Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe it's not that big of a dilemma, but it sure has me teetering as to which direction to take. Every time I go to Harbor Freight I try to use one of the coupons for something "FREE". More times than not this last year I picked up a free LED magnetic light, it even has a swing out plastic hook so it can be hung for better lighting. They really do put out a tremendous amount a light when using the LED lighted bar. There is also a single bulb light on the end of the case for when you don't need to lighting bright enough to light up a runway in the dead of night.

Now here is my dilemma, the batteries died on one of them. If I replace the batteries, it will no longer be a "FREE" light since I will then have a monetary investment into the light. I could just trash it and go pick up another one for "FREE", but then that is wasteful and creates more trash for the world to have to deal with due to my cheapness.

Do I recycle with new batteries, or be a liberal minded individual who is entitled to a replacement for "FREE" and allow someone else to clean up my trash by tossing the old light to the side?

Amazing the things that you can over think when your retired and no longer have the twinkling of Christmas Tree lights to occupy your eye dancing amusement.

So what say you the masses that I respect here?

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Mine is hanging on the fridge and I've not tested the batteries in quite a while. I've been thinking of doing a PM on all of the flashlights and lanterns in the house in the event of an Iranian attack on our power grid. Thanks for the reminder! :)

PS..stuff some new batteries in that sucker before the old ones corrode...AND go get another free one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As far as I am concerned, the "free" light is dead so just throw it away. If you want to keep it, then replace the batteries at your cost. Everything made today has a specific life span. Apparently, your "free" light has a life span of until the batteries die. You can increase that life span by replacing the batteries.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
man, I wish that was the kind of problem my life presented to me...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
How about going to get a new light and hang the old light on the wall. Every time a new light loses it battery hang that 1 on the wall and go get a new 1. Sooner or later you'll have a number of them on the wall and you look at them as trophies. Works for me!

Don

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I'm a bit of a flashlight geek. Most of mine are CR123 batteried or 18650's. My beast is a Streamlight ProTac HL5X. 3500 lumens of screamin' photons!! See it on the moon, you can. (When 777Driver flies over he thinks its the HIRLs.) ECD is a Microstream USB. I do have a lot of Harbor Freight Tool stuff. Drill press, flat belts sander, cut off tool, some pneumatic stuff. Also have one of those electric chainsaws on a pole for tree work and zombie attacks! Never cared for their flashlight products, tho.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Mine is hanging on the fridge and I've not tested the batteries in quite a while. I've been thinking of doing a PM on all of the flashlights and lanterns in the house in the event of an Iranian attack on our power grid. Thanks for the reminder! :)

PS..stuff some new batteries in that sucker before the old ones corrode...AND go get another free one.
KISS. This is simple! :)

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
The light was free. The batteries were along for the ride, although they too were free. But it was the free light that first induced you to act. The batteries died. You still have the free light. Put new batteries in it and now you have the free light and it works.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
The light was free. The batteries were along for the ride, although they too were free. But it was the free light that first induced you to act. The batteries died. You still have the free light. Put new batteries in it and now you have the free light and it works.
Either this or BangBang's TROPHY WALL. It's all in how you look at it.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
I bought 2 book lights in a plastic pack $9.99 + tax. My batteries finally lost enough power that I could no longer read. I went to Wally World and bought 2 button batteries $12.00 + tax.

:(

I’ll see how long the replacement batteries last.

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
I think you have way too much free time on your hands and have been over thinking it.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Well.......my solutions is that I try hard not to think at all.
Cause when I do?....I start remembering stuff. Then, I start the "Oh Sh _ _ " routine. Then I get flustered because I have too much to try to fix.
See....now this got me to thinking......"duh!......did I turn that dang coffee pot on"? Oh crap- here we go again!

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
I bought 2 book lights in a plastic pack $9.99 + tax. My batteries finally lost enough power that I could no longer read. I went to Wally World and bought 2 button batteries $12.00 + tax.

:(

I’ll see how long the replacement batteries last.
Button batteries are a scam...I went to an online seller and got a dozen for that price. Now if only more manufacturers would only standardize on a size and voltage.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: After taking into account all of your views, opinions and suggestions, I did this morning proceed in replacing the batteries in the Harbor Freight Free magnetic 2 way light with built in hanging hook for ease of use.

I am now vested to the sum of 66 cents for the cost of 3 new AAA batteries. Which in all due honesty the light is well worth the value of doing such.

Now for those of you who are scratching your head trying to figure out how I replaced 3 batteries for only 66 cents. I purchased a box of 100 AAA alkaline batteries off of Amazon a couple of weeks ago in planning for Christmas battery demands. I don't recall the brand of the batteries, but they did have a 4+ star rating overall from previous buyers. I have sworn off of the top popular brand named batteries due to so many battery operated items as of late being ruined due to leakage.

Thank you once again for helping come to the proper conclusion of a dilemma that really had no need to be given a second thought from the get go.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts