Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
8,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always on the prowl for good condition older firearms, the more forgotten the better. Whilst hanging out at my favorite LGS, I've seen this old Italian/Turkish Cougar 8000 for months. It came in with a few old Sig 250's from an older gent, who doesn't shoot much. My pastor bought one of the 250's, I saw the like new condition of that one, and decided I needed a little more Turkey in my life. il tachino fantastico!
P1030796bb.jpg
This Cougar came like new complete in the box, with cleaning tools,manual, and three Stoeger 15 round magazines. If it was fired, there is no indication of it. The cougar is an all metal pistola, with an alloy frame and stainless steel slide in an almost cerakote finish, although I doubt that is the finish, lets call it a shiny bruniton finish.
P1030815bb.jpg
This is how it looked after running 250 rounds over three shooting sessions with no failures. My cougar weighs 30.6oz's with an unloaded magazine, 37.7 oz's with 16 rounds of 124grn golden sabers. OAL = 7.1", OAW = 1.5" (at decocker/safety levers), OAH = 5.5". The barrel is 3.6" long and I measure the trigger reach at 2.9" (from grip to trigger blade). I installed a Beretta D spring and now the trigger pull in DA = 5lbs 11 oz's, SA = 2lbs 10 oz's. The DA pull is a long 5/8" - smooth to a hard wall, and about a 1/16" break. The reset is 3/16" and tactile/audible. The slide runs like polished glass. I did install some grip tape, those plastic grip panels don't provide much traction. I used grip decals cut for a full size PX4, did a bit of trimming. The grip work really helped in the accuracy department.
P1030818bb.jpg
The pistol comes with bright 3 dot sights. Excellent slidestop/release and breaks down just like a Beretta 92. The Cougar has a unique rotating barrel making the recoil impulse more of a push than a rock, and is very mild. Follow up shots are so easy with this design.The decocker safety is slide mounted, there are no front slide serrations, but it does have a 2 slot pic rail for accessories. My total cost for this European 9mm was $320.
P1030820bb.jpg
The target above is the result of today's shooting, using a mix of 115 and 124grn reloads at 15 yards, I did back out to 20 yards for the last magazine. The hits kept on circling the bullseye. I am quite impressed, inexpensive, accurate, easy to shoot, reliable and perfect ergos for me. Another great find from my favorite LGS.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I have the compact model 9mm Stoeger Cougar as well as a couple full size in the 40SW. I also have a Beretta PX4 AS in 9mm.

The Cougar was originally manufactured by Beretta. The dropped by Beretta and the manufacturer by Stoeger. The Beretta PX4 is the latest near version of the Cougar as firearms moved towards poly construction.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Much like Taurus 92, Stoeger bought the Cougar tooling equipment from Beretta. I have shot the Beretta Cougar next to my PX4. The only difference is my PX4 has a 4" barrel where the Cougar is 3.7".
I like the rotating design.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I believe that Beretta owns a piece if not most of Stoeger?
IT was my understanding that Stoeger got the Cougar when Beretta was chasing the NATO contract and went to the lighter POLY framed PX4?
a good many of us had Stoeger cougars at one time, I still have mine as well as a Beretta PX4SC.
the cougar is a very accurate weapon for me, runs flawlessly, I think I paid like 399 for mine at Academy?
I find the rotating barrel an interesting idea but not a great selling point for me?
The down side to the cougar is the weight, the down side to the PX4 and the Cougar for me is that damned slide mounted thumb safety!

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I listed earlier that my PX4 is a compact, it is in fact a sub-compact model. I'm still working with it as to accuracy issues. I know that the pistol won't learn to adapt to me, so I am working on adapting to it...Slowly it seems.

One note on the PX4 Sub-Compact, it does not have a rotating barrel.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
IT was my understanding that Stoeger got the Cougar when Beretta was chasing the NATO contract and went to the lighter POLY framed PX4?
a good many of us had Stoeger cougars at one time, I still have mine as well as a Beretta PX4SC.
the cougar is a very accurate weapon for me, runs flawlessly, I think I paid like 399 for mine at Academy?
I find the rotating barrel an interesting idea but not a great selling point for me?
The down side to the cougar is the weight, the down side to the PX4 and the Cougar for me is that damned slide mounted thumb safety!
They got Stoeger when they bought Uberti.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Congrats on your "found old pistol".

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sweet find congrats!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Best way to deal with slide mounted safety is to take out the detent ball and make it a decock only. "G" model.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Best way to deal with slide mounted safety is to take out the detent ball and make it a decock only. "G" model.
or never place the safety on at all!--that's my solution!

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I listed earlier that my PX4 is a compact, it is in fact a sub-compact model. I'm still working with it as to accuracy issues. I know that the pistol won't learn to adapt to me, so I am working on adapting to it...Slowly it seems.

One note on the PX4 Sub-Compact, it does not have a rotating barrel.

YEP, its a tilt barrel on the Sub Compact, the SC is/was the only PX4 made in America at the time I purchased mine.
Mine is not the most accurate of my 9 MM but for a short barreled carry gun of decent weight and capacity Its accurate enough .
I like it mostly because its U-G-L-Y.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Stoeger Cougar 8000 and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:
Excellent and well written review! :smile:

I very much like the handling characteristics of your Pistol. Perhaps one day I may add one of these Cougars to my collection of very useful artifacts.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
YEP, its a tilt barrel on the Sub Compact, the SC is/was the only PX4 made in America at the time I purchased mine.
Mine is not the most accurate of my 9 MM but for a short barreled carry gun of decent weight and capacity Its accurate enough .
I like it mostly because its U-G-L-Y.
WOW, you just made my day. It looks like both of our PX4 SC have the same perfect Point of Aim accuracy...LOL.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Good looking pistol! But then I do have a couple PX4s so the style works for me. I have never shot the Cougar but have to think it shoots even softer than the PX4 since it is a metal gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts