Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was I thinking :eek:. I've had this old Glock for a few months and been having a great time with it, but why did I buy a GLOCK! All kidding aside, I have owned a few Glocks a G19 G3, a G19 G5, and a 34 gen3. But decided to part with them, mostly because of the trigger guard, and a desire to try other handguns. Yep, my fat trigger finger gets a nice German pinch each time I pull the trigger, capturing my flesh between the bottom of the trigger shoe and the inside of the trigger guard.
I always shot them very well, but the blisters and bleeding was too much ( man card revoked ). I wanted to try another Glock and perform the trigger guard mod necessary to fit my finger, but at today's prices - no way. Enter my LGS's owner's sister. She had purchased this old Glock from her brother, he was mean and made her pay real money for it. Well after a few months she decided a big old ugly Glock was not her style.

I go sauntering in on a slow Tuesday, just wanting to get my gun looking fix in for the week, and what appeared???? Oh an old Bavarian cougar wast flirting with me,,$460.00 cash out the door!

Well I had to buy her a few upgrades , ya know just to keep her from loosing interest. First was an MCarbo spring upgrade kit and lots of tender polishing..Then a new dress to help hold her firmly in my grasp. Then a new guide rod asm to keep her standing up straight. Ok enough of the blue references, lets get down to business. The Glock 17 started its life as the P80 made for the German military and police way back in 1982. As the decades progressed Gaston' upgraded his P80 platform to include all the various models and Gen's of today. This Glock 21 appears to be an early 1992 child, and saw little actual use. Did you notice my trigger guard mod? Original thickness is around .210" it is now at .10 inches, no more pinch.

So what is this Glock? Well it is a striker fired, 45acp with a 4 1/2" barrel. It holds 13 + 1 in a standard magazine. Here is a shot of pistol field stripped for cleaning. My Glock 21 weighs 29.5 oz's with empty mag and 39.9 oz's with 13+1 of 230 grain hardball. The Slide is 1.13" wide, grip is 1.3" wide. It is 5 1/2" tall from top of sights to bottom of mag. The pistol is 7 1/2" long from barrel tip to back of the slide. After the trigger work I am getting around a 2 Lb 10 oz pull with 1/4" of play until it hits the wall, crisp break, and a crisp 1/8" reset.

Why have I fallen for Glock's again? The target says it all,,this puppy groups well 20yards and keeps same groups back to 30 yards. The Glock magic pixie dust keeps recoil very manageable, and it just shoots anything, all my ball reloads, SWC's, and every hollow point I have. It is capable of a 1" group at 20 yards, if I do my part. But it is so fun to just let it go and rock. Well I have been infectedo_O. I ordered a new Gen 5 Glock 17 today, still got it below MSRP, which is pretty good these days. thanks for dropping by, more to come.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I made an impulse buy of a Glock 21 several years ago. The guy at the counter tried to steer me towards a 1911 but NOOOO I had to have another Glock. It was too big for my hands but I walked out the door with it anyway. After trying and failing to become somewhat proficient with it I ended up trading it for my FM Hi Power. The Hi Power was love at first sight for me so it was a win-win for both of us. With 13+1 you can't go wrong. ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
So, 30 years later, how is the frame and mags holding up?

Reactions: silverstring

·
8,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, 30 years later, how is the frame and mags holding up?
I lucked into a low usage one. The frame has no wear or marks, the original mag is still ok - the LGS threw in an ETS mag as well. Overall I would put usage under 2-3K rounds, as the barrel doesn;t have a full Glock smiley mark yet. Also the slide finish is still perfect - no holster wear or marks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I lucked into a low usage one. The frame has no wear or marks, the original mag is still ok - the LGS threw in an ETS mag as well. Overall I would put usage under 2-3K rounds, as the barrel doesn;t have a full Glock smiley mark yet. Also the slide finish is still perfect - no holster wear or marks.
I've heard a few reports of brittleness and breaking, especially on older mags, glad to hear yours is still going strong.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Well, I hope you washed your hands when you got done!:p

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Glock 21 and may it serve you well! :cool: :) I do like the mods you have made to it.

A few decades ago, I had a Glock 21, the exact same vintage as yours, but I never got comfortable with it, and it was one of many Firearms sold off to fund my L1A1 FN FAL Sporter project.
Had I been more patient and spent more time with it, things might have turned out differently. Back then, there were also no accessories or trigger mods to be had for it.
Not sure I would ever buy another one, but I do respect them. My S&W SW9VE is probably as close to a Glock as I'm going to get, for now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Glock 21 and may it serve you well! :cool: :) I do like the mods you have made to it.

A few decades ago, I had a Glock 21, the exact same vintage as yours, but I never got comfortable with it, and it was one of many Firearms sold off to fund my L1A1 FN FAL Sporter project.
Had I been more patient and spent more time with it, things might have turned out differently. Back then, there were also no accessories or trigger mods to be had for it.
Not sure I would ever buy another one, but I do respect them. My S&W SW9VE is probably as close to a Glock as I'm going to get, for now.
SW9VE is an excellent gun! Built like a tank and super reliable, I've never had any problems with mine, should have never sold them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Congratulations on the 21. Mine is Gen 4 and I've had it about 8 years or so. Considering its light weight construction due to the polymer frame, I was a little anxious about shooting it for the first time, but it's such a soft shooter. I really enjoy shooting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts