Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I got an SKS the other day...

Here's the SKS. It looked good on the outside, just a little surface rust. A couple dry patches revealed a bore that shined better than most I've seen, on any gun.

This is a Chinese made, pre-Norinco, pre-1989 carbine. The importer, GLNIC, stopped business after the bayonets and such were banned. I do like the fact that it's not a C&R as it's meant to be a part time defensive carbine as well as a replacement for my old coyote gun, which is an Mosin M44.

I loaded it up with the ammo I found, something called Hotshot that comes in commercial boxes packaged in "SPAM" cans of 700. It weighs 123 grains and is made in Romania. The package advertises that it's non-corrosive.

I immediately tested it. Though it's FMJ, it blew up a water filled gallon jug in an impressive manner from 50 yards. I'm beginning to think there's something to bullets which tumble...

After I got done shooting it, I brought it inside and cleaned it. Take down was extremely simple. I'd never messed with one before and it took me all of five minutes to field strip it. I'm liking this.

I did get ahold of a number of stripper clips, took half out of their cosmoline, and left the other half in for future use. I can load one about as fast as I can load a new magazine, and I'm not overly concerned about losing them should I need to reload in a hurry.

A few days later, I sighted in my SKS for Wolf hollowpoint in the black box. While some say it's not as good as the bullet used in the Military Classic, I am questioning this. According to the water jugs they perform admirably.

Anyway, this isn't a terminal ballistics test.

I needed to get sighted in at 50 to 100 yards. Going prone, I found that I needed to move the impact to the right and up some. That was strange as it shot differently while standing. I figure prone with the rifle resting on its forearm is the more stable of the two platforms, so that's what I used as my final sight in.

I'm not a fan of how far I had to drift the front sight, but it works.

This is what I came up with at 50 yards. There are two extra holes on there because I ran out of repair stickers and this was my last target.

Shots were taken by taking a deep breath, then another, then another - then squeezing the round off after I'd exhaled the third breath.

As I said, ammo was Wolf 122gr HP in the black box. Not the most accurate, but I won't shoot US made ammo until I get a spring loaded firing pin, due to the softer primers.

I'm going to let this group stand as representative of what this carbine can do in my hands, unless I do something really spectacular that warrants posting.

I like that this thing has the power I need in a controllable, accurate package.

I would like the long trigger to return like a revolver's if I let up off of it, but the hammer spring's too strong for that. As well, I'll probably fit an ambi safety sometime down the road as I'm a lefty, and I've got a peep sight on the way from Tech Sights so that I can center the front sight a bit more.

However, overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Josh <><

Administrator
Nice looking aquisition Josh! I don't own one yet, but have looked at them for years. They always spark my interest. :thumb:

Administrator
Congratulations on your Chinese SKS Joshua!

I have an early milled Chinese SKS (pre Norinco) and I'm pretty happy with it! Very reasonably accurate with Iron Sights.

I'm interested in that Hotshot ammo you've mentioned. Wonder if it is also available in .223 (5.56mm NATO).

I've used the Russian Wolff and Barnaul ammunition with no complaints in all of my 7.62x39mm Rifles. (SKS, AKM, and Ruger Mini-30)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
JWC,

Compared to the Wolf, the Hotshot stuff is junk.

Wolf, in my opinion, is only mediocre, but it works. Even the FMJ has a HUGE air pocket in the front of the bullet.

Josh <><

Registered
The Wolf Military Classic JHP uses a different bullet than the Wolf black box JHP. The MC JHP compared well in gelatin to the Corbon JHP load. It seemed identical to the old Sapan surplus load. The Wolf black box JHP doesn't tend to expand at all in gel.

IF I were to put my SKS online as a defensive gun I'd order a case of the Wolf MC JHP to have around. Then again, I might do this anyway as its as cheap as anything else for an SKS.

Steelheart

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I've heard, but gel in this case doesn't seem to reflect real life examples.

I've seen deer (emails) and other critters (coyotes, first hand) hit with the Wolf black boxed HP, and there was quite a bit of tissue disruption. Things were torn up.

Whether this was due to tumbling or deformation, I can't say for certain, but whatever it is, it does do a number on 'em.

Josh <><

Super Moderator
I got un-lucky with mine. It looked great from the outside but could even group at 25 yards. I mean it was all over the target. it looked good so I sold it to a friend that wanted to hang it on his wall with a total collection and not shoot it. I told him sbout its ability to hit birds if he's shooting at the ground and he laughed. it worked out for both of us. I got a deal on a romanian AK that was dead on. now I'm looing for a nice AR.

Registered
Keep in mind that while some of the sks's were known for accuracy, Simonov designed the rifle to be employed with squad tactics. The accuracy you described is actually normal for this gun. Par for these rifles are a man sized target at 300, your grouping is excellent for an sks. These rifles were designed so a peasant can take the gun, load it and shoot it with very little training, and very little maintenance. Joshua, your next test with the gun should be a deer sized target at a hundred yards with standard ball ammo. If you can hit it anywhere on the target you have a standard issue rifle, reliable and ready.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Ace,

I've got new sights on the way and improved the trigger somewhat with new springs. I'd like to give it a chance at 50 yards again after the new sights get here as I know I pulled several shots.

Then I'll try to find a 100 yard range and set up a deer vitals target. :)

Josh <><

Registered
The extended magazines are the largest reason for SKS jams. The factory 10 rounders rarely cause feeding problems.

The Yugoslavian SKS has another area to check is feeding isn't reliable. That's the gas valve for the grenade launcher. Use of corrosive ammo, and haphazard cleaning techniques by the largely Serbian Army leads to the valve leaking gas, and can compromise reliability.

Registered
Mine will jam with either magazine. Mine was new old stock when I got it. I saw a "repair kit" on gunbroker. All it is is o-rings to help it seal better. It makes sense to me. Anyone tried something like this?

Registered
paulrabe78 said:
Mine will jam with either magazine. Mine was new old stock when I got it. I saw a "repair kit" on gunbroker. All it is is o-rings to help it seal better. It makes sense to me. Anyone tried something like this?
Have you tried cleaning out the gas tube real well? To include the gas ports themselves?

I don't know if you've been here yet or not but there might be something here that could help.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Steelheart

Registered

Registered
Congratulations on your purchase Joshua, did you get it online or at a local shop?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts