Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been telling folks this gun would feed anything. I guess I lied. I got a 333 round box of bulk Winchester 38 grain copper coated HP from Midway. This stuff works pretty well in my 10/22 and my Mk2, but little brother SR22 chokes on it. It doesn't have enough pop to move the slide back far enough to cock the hammer. Some higher dollar Winchester packed in 100 round plastic boxes like CCI comes in worked fine in the little gun, but not this stuff. Guess that's why Midway had it available, eh? Oh, well, I'll burn it up in my Mk 2 or my 10/22.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I had been telling folks this gun would feed anything. I guess I lied. I got a 333 round box of bulk Winchester 38 grain copper coated HP from Midway. This stuff works pretty well in my 10/22 and my Mk2, but little brother SR22 chokes on it. It doesn't have enough pop to move the slide back far enough to cock the hammer. Some higher dollar Winchester packed in 100 round plastic boxes like CCI comes in worked fine in the little gun, but not this stuff. Guess that's why Midway had it available, eh? Oh, well, I'll burn it up in my Mk 2 or my 10/22.
I've had nothing but problems with the Federal Blue Box stuff. I used the smaller 50 round packs, as those were the only ones I could find. The Auto Match stuff was ok - but, still had the issue were it would not pick up the 2nd round from one mag. Sent back to Ruger, and got it back in less than week. However, no ammo on hand to test.

Guess once it is broken in, then it feed everything alright - at least that is what I read on the internets.

How many rounds though your SR22?

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm around 2K rounds on it. It works fine with the 660 round bulk pack stuff and, in fact, that's the most accurate I've tried. It works great with CCI and I confirmed that with a mag full of some CCI "Tactical" I have left bought just before Walmart went totally dry, all they had on the shelf. It's not been ammo picky at all, but doesn't seem to like this Winchester bulk stuff. In fact, it's not bobbled until now on this stuff. It's the ammo, not the gun.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
That's funny. I've used the same stuff in mine and have not experienced that particular problem.. The only issue I have is that every once in a while a case will get stuck in the chamber and I have to punch it out with a cleaning rod. With my gun that issue isn't brand specific either.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
my walther p22 chokes on that one also cci tatical 25 for 375 rounds runs great though when we cqant get mini mags or remm gollden bullets

jhp

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
Some semi auto guns do not like subsonic ammo.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
My SR22 has fed everything I've fed it so far and yes I ran the bulk Winchester you described through it too. Mine does get cleaned about every week though. Not getting dirty from ammo but from carrying it on the tractor and mower when mowing and bush hogging. "A lot of dust."

·
Registered
796 Posts
My SR22 love the Federal blue box 525, Remington and CCI Standard. It soes not like Federal American Eagle nor does it like the Blazer Brass or anything sub-sonic, though I think I got a bad batch of it because it won't shoot in my 10/22 and THAT will take ANYTHING!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts