Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you already know, I have a gun collecting problem.....

....but what is lesser known is that I also have an affinity for cars......and recently, that has been for the Pontiac Solstice GXP.

I already had one....an automatic car.....that I only drove on pretty days......and a 2008 Smart that was my daily driver.....

....till I hit a deer at 60MPH and creamed the front of the Smart. (now under reconstruction)!

So....I needed another daily car.

What did I buy????

Yep.....I have issues.....

61056057488__2A8B6ACB-D17C-4398-AC25-4569B3B0F1BA.JPG

61057744961__A9C90899-8F99-482B-BB27-4A9E5106907B.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

Bonus: Picture of what a Smart Car looks like after a direct collision with a 120lb. deer at 60 MPH:

IMG_4949.JPG

Anyone that makes fun of those little cars has no idea how safe they are. I survived (the deer did not) and the damn air bag didn't even deploy!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I always liked the looks of them but don't know anything about them beyond that.
I know I don’t fit in them. Those things were not designed for someone 6’5”.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the new car! I always liked the looks of them but don't know anything about them beyond that.
These two are 2.0L turbo Ecotech engines. ~190 HP and a top speed right around 155.....

Solstice engine.jpg

.....just fast enough to be fun!

I know I don’t fit in them. Those things were not designed for someone 6’5”.
I know what you mean. I'm 6' and I barely fit.....

.....and at 51, you certainly won't see me jumping out of them!

Reactions: darbo and jonrjen

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
You might consider the non-deployment of the airbag was caused by a malfunction. You might have it checked, if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might consider the non-deployment of the airbag was caused by a malfunction. You might have it checked, if that's possible.
My guess is the impact occurred too high on the front of the car to activate the collision sensors.......but you're right....and I certainly will!

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Congrats on your new to you Pontiac!

Are they identical, or any differences?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Having worked at a Pontiac Buick GMC dealership as a tech. I promised myself that I would not ever drive one or the Chevy. But the Solstice is a nice looking car and one of GMC's prettiest.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on your new to you Pontiac!

Are they identical, or any differences?
The First one is a 2007.....automatic......

....the new one is a 2008....5-speed.

Other than that, they're identical in every way!

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I guess I'm old, the twin Pontiacs are nice, and you told us about the Smart, but what about that lonely little blue VW squareback sitting in the corner?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I'm old, the twin Pontiacs are nice, and you told us about the Smart, but what about that lonely little blue VW squareback sitting in the corner?
That's my '74 Type III. It ran great till the fuel pump quit. I've considered selling it....but never have gotten serious enough. At this point, it needs a lot of love!

IMG_3945.jpg

·
21,915 Posts
That Mini is really cool too.

I'm starting to think we might not be the worst vehicle hoarders on this forum. My wife and I have a bit of a problem.

·
Administrator
17,582 Posts
Sorry to read of your accident and glad you were not hurt! :eek:

Also, sorry to read of your Smart Car's damage and hoe that you can find the parts needed to repair it.

Congratulations on your acquisition of another Pontiac Solstice and may it serve you well! :cool:
A Car Enthusiast Buddy of mine had one and I rather liked it. He went back to a Corvette after selling it, as he has had several Corvettes over the years.

As for myself, I have had a variety of Cars that I liked. Several Pontiac Firebirds, one AMC Javelin, one 1971 Ford Torino, one 1974 Olds Cutlass 455, several Ford Mustangs and I currently have one.
At one time I did have four Ford Mustangs of various years and configurations, but I've gotten out of the Car Collector Business.

My current 1999 Ford Mustang is my pleasure cruiser/road beast. My daily driver, a 2003 Saturn Vue. Love them both!!! :smile:

IF your Smart Car proves un-repairable, you might consider a used-but-nice Saturn, if you can find one.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
That Mini is really cool too.

I'm starting to think we might not be the worst vehicle hoarders on this forum. My wife and I have a bit of a problem.
Whenever I have an appointment to meet up with GhostHorse, I more'n half expect him to be late, what with he has to decide whether to drive the Mini, the Porsche, the Ferrari, the Lamborghini, the Bugatti, the Bentley, the Rolls, the Triumph, or the Indian.

What problem izzat, GH? :devil:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I thought you said you had a problem? :D

PS: five speed .................. way to go!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts