Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this saga begins with a search for a good 4" 38 for less than $300. I know...I was dreaming. I find one of these about every 4-5 months on gunbroker. Here I present to you a model 82 that looks a little rough, the seller's camera bringing out every finish issue.. He really needs to get a new camera. This is the pic from the listing.

Here is how it arrived:

Like I said the seller needs a new camera. I know this may be a wishful, but this old beauty looks like it hasn't been shot much at all. almost no turn ring. Also the insides were clean, no carbon rings on the cylinder, and no rust anywhere.

Here it is all cleaned up, the turn ring is mine after shooting almost 100 rounds today. The logo leads me to believe it is a 1981-1996 model.

My 82 weighs 34.5 oz's unloaded. After my internal fluff and buff, the DA trigger is a very smooth 8lb's, and the SA trigger is 2lb 8oz's. This target was at 15 yards using a mix of reloads while I learned the sight picture.

Here is my final run at 20 yards using my wadcutters. The tiny holes are one CCI 38 rat shot at 15 feet, do you see the sharp piece of casing at 2 o'clock.
This revolver was a total surprise being in such good condition for $249 OTD. New 82's in the matte black run $399 and on up. The lockup is good, accuracy is great, cylinder gap is around .003. Action is smooth..what more could one want from a wheel gun. The only downer is the wood grip panels. One looks like fruitwood and is nice and shiny, the other is dark walnut and is matte finished. Both grips are period correct with the correct logo's..not sure why Taurus picked two diff panels, but no worries. I have ordered a new Taurus 82 rubber grip. Thanks for reading.

·
22,837 Posts
Congratulations! I haven't had the chance to say this lately, but you got a heck of a deal!

Closeup photos with a flash do bring out marks that would be invisible in other circumstances. A good high resolution camera actually does it worse than a cheaper, fuzzier lens.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
37,017 Posts
Nice find...It's a shooter!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Congratulation's, looks good.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have target grips that came off a long departed 6-shot Taurus 66. I've included some photos. If you're interested...

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

·
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have target grips that came off a long departed 6-shot Taurus 66. I've included some photos. If you're interested...

Thanks for the offer, I would have to do some alterations, because of the huge stirrup pin in mine. Thanking about it.

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
Maybe it's a good thing the seller didn't have a better camera. Better pictures would have probably come with a bigger asking price. Congrats on getting a classic. ;) (y)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bought a pair for my M82 they didn't fit, mine has a ginormous pin that I can't get out of the frame. and It's In the wrong spot.
View attachment 477210
Your frame is newer than my old Model 66 was. The right side recoil shield was part of the side plate, as odd as that seems.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Congratulations on getting a good deal on an older Taurus 82 and may it serve you well! :cool: :)

Also, congratulations on your trigger work turning out well and good shooting! :)

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
I just love the model 82, it's almost identical on the outside to the S&W model 64 and I love the sleek, aesthetically pleasing lines of the revolver. I think those guns look great with no underlug and it is easier to carry because of it, IMO. Congrats on a great find !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts