Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let the other guys lead me to think the PT1911 was having problems, but after searching the site I have found that while some of these problems have happened they have been extremly few and far between. now don't get me wrong, while I did belive them when they said it was problematic I attibuted this to the fact that it was a new model for them and they would get the bugs worked out. I still had confidence in the company as a whole. but now that I have found out that any reports of a problem with the pistol was multiplied by 20 by the crowds, I fully intend to make a PT1911 my next firearm purchase.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a berreta gunsmith (fan boy) try and tell me that my newly purchased PT92 was pretty much made out of jello. He told me it would be good for only a few hundred rounds and then the slide would fly back and hit me in the face. Of course this was not true and a lot of people on this forum helped me out in that respect. Most people have owned, are in the process of buying, or have shot many different brands and they can offer really good info on most guns and ammo. Enjoy your 1911 I plan on getting one in the future.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was drooling over one at a gun show last weekend, in hindsight it's kinda a good thing I was weary of getting it because I'd really like to get one with a light rail. I plan on getting a 5 inch blue finish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a 1911 fan,and own a SA 1911A1 Loaded which I picked up NIB for $680.00 OTD last year.I own a PT99 and love her,but when it comes to 1911's I rather spend the extra couple hundered and not take a chance.A problem with a 1911 can run you $75.00 to $300.00 to fix,so just get a good one from the start.
MOHAA

·
Registered
130 Posts
Taurus has a lifetime warranty so it won't cost squat but the shipping to have it fixed if it does break. I was looking at the blued PT 1911 but I think for carry ability I am gonna go with either the 24/7 or the 145 milpro. I haven't decided but the difference is only about 40 bucks here where I live.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had a PT1911B since last August and I own about 12 different 1911's Kimbers Colts an Ed Brown a couple of RIA's ETC and the Taurus is one of the nicest shooting 1911's out of the box there is. It has never had a misfeed or jam of any kind accuracy is excellent if I do my part my only complaint is the finish which I am gonna have corrected shortly when summer comes and I quit carriny a full size 1911 till fall when the weather cools, if and when they ever release the 1911C in stainless I will buy one Immed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been shooting since 1960 and I can tell you that Taurus makes a fine gun.
I remember when they used to say that Ruger was not very good quality, but
my PT-1911 has over 3000 rounds through it without a hitch and it just keeps getting
better. I know guys with the high dollar 1911's that have had problems.
I thought the finish was week at first but scratches and scuffs seem to clean off.
I don't wory about keeping my gun perfect, just keep the gun and magazine clean
and it will serve you well.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Glad to hear it Bighoss, I think you'll be quite pleased with your purchase. I have a PT1911 and it hasn't given me a moment's difficulty. From what I gather hearing from others who own PT1911s, we've all had good experiences. The only change I've made to mine was to swap out the factory grips for a set of Hogues.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been very pleased with my PT1911. It has been flawless over the 5 months I've had it. It makes me look like a better shooter than I am.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Love my PT1911.. One big plus about 1911's is there are so many aftermarket and factory parts to swap and add. Most of the installs just take basic tools and some common sense, unfortunately common sense isn't sold in a hardware store... ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed an #18.5 recoil spring to see if there was any difference from the stock spring and had 1 failure to extract and a stove pipe in 100 rounds. Some of that could be attributed to limp wrist. Other than that, I managed to put 8 out of 10 shots in a 2" square at 10 yards. This gun makes it appear as if I can shoot much better than my meager skills. You will enjoy your PT-1911. Go for it!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
MOHAA Player said:
I'm a 1911 fan,and own a SA 1911A1 Loaded which I picked up NIB for $680.00 OTD last year.I own a PT99 and love her,but when it comes to 1911's I rather spend the extra couple hundered and not take a chance.A problem with a 1911 can run you $75.00 to $300.00 to fix,so just get a good one from the start.
MOHAA
Everyone has a right to be proud of their purchase, whatever the brand or model. But when the comparison becomes the basis for disparagement, it has no place here. Is your SA a good gun, I would certainly hope so... is it worth the $200-$300 difference between the Taurus PT1911... I seriously doubt it.

I've come to the opinion that there are three key elements of a gun purchase...

1. Reliability/Durability
2. Performance/Accuracy
3. Personal Preference

There are a lot of guns that meet the first two criteria... SA is one, but so is the Taurus. I could tell you that I've put over 1,000 rounds through my PT1911... just to see if it would fail... and it never hiccuped. I could tell you that I've ordered some spare parts in the "most vulnerable" (an ejector and an extractor) and I had the most pleasant customer service representative you could ask for. She was knowledgeable, considerate, and went the extra mile to make sure the parts were in stock before he ordered them.

All of that plus the fact that I can it what I'm aiming for better with this gun than another other of my other four pistols... ranging from a .22, 9mm, .40 S&W, and another .45.

But actually most guns are bought based on the last criteria... because they either "felt good in the hand" or "looked nice" or "I've always wanted one of those."

The truth is... those are just as legitimate criteria as any of the others! Would I go out and pay the price of a new SigSaur... not on my income. Would I buy one if I could afford it... "In a heart beat"... not because it is better made, more accurate... but because I've always been curious about them and would like to own one... just once for the heck of it."

SO... Is your SA better than the Taurus. NO. Is it worth the extra $200? Obvious to you it is... and congratulations to you... you got what you wanted. Just don't be arrogant that you choice is the best on the market.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a SA GI champion that I am very happy with ($444.00); however, my dealer knows that the first SS PT1911 AR that comes to their door is mine!! 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
All I can offer is that I wanted a PT1911 for a year before they became available. I also own a Kimber Custom II. I have been more than happy with both. I enjoy them equally. I guess it comes down to knowing what you want and being comfortable with the choices you make. Best comparison for me would be looking around when you drive down the road. Everyone is not driving the same vehicle, and if you asked how they felt about their purchase you would receive answers that would look pretty much the same as you're reading here. Wants, needs and tastes differ. Be happy with your purchase or trade it for something else. I think Taurus has put out a great gun for the price. Same as my PT99, same as my 650 CIA. I have been happy with all my Taurus purchases. Can't wait for my next one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Must take a special type to own a PT1911. From what I read it is a race between the finish and pistol parts disintegrating. You also get to listen to guys at the range tell you either they had a Taurus way back when or knew someone who had one way back when that had problems; or tell you how much better and more expensive their _________ is.

I've had one for six months. The finish seems to be still there and I haven't seen any pieces of parts fall out of the pistol yet. All it seems to do is shoot any ammo I load, in any magazine I use, and, with the exception of one box if Independence 230 gr FMJ, put the bullet where I've pointed the pistol. Well, maybe that's a problem with my PT1911, some of the rounds don't go where I think I pointed the pistol.

Overall, I've been very pleased with this pistol. It also seems that others must like them, the price seems to be going up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't think we should be singing the praises of the PT1911. If we keep saying how good it is, everyone will want one, the prices will keep going up, and I won't be able to buy another one! ;D So... let's tell everyone that the gun will break apart in their hands after shooting the 5th round and that rounds 1 through 4 experienced FTE and FTF. We could add in that the finish started wearing off on our hands, and that the ejector shears off on round 3 and the gun has to go back to Taurus for six months before you get it back to find out the gun disintegrates on round 5! :D

Yep, I think that kind of story will keep those prices down so I can buy my second PT1911 this spring. :yipee:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've hit the 1000 round mark with mine, nothing broken yet. I put a shok-buff in mine before firing it, extended slide release and slimline grips. My only issue so far is the slide doesn't lock open on an empty mag on about 10% of empty mags. Good luck finding a better $499 .45.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
NOok said:
extended slide... My only issue so far is the slide doesn't lock open on an empty mag on about 10% of empty mags.
Does it do that with the original slide release, or just the extended?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts