Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went and took my CCW class today with my G2. After I got the classroom part done, All 10 hours, I headed to the range to do the qualification part to get the certificate.

Well that's where I ran into 2 Failure to Extract issues.

Did one shot, then reload for three times total. Then 5 consecutive shots w/o reloading. The first of the 5 consecutive shots fired then was partially ejected and caught by the slide and caused it to jam while trying to put the next cartridge in.

I had 2 out of 21 shots do this. The gun had 37 prior shots on it.

I was using Federal 115GR ammunition for the CCW class and the prior shooting. I cleaned it after the first 37 shots and just finished cleaning it from the CCW class.

Should I keep firing the weapon and "break it in" ? Or should I contact Taurus about this issue? This is going to be my CCW pistol and I'd hate to have this malfunction in a stressful situation and end up costing me my life or the life of my daughter need I have to protect her.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I am asuming that this is a brand new gun? Now I am no gunsmith, but I won't carry or even think to qualify with a weapon that hasn't seen close to 500 rds down range. I mix a lot of different Ammo and always make sure that my target ammo and my carry ammo will all process thru the gun. My suggestion is a few hundred rounds with regular cleanings. you will find that after some rounds when you clean the gun the rough edges seem to go away. Enjoy the breaking in period it can be the best shooting... Just burning some rounds to get the feel ofe the gun. FWIT

Reactions: PATRONE

·
Registered
27,530 Posts
I suspect your gun has the greasies. Some Taurii come with a lot of grease packed in. A "normal" cleaning isn't enough.
A good soaking with Gun Scrubber will clean out the striker, extractor, and ejector.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Seems that new 9mm work best with 124gr ammo as the manual recommends.
Same thing happened with mine the first time I shot it.
50 rounds RWS 124gr, then switched to Federal 115gr and the FTEs started right away. Stovepipe.
Recoil spring too tight. After several hundred rounds of 124 the 115 shoot fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a G2 in 40 and one in 9MM. The 40 cal has had the fail to eject about 10 to 12 times in about 700 rounds. It happened again just yesterday. I have pulled the extractor and cleaned it very well and it still happens. The 9mm hasn't had the issue though. The 9mm just has about 3 to 4 fail to fires with each magazine.
Personally I carry a Glock 27 for protection and use the Taurus pistols for practice and fun. The trigger on the 40 is still terrible after 700+ rounds, but the 9mm has a great trigger.
The new issue I have with the 40, now all of a sudden, I can't take the pistol apart. The slide will not come off.
Starting to get a bit disappointed with both of these guns.
I have a number of Taurus pistols and have had a few more. Only one of the others had an issue, but both of the G2's have issues.
First of all, I would clean the pistol very well and under the little hook on the top of the slide, I call it the extractor, others may call it something else. I have found material building up under it. When it is very clean, it works fine.
I have a couple of Taurus pistols that I would carry for SD, but from my experience, I wouldn't trust my life to either of my G2 pistols.

Good luck, I hope you get the issues resolved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did an initial cleaning when I first got it, but did not disassemble the lower half, only the upper and cleaned out as much of the grease junk that was in there and oiled as necessary.

As for the ammunition, I must have overlooked the Grain recommendation in the manual when I read it initally. That's a fault on my part. Ill pick up some heavier stuff and give it a shot. If the issue keeps reoccuring after 250-500 shots then i'll be in contact w/ Taurus about it.

I did buy the gun brand new, and prior to today, I haven't had one issue with it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I would not send the gun in after this few of rounds unless there was something obvious identified. I would make sure that you clean it really good using a good amount of cleaner and an old toothbrush to get into every nook and cranny that you can. Also I do not think that you have had enough rounds through it to consider it broken in. I would fire a minimum of 400-500 rounds through it before using it as a CCW piece. My G2 in 40 started feeling really broken in after about 500 rounds. The trigger pull is still long but smoothed out nicely. I have only had 1 FTF since I owned it and that was due to me not having the magazine fully seated. I would just take it to the range some more for practice before sending it in.

I have not used any Federal in mine yet, so try a few other brands of ammo. Sometimes handguns are finicky towards some brands of ammo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill give that a shot as well, I'll grab some heavier winchester and a few other brands and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Not trying to give you a hard time, BUT...

Would you make an investment (stocks,bonds, 401k,etc) and just ignore it until you want to retire, and hope it all works out?? That is what you just did with your and your family's safety. Fortunately, you learned on a paper target, and not in a real world scenario like this one: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/l...-justifiable-defensive-shooting-wa-state.html

There is more to it than just buying a gun. Training, Practice and Maintenance, and did I mention Training and Practice?? :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well at this rate/economy.. I won't be able to retire until I'm at least in my late 70's. I've been thinking about setting up my 401k through my work, but haven't committed to it yet.

That's what i've been doing, is training and practicing as much as possible. I just have to find time to get to the range, luckily that I've got access to a couple private ranges and they're relatively close by. I've got time to get to the range while the paperwork gets taken care of by the local sheriffs department. Sometime next week I'm going to get the application and get it filled out and let them do their thing. Then I have up to a 45day waiting period to get the answer from the Sheriffs department about the application.

I'm going to keep my options open and try not to give up on this weapon until it gives me a reasonable doubt to do so.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
So far is investments go, you have a good start with the AR and G2. :D I have the G2C-45, and have had some real issues, and waiting for a replacement from Taurus. That said, I still think it is a fine weapon, but may be going through some new model 'bugs'. Even Colt and Ruger and all the others have problems and recalls. I think you are just having some break in and cleaning issues, and will be fine with some more trigger time. I highly recommend getting a snap cap as well, that will give you trigger break in with out the ammo cost.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not really worried about the cost off ammunition, because each week I take a little out of my check and put it towards my so called "gun/toy fund" and each month go to the gun show and spend it on ammunition for both my AR and G2.
Plus me and a close friend borrow and supply each other ammunition when we go to the range so that's covered for now at least. Unless the price of 9mm goes skyhigh then I'll CCW a BB pistol :guns: (just kidding)

I forgot I do have some heavier grain 9mm I picked up a month ago, and going to see if it cycles any different vs the lighter grain Federal. I'll probably stop and pick up some remington and winchester and see if it acts up again.

I'm not ready to give up on it yet, even my close friend who owns several high dollar HK handguns and ACR's said " I love how your handgun feels and shoots, but its still not an HK." but he did say that with a joking laugh at least.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect your gun has the greasies. Some Taurii come with a lot of grease packed in. A "normal" cleaning isn't enough.
A good soaking with Gun Scrubber will clean out the striker, extractor, and ejector.
So how would you recommend doing that?

Like literally soaking the entire lower assembly or disassembling it and soaking it? Just to clarify

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
So how would you recommend doing that?

Like literally soaking the entire lower assembly or disassembling it and soaking it? Just to clarify
If you're not up to disassembly, use the little straw to spray the Gun Scrubber into the firing pin/striker channel, trigger group, etc. all the nooks and crannies. I usually spray, marinade, scrub, spray until clean.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
I went and took my CCW class today with my G2...that's where I ran into 2 Failure to Extract issues...Should I keep firing the weapon and "break it in" ? Or should I contact Taurus about this issue? Andrew
Read any gun forums and you'll see "Break In" ammo counts run from "200" to "500" rounds.

Why such a disparity?

Because some guns take longer to break in than others.

And some folks, like your's truly, what to be positive about a guns reliability.

If I've selected a gun to defend my hid and my family I want it to go through 500 rounds without a burp.

All of my Taurus Millennium Pro's have greatly exceeded this mark and continue to do yeoman's service.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
AO5c, hang in , man, the gun is a disappointment, I know. It will get better with use and more cleaning. The parts just have to get used to working together. The 124 gr ammo is the better choice right now. Patience and practice, yup.

Boy, I feel for your frustration at the CCW class. I brought two unfamiliar 1911s to shoot and the older one was terribly cranky and had to be abandoned part-way through the shooting. 'Course I'm already uptight with anxiety and concern over the course material and shot poorly even with the other gun. I begged off, went and practiced some more and came back next week to do the shooting again and finish all the paperwork. The instructor was most helpful and patient with me, bless him.

Being ancient and less than stout, I chose 9mm as my caliber and while my first gun was at the factory I bought a pt-111 and worked and worked with that. Yup, it had to go back too but has been flawless ever since and is my carry.

Good luck, go shoot and tell us about it. We want you to succeed. There are old hands here with far more experience than I who will help and encourage you..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luckily I had enough of a decent group at the required distance that I passed the shooting portion even with the issues with the firearm. I'm going to pick up more cleaning supplies today and really try to clean out as good as I can.

I really don't want to disassemble the lower portion strictly because.. I know I'm not a gunsmith and I'll forget where something goes or something like that. I'll pull the slide back off today after I get back and really give it a good thorough going through.
The only real thing that I found was weird was the first time I put the 37some shots through it it performed without a hiccup. I picked up 2 more boxes of the same ammunition from the same store (probably different lots) and had the issue. I'm not going to point fingers at Taurus or Federal for the issue yet. after I get a significantly higher shot count and it continues to happen then i'll raise concern.

The only reason I came on and asked about this issue, its just numerical times it happened out of 20. That's the main concern I had if anyone else had a similar concern. I'm off to MC sports to get some more cleaning supplies and a case to store everything in.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Luckily I had enough of a decent group at the required distance that I passed the shooting portion even with the issues with the firearm. I'm going to pick up more cleaning supplies today and really try to clean out as good as I can.

I really don't want to disassemble the lower portion strictly because.. I know I'm not a gunsmith and I'll forget where something goes or something like that. I'll pull the slide back off today after I get back and really give it a good thorough going through.
The only real thing that I found was weird was the first time I put the 37some shots through it it performed without a hiccup. I picked up 2 more boxes of the same ammunition from the same store (probably different lots) and had the issue. I'm not going to point fingers at Taurus or Federal for the issue yet. after I get a significantly higher shot count and it continues to happen then i'll raise concern.

The only reason I came on and asked about this issue, its just numerical times it happened out of 20. That's the main concern I had if anyone else had a similar concern. I'm off to MC sports to get some more cleaning supplies and a case to store everything in.
What can happen is that while everything seemed fine 'out of the box', once you added heat and dirt to the packing grease, you basically 'cooked it', there by making it hard and harder to clean. The hardened gunk particles can keep the pin from hitting the primer hard enough to shoot, plug the extractor, etc, all kinds of problems can 'pop up' even after the first perfect rounds. Not a good scenario if you ever have to use it as intended. Sorry if I sounded harsh before, but if you want to CC and protect yourself and your family, it takes some work, and we all want you to be successful. Happy Shootin' & Be Safe. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't take anything in a bad way. I know what you guys are trying to do and recommend and using it to my fullest advantage.

I got a myriad of cleaning supplies that I'm going to try and clean the lower fire control parts w/o taking it apart.

I'll let you know what I get into tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A05C any update? just curious but is it a blued gun or stainless? I have wondered if they don't put as much cosmoline in the stainless guns as the 840 that I have didn't have hardly any packing grease when I got it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts