Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did not get the .22 WMR (MAG) cylinder when I bought my Heritage Arms Rough Rider single action revolver. It only came with the .22LR cylinder. It wa one of those "black friday" $99.00 specials. It seems every time I checked with Heritage Arms (Taurus) they were out of stock... even as of today.. they are out of stock.

So, I found one for about $10.00 more on ebay, but at least shipping was free. It should be here next week. :)

MAG.JPG

This one looks like the revolver I got, with the faux ivory grips:
heritage.JPG

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This may be a stupid question but can't you fire 22 mag, LR, and shorts with a mag cylinder? Why wouldn't it just be standard with the revolver?

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
This may be a stupid question but can't you fire 22 mag, LR, and shorts with a mag cylinder? Why wouldn't it just be standard with the revolver?
No, there are significant differences in .22LR and mag. The LR round is a heal seated bullet, the mag seats like any centerfire. The mag, therefore, has a fatter case that will not fit a .22LR cylinder and trying to fire a .22LR in a mag cylinder could get you hurt.

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
There's slight differences between 22 mag and the rest so they don't hit the forcing cone properly when fired through the 22 mag cylinder. I color filled the 22 mag stamp on my mag cylinder with 24K gold paint (yes, real gold in the paint) to be able to tell the difference.
The 22 mag rounds are considerably louder when shot as well.

Reactions: JeeperCreeper

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
My shop keeper came with the mag cylinder and it's a bit more accurate with its fave load, 30 grain CCI polymer tip "Varmint". I keep the mag cylinder in it to run my traps, dispatches raccoons with less fuss than any .22LR load. I actually prefer plinking with 'em, too, but .22LR is a might more economical just for shooting the gong. Thing is, with .22LR, I have to aim to the right and high. With the mag, just aim right. I take the same sight picture I take with my Pietta '58 Remington. :D It's more precise. It'd be best if it shot to POA, of course, but I should be so lucky. :rofl:

I have other, slightly more accurate and better regulated .22s for shooting .22LR. The Heritage has become my .22 mag revolver. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
There's slight differences between 22 mag and the rest so they don't hit the forcing cone properly when fired through the 22 mag cylinder. I color filled the 22 mag stamp on my mag cylinder with 24K gold paint (yes, real gold in the paint) to be able to tell the difference.
The 22 mag rounds are considerably louder when shot as well.
If you'll notice, the mag cylinder is not fluted, the .22LR is fluted. Ain't hard to tell 'em apart, even blindfolded. :laugh:

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Been looking for a Mag cylinder for my RR. May have to check Ebay - $10 seems like a steal!

EDIT: LOL! I just looked at ebay ad that had one listed for $999.00! I guess their value is going up!!

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
DAYUM! I'll sell ya mine for HALF that! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been looking for a Mag cylinder for my RR. May have to check Ebay - $10 seems like a steal!

EDIT: LOL! I just looked at ebay ad that had one listed for $999.00! I guess their value is going up!!
On Ebay, you can find new ones about $10.00 USD over retail... say.. about $40.00 USD and yes... there is a lot of people buying them in bulk from Heritage Arms (Taurus) and seeing them for a profit on Ebay for way higher.. although that $999.00 one.. a bit on the weird side.. LOL!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
No, there are significant differences in .22LR and mag. The LR round is a heal seated bullet, the mag seats like any centerfire. The mag, therefore, has a fatter case that will not fit a .22LR cylinder and trying to fire a .22LR in a mag cylinder could get you hurt.
That right there. ^^^

I got away with it once because I wasn't paying attention but I've read others have found it a great way to split cases and have hot gas exiting past the rim.

·
Registered
24,898 Posts
Looks like the indexing notches are missing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buying a new cylinder might or might not be a drop-in part. They can require some tweaking. Be sure and check timing, headspace, and gap before shooting. I once knew a guy that had a .22 mag revolver and would shoot 22lr all the time. Never split a case when we shot it, but it would spit lead like crazy. Don't try this at home.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Indexing notches are there, it just doesn't have flutes. The flutes don't really do anything, they're only there to aid in turning the cylinder by hand.
Huh. And I thought they were there to save weight, making life easier for the lockwork. A quick tour of Google found no definitive answer and lots of differing opinions.

Buying a new cylinder might or might not be a drop-in part. They can require some tweaking. Be sure and check timing, headspace, and gap before shooting. I once knew a guy that had a .22 mag revolver and would shoot 22lr all the time. Never split a case when we shot it, but it would spit lead like crazy. Don't try this at home.
And I know of a guy who hunted rattlesnakes for going on 30 years and never got bit until he did and lost a leg. ;)

I'm an admin on a Rough Rider dedicated forum (not that I'm any smarter for it) and in all the years I've been a member of that forum I don't recall ever reading a post from anyone who bought a magnum cylinder after acquiring their Heritage having any of those issues. I have heard those issues are significant with Ruger .22s and their magnum cylinders often require massaging. Yes, the Ruger is unquestionably of higher quality; no one is going to argue otherwise. The advantage, in this case, of a cheaper gun is apparently sloppier tolerances can lead to easier interchangeability. :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I bought the mag cylinder for my RR several years ago and it fits and works perfectly. However, I don't use it much after I shot it a few times initially. I found it to be painfully loud and it is cheaper for me to shoot my 9mm semi-automatics. The cost is similar to the cost of shooting my 38 special revolvers. However, I have never had a mag round not fire in either my revolver or my bolt action rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts