https://www.amazon.com/NcSTAR-VTUPRS-Universal-Pistol-Sight/dp/B01HU4NNDE

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You're right regarding the sights on Ruger's website, however, there is absolutely no point in me emailing Ruger as they will not reply. I tried this just after I got the SR1911, I included the model number, serial number and invoice number from the dealer in GB. Nothing.. not even an acknowledgement they had received it.. same thing when I tried two more times.

I don't know if you guys see it, but when I visit the Shopruger website there's a little 'note after a check-box, and it says.."I am a US Citizen or Resident Alien". I'm neither and I think Ruger know it.

Can I help somehow ? It may not be cost effective, shipping is high as are your 'fees', but I have shipped parts to GB before. Gimme a shout in PM if you wish.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can I help somehow ? It may not be cost effective, shipping is high as are your 'fees', but I have shipped parts to GB before. Gimme a shout in PM if you wish.
That's mighty neighbourly of you. I will be in touch.. soon.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/sr1911-rear-sight.96632/

·
Registered
36,032 Posts

just asking now!
have you tried telling Ruger that you are ET?
surely there are quality adjustable sights available in your Country that would fit the Ruger SR1911 I would think.
there are some very well made sights from Europe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts