Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having just sold a nice old wheelgun and feeling empty nested, I found a suitable replacement two weeks later. It's a Dan Wesson Arms Model 14 revolver in .357 Mag., 6'' porkchop shrouded barrel, w/ frame notched rear sight.

It is an unusual concept in the revolver world because of its ability to easily swap out barrel lengths. Model 14's offered up 2-1/2'', 4'' and 6'' shroud/barrel combos.

This 14 came as is, from under the cracked counter glass of Dave's Rusty Gun Shop. No box or accessories. It's rare to see a 46 y.o., never-fired revolver lying on a shelf, so $700 later, out the door it went.

It is pretty up close. The revolver was imported from Germany and set on a shelf over there untouched for several decades. No bolt drag line, powder burns or fouling. There are a couple of mars in the flat black rib of the shroud, and the butt of the stock is scuffed, but that's about it for handling marks.

The thing that really sold me was its hand tool scrolled, heavy frame in the white. Scrolled accents can also be found on both sides of the frame & shroud, cylinder, trigger guard & backstrap.

Being easy to disassemble, makes it a plus, as the insides were full of dried 46 y.o. assembly grease.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
NICE looking gun. I bought a DWA .357 when I moved to the big city as a teenager. It is still my favorite gun to shoot.

So the question is...if you buy a gun like this that has never been fired, do you keep it clean in a display box or do you shoot it?

·
Super Moderator
36,073 Posts
The first handgun that I bought after getting interested in guns again some 12 years ago is a DW Model 15 with a fixed 3.5" barrel. I thought it might have been an aftermarket mod, but after speaking with the CZ rep who worked with DW before the CZ acquisition learned that they did produce guns on special order if the numbers were high enough. I've never seen another however. It is a sweet, reliabe and accurate revolver. Like I said in the other post...I would have found a way to bring that one home also.

To DB's question above...I would shoot it...sparingly.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
Interesting. Unusual to see an engraved Dan Wesson especially a 14. I wonder if it was some engraver's "practice gun". I know I'd shoot it. As much as I wanted too. I had a Model 15 and it was extremely accurate. But ultimately, while I found the interchangeable barrel system interesting it wasn't really all that useful. I sold it. Another passed through 10 years or so ago and it too ended up being trade fodder. If another one comes along in the right configuration I'll probably keep it but the prices on them these days are stupid. There are S&W's I want that I could get for less.

·
Administrator
39,734 Posts
I like the clean simplicity of it’s appearance. Nice find.:thumb:

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Flipping to the left side of the frame, two hex head machine screws retain the side plate. The longer hex screw is used to capture tension of the hammer spring.

Complete disassembly took less time to perform than any other revolver I've taken apart.

Inside was coated with original assembly grease, having the consistency of dried out Shinola. This gun's parts all fit nicely into the ultrasound bath.

Once cleaned and dry, each pivot pin and sliding surface was given a spot of GunSlick, then reassembled.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
I have a model 15, it sits in the safe on a couch drinking beer , watching TV and like many of us as we get older and do that it has gained some weight and size over the years!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
You got a nice one, congrats.

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
Very very Nice! :cool: Enjoy it! :smile:

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Very nice.

My answer is, I don't own a gun I don't shoot. :D

·
Super Moderator
36,073 Posts
Reactions: Lomax and darbo

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Beautiful piece, I hope it shoots as good as it looks!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Nice find! I know zip about older revolver prices but I'm thinking you got a pretty good deal on it.

Definitely shoot it.

·
22,321 Posts
A very high quality gun that obviously has an interesting back story. Love it.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
384 Posts
A work of art in the caring hands of a master mechanic. Congrats! Shoot it. Nice pix I liked the dramatic presentation of the reassembled gun with the red background. Good job and good buy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts