Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going through my keychain to see what I've got and remove extra keys 'cause it's getting heavy in my pocket.
House keys, check. other house keys, check. outbuilding key, check. under porch door key, check. trailer padlock key, check. truck key, check. gun closet key, check.
2 left over that I have NO idea what they go to.
One looks to be a padlock key, but I've accounted for all those, so ?????
The other one says DELTA on it, but no idea what it goes to.
That is going to keep me up at night wondering what they're for.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Join the club my friend. This happens to me every few years. I decide to whittle down the junk in my pockets and fine my keyring has one or two that dont go anywhere. Mabey they'r with all those odd socks I'm missing??

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Oh don't even bring this up...I've got two "wads" of keys in my pocket that I need to go through!! I know I'll find a bunch that I don't know what they go to..Just been ignoring these things.......until now!!!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAH!
Figured out the DELTA key.
Spare JD riding mower key!
Still leaves one unknown.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well I used to have about 30 keys on my key ring and one day I decided to clean them up and sort them and yanno what I had about 19 keys I didn't even know what they were for and I tried everything I could to figure out where they came from. Never did find out, but now I have a "key" drawer with about 200 keys in it and now I only carry my car key and my house key so no confusion occurs....

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
Whatever you do dont toss it! If you do you will lock yourself out of something!

Reactions: smithlock

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's funny you brought this up, about a year or so I tossed all the unknown keys off my key chain, no loss i didn't need them, didn't used them in years...well as it turns out I put a padlock on my spare tire under my truck...took a while to cut that lock off!!!!

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's funny you brought this up, about a year or so I tossed all the unknown keys off my key chain, no loss i didn't need them, didn't used them in years...well as it turns out I put a padlock on my spare tire under my truck...took a while to cut that lock off!!!!
That's why I bought a "Master Key".

·
Registered
612 Posts
I for one hate to have things in my pockets.. so my key chain is kept bare min.. House, car, guns, and shop doors front / back / office.
Oh a little key chain with my anniversary on it and of course a beeping key finder. still small and streamlined.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I've got a whole keyring full of keys I don't know where they go!

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Don't know what's worse, keys of unknown origin, or putting important things up for "safe keeping" then forgetting where that is.

·
Registered
601 Posts
People its digital age according to my son!. you do not need keys you need password, digital passkey/cards. Of course I manage to forget passwords and damage passcard so I am back to square one. do not throw away keys, you might lock your self out of something that might be important.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have an old coffee cup that is slowly filling with mystery keys that I find. Worse is when I find old combo locks...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I try to keep my keys to a minimum. I carry them on a keyring attatched to a caribiner which I clip onto my jeans. Aside from the necessary keys I also have my remote for the car, a 1967 gold HS ring (never know when you may need some cash). An SS lighting bolt and a 50 year old sterling silver and turquoise ring. My ex wife has a keychain that weighs at least 3 pounds. She has no idea what the keys fit yet she refuses to lighten the load. Maybe after she has to replace the $200 ignition switch she will get rid of some. I doubt it.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
My key ring is getting out of hand. 4 keys I have no ieda what they are for.

·
Super Moderator
26,870 Posts
My key ring is getting out of hand. 4 keys I have no ieda what they are for.
Tried your front door? That might solve 25% of your problem!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I recall a fellow I used to work with who had quite a firearms collection and frequented the gun shows, well it seems he bought a new Ford Pick-up and going through the keys they gave him he identified the door, ignition, glovebox key, but had one left which he couldn't find a home for so he tossed it in his dresser drawer.

Long story short one Sunday while at a gun show out of town he had a flat tire and guess what, there was locking lugnuts on the pick-up and the key for them was home in the drawer and it cost him dearly to have a station come out and change the tire destroying the locking lugnut in the process, which didn't set to well with him as he was fairly tight with a dollar to the point of taking his own lunch to the shows rather than paying the prices at the concession stands.

I always toss spare keys in a cigar box, but I put a key tag on them to identify what it fits. I picked up a couple of packages of 8 each at the local hardware store for $1.49 and they have an insert you can write on, it is fairly cheap and works for me.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
I keep only the house key and car key on my key ring. Inside my Yukon, I have a key ring with my office and mail box key.

At my home, I have a key board with cup hooks and keys on it, all labeled. At my back door, there is a key to the pool house/shop and the back gate lock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts