Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rafter S finally arrived for my 461. It's really sweet. I'll post some photos later. Steve at Rafer is a really good guy. I ordered this way back. He shipped one a couple of months ago that just didn't fit the gun right. I called him & he insisted that I send it back & he would do another one. This one is really nice. It's got good retention & keeps the gun high & tight.
:thumb: :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Cool. Other one might have been for a J frame? Might not been quite right for the Rossi, I'm thinkin'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally order a holster for a K frame & it was too big. Kind of like wearing an extra large shirt if you're a large size. There was some "slop" to the fit. I took some photos of the gun in the holster & sent it back. While I was waiting I did call Rossi & they said the 461 frame was closer to a J than a K. This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me because the J frames are 5 shots & the 461 is a 6 shot. The cylinder should be bigger. The people who run Rafter S are very nice people. Steve insisted that I send it back. His comment was that I should be impressed with the fit & if that wasn't the case it was wrong & he didn't want anything wrong out in the market place. Here's a link if anybody's interested.

http://www.raftersgunleather.com/

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Sounds like good folks. The .357 Rossis, from the 971 forward, are not quite a J frame small and not a K frame large. That's what I liked about my 4" stainless 971. It was very light on the hip, made a great trail gun, was only about 30 ounces.

The difference is in the FRAME and not the cylinder. The Rossi frame is a little beefier than the J frame. It'd really take its own holster. The M88/68 five shot .38s were almost exact clones of the M36 Smith J frame. The .357 frames are a tad beefier, just not quite as beefy as a K frame. They might be pretty close to a M60 .357 since its frame is beefed up and lengthened from the .38, but I've yet to handle a .357 M60.

·
Registered
228 Posts
NativeTexan said:
They might be pretty close to a M60 .357 since its frame is beefed up and lengthened from the .38, but I've yet to handle a .357 M60.
The whole idea hurts my hand.

ECS

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It sounds like the size is similar to a Colt Detective Special or Magnum Carry. Does that sound right?

Not that I've owned either of the guns listed but I wanted a MC when they were still somewhat available, too bad I didn't have any money back then.

Steelheart

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a model 877 2inch that is a snug fit in my model 66 holster
which indicates to me it is at least a k frame and the gun amazes me with its accuracy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts