Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... but I'm going to ask...

WTF is a 'double-tap' ??

I've seen it mentioned here, I've overheard it at the range...

I just haven't been able to deduce what's being talked about... ( & I can usually figure this stuff out, after reading things & understanding the context & results, etc.. but not yet..)

I was going to ask in another thread I was reading, but figured I'd ask in a new topic, so after it's (quickly, I'm sure) answered, the moderators can just kill the thread & pretend it never existed!! (please?)

:)
Thanks..
Tim

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it??

Hmm.. at the range they've said 'no double taps', I think.
(they also say 'no rapid fire, 2-3 seconds between shots)

Isn't that kinda' the same thing?

Hell, I could do 'rapid fire' without a 'double tap', right? My 2 quick shots could end up anywhere!!

HaaHaa..

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Tim K said:
That's it??

Hell, I could do 'rapid fire' without a 'double tap', right? My 2 quick shots could end up anywhere!!

HaaHaa..
You an me both! I think it is scary to hear someone in an inside range fire off a mag in rapid fire. Now I have done double taps, and 12 rd rapid fire on my home range, just to see if I could keep them all on paper.

Guess what, I didn't!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand the liability aspect of the no rapid fire/double tap rules, but I really can't stand the rule. I finally experienced my first short recoil/squib load last week, and I had no problem catching it. Most of my practice is two to the body delay then 1 to the head. Those two shots are almost always double tap.

·
32,658 Posts
For a well trained shooter double taps and some fast shooting are not a problem. Things change when a large segment of the population who are not trained to a high standard and think they can do it. No offense to those who can accurately fast shoot.

I have been at the range numerous times when my namesakes who are not skilled come in and try this.

Bullets ricocheting and buzzing about an enclosed range are going to hit somebody sometime and do on occasion.

Normally nobody is hit. The worst hits have been only pieces of bullet that stung and or caused welts hitting other patrons. Just been lucky so far.

Miscreant who did this is unceremoniously ejected and told not to come back.

Then there are the horror stories that range and store owners can tell about goings on like this.

So there is a precedent for this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first range I went to after I bought my PT111 was an indoor range that didn't say anything about 'no rapid fire', etc, & I heard several rapid sequences.
Like I said, it was my first time & my hands were shaking a bit ( I've never been a gun shooter!), but I fired 2 or 3 quick shots in a row near the end of that session.
I kept the target at the middle distance (7 yrds?) & was pretty impressed with how well I did. (so was the range owner - I showed him as I left!)

I can tell I've gotten -tons- better, & -much- more comfortable, since early Feb.

Practice, practice, practice!
Read, read, read!
Learn, learn, learn!

I'll be asking more questions!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even though I can do a double tap I only practice once in a while. It is a great self defense technique but hard to pull off. Especially with a .45. I can do them a lot easier with my 9mm but with that they are needed more.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, to repeat myself...

a double tap?

Basically just two shots 'together'? Quickly & with accuracy??

Is that all it really is?

I thought it might some special, difficult maneuver!? ( OK, so maybe it is, but.. y'know what I mean..)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Tim K said:
So, to repeat myself...

a double tap?

Basically just two shots 'together'? Quickly & with accuracy??

Is that all it really is?

I thought it might some special, difficult maneuver!? ( OK, so maybe it is, but.. y'know what I mean..)
it's already been answered.. all a double tap is, is two rounds fired quicly.. think of it with rapid fire but without emptying a whole magazine.

bang,bang. stop

dunno whats so hard to understand about this.

many LEO use to be trained this way (im not leo my self so im not sure if this is still a current practice)

double tap *threat spoted*, *bang,bang*, *look to see if still a threat*

generally speaking this would be aimed at C.o.M (center of mass), AKA your chest/torso.

you can fire 2 rounds off at the CoM of someone with reasonable accuracy.
it's only if you continue to fire that you can drift off target..

think of double taps as 2round burst out of select fire weapons except out of a semi-auto where YOU have to do the mechanics of getting the 2 round burst rather then the gun doing it from a single pull..

hope that explains it cause im out of ways to word it.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
now the triple tap? oh ya 2 to the center and one to the head sorry had to throw that in. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
At least he didn't think it was a tap dance step.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, OK, I've been properly chastised! I'm sorry...

Remember up in my original post where I said the moderators could kill the thread & pretend it never existed!?

Now's the time, guys!!!

Thanks..

Tim

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Tim K said:
OK, OK, I've been properly chastised! I'm sorry...

Remember up in my original post where I said the moderators could kill the thread & pretend it never existed!?

Now's the time, guys!!!

Thanks..

Tim
Well shoot, we get you in or over the barrel and you want out! I know I have asked questions that some prob thought were dumb, but I have an excuse! I am old and had not bought or shot a handgun in over 40 years.

We are just funning you anyway!!

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
This forum is vary friendly please take a little joking around. We have all asked the duh! question before. And get the proper responce, you got to start somwhere and we would rather have a novice ask a question and learn then be confused. Read learn and enjoy :) :) :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
45 Forever said:
This forum is vary friendly please take a little joking around. We have all asked the duh! question before. And get the proper responce, you got to start somwhere and we would rather have a novice ask a question and learn then be confused. Read learn and enjoy :) :) :)
Oh, please, trust me folks.. I'm smilin' ear-to-ear reading & writing this stuff!
I'm one of the biggest smart-assed, wise guys there is!

My comment about killin' the thread was pure fun: "OK, kill the thread while I go crawl under the "duh" rock", y'know!?

It's all good.. I'm havin' fun here, too

1 - 20 of 46 Posts