Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post about the newest addition to my collection. To keep things simple I just tell folks who see the gun that it is a Glock 19. However, to a purist, the gun is really not an actual Glock in any sense. This is a gun that I recently finished assembling. I say I assembled it because I don't think I am skilled enough to build a gun.

I assembled the gun entirely from aftermarket parts. There are no Glock parts of any kind in the gun anywhere. The black custom frame and all of the pieces that are in it, including the adjustable trigger, I purchased from lone Wolf. The brushed slide, match barrel, and all the other parts that make up the upper were purchased from lone Wolf, the Glock Store, Truglo, and Vickers. The slide as well as all the internal parts are stainless steel and the extended mag well is aluminum.

After all was said and done the gun cost me about $75 more than a stock box Glock 19 would cost me today. I think the extra $75 was worth it to be able to say this is my gun.

If you think I am a heathen for building a frankenglock go ahead and let me know. I can handle it. 🙋‍♂️

Don

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Looks great. You should call it the; "BangBang19" with the slogan; "More bang for your buck!"

On second thought, man that, "More bling for your Glock!"

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
I like it Don. Now you need to get it engraved with your trademark!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looks great. You should call it the; "BangBang19" with the slogan; "More bang for your buck!"

Kind of interesting, Tuco...didn't you have a thread recently debating the issue of whether a firearm maintains its given name when so many modify them to pieces.

This is a different angle...build a gun which 'looks' like another !

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I appreciate all the comments! This is really the 2nd gun like this that I assembled. When I was done with the first one it, just like this one, had no clock parts. I started out with a model 22 which is a large frame. When I finished with the gun It was capable of shooting four different calibres (9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .22 LR.) and it did well with all 4 calibers and was not ammo sensitive at all.

I did basically the same thing with a Taurus. I started out with a stainless PT100, added a stainless PT92 complete slide/barrel, and a factory Taurus (made by Ceiner) .22 LR conversion kit and I can shoot 3 different calibers at will with it. I have another pistol that converts into 3 or 4 calibers but it is in one of the safes and I haven't shot it in so long I'm not sure what brand it is. I also have 3 different caliber barrels for my derringers and 5 different pistol caliber barrels for my TC.

Don

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like to keep my Glocks, all-Glock, so to speak. There are some tempting parts in the aftermarket, though, including not only frames, but slides too. I've built a number of ARs for myself and thought it might be interesting to build a "Glock" using no Glock parts at all. It's really tempting.

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
I've never been attracted to Glocks, but I could see owning a pistol like yours! You built it "one piece at a time"!

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For anyone who has ever thought of putting together a handgun for themselves a Glock is the way to go. First of all, a Glock only has 34 parts including the slide, barrel, and frame. It is the perfect choice if spending a chunk of money at one time is a problem. The most expensive part is the slide. You can spend $300+ on a slide or you can watch the sales and buy one for under $150. You can watch for blemished or seconds which is based on cosmetics and save a lot of money.

Watch sales at big online companies like CDNN and Sportsman Warehouse for barrels and other small parts. Often you can buy a barrel for less than $100. Buy the small parts a few at a time as you can afford them.

It has been my experience that Glock parts are all drop in parts, nothing has to be fitted. Makes it great if this is your first project in putting together a firearm.

The only tools you need or that I used were needle nose pliers and a couple small drift pins.

I haven't been to the range yet but when I do I will post a report.

Don

·
Administrator
18,038 Posts
Nice work and looking forward to reading your Range Report on it! :cool: :)

The closest I have come to building a Pistol was to refurbish an already existing handgun, which means taking them completely down to parts and pins, then refinishing or repairing them.
My current list is: Pre-B Cz75, my late fathers 1911, and two WWII Walther P38's

I do plan to fully strip and refinish the Slide on my S&W SW9VE, but this does not come close to what you have done from scratch.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like to keep my Glocks, all-Glock, so to speak. There are some tempting parts in the aftermarket, though, including not only frames, but slides too. I've built a number of ARs for myself and thought it might be interesting to build a "Glock" using no Glock parts at all. It's really tempting.
My reasoning in keeping my Glocks ALL Glock is GOD forbid I have to use deadly Physical force then be subjected to a Prosecutor that will use all these embellishments,improvements against me stippulating that Gun Mfgs are kept to a higher degree of MFG.backing their product .This in no way protects an over zealous shooteer with no knowledge of laws which everyone who carrys for defense must be more informed .With that said what a great build ! Use should get a MFGs permit and liscensure !

·
Registered
434 Posts
My reasoning in keeping my Glocks ALL Glock is GOD forbid I have to use deadly Physical force then be subjected to a Prosecutor that will use all these embellishments,improvements against me stippulating that Gun Mfgs are kept to a higher degree of MFG.backing their product .This in no way protects an over zealous shooteer with no knowledge of laws which everyone who carrys for defense must be more informed .With that said what a great build ! Use should get a MFGs permit and liscensure !
I the only modification I've done to any of my carry guns was the addition of night sights, if it didn't already have them. Most of my firearms are novelties that are not likely to be used for protection.

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
Friends don't let other friends built Frankenglocks!--thats all i am saying!
facepalm,.jpg

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where did you get the receiver? I assume it was an 80% receiver you had to complete.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts