Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a thread here to ask about put some WD 40 in my model 65 revolver (sku: 2650041) as lubricant, and I got suggestions from members here to use something else instead (for example, dry lubricants).

So I searched on eBay, and purchased some Hoppe's Dri-Lube http://www.ebay.com/itm/290786176091 .

Today, I wanted to open the side plate, and it's no problem for the yoke screw and the screw below the hammer......

Then, there is the one just behind the trigger guard, and It is super tight. When I applied extra force on it......I scr--ed-up that one screw. :(

I afraid that it will be totally stripped if I continue to try to unscrew it, so I stopped and put everything back in place.

I know it's plenty of similar posts here. I searched for a while, and I found that MidwayUSA is selling side plate screws for K frame revolvers from Smith and Wesson. Are they fit for Taurus revolver?

Also, any way to remove the stripped screw (I don't have a Dremel, and I don't think it is useful in this case)?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Discussing the ins and outs of WD-4 for gun care can be as tiddious as discussing religion or politics; some folks swear by it, some swear at it.

I've used it for nearly 50 years for cleaning and loosening stuck gun parts, but in truth it was not designed to be a lubricant as it will dry out. The WD stands for Water Displacement; as that is what it was originally designed for in NASA's space program.

There are many good gun lubricants on the market. My favorite for the last 20+ years has been BREAKFREE CLP which is a Cleaner, Lubricant & Protectorant.

First off before you work on any guns you need a decent set of hollow ground screw drivers designed for this purpose; and then, use only the proper sized one for the job.

As to your stripped side plate screw, I'd strongly suggest you take the gun to a local gunsmith who has the proper tools to remove it without further damage to the gun. He'll probably charge a very nominal fee for this service.

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
OK. Thanks for you reply, Moondawg.
One thing I have learned over the years is to use a good set of Gunsmith screwdriver tips. You need a proper fitting tool to get some of those screws out without doing damage.

·
22,542 Posts
WD-40 isn't penetrating oil. If you're reluctant to go to a smith, one more low-risk attempt would be to put a drop of penetrating oil on it, wait an hour, then carefully take the exact right size screwdriver and slowly torque that mother out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all of you. I am going to seek a gunsmith and leave it to him/her.

Also, I will buy a set of screw drivers for this.

Now, just pure curious, will S&W's sideplate screws fit Taurus's revolver?

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Great advise from Moondawg. Please give us an update after your trip to the gunsmith.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
I don't have a 65 but is it possible that that screw has Loctite on it ? If so, it will require heat to loosen it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts