Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reluctantly put my '87 Mack R-Model up for sale. I've posted it on Commercial Truck Trader and on a few regional CLs.
Mack1.jpg

I've had a few contact me with interest, some are coming to look at it this week/weekend but one guy in particular has me a bit concerned. It just doesn't seem right, here are the emails I've received from him so far with my replies......

John...Hi,I'll like to buy. I checked it out and it sure looks decent and Satisfactory enough.Whats ur final price? Am really interested in buying so please put me as the first priority an 2011 Jeep Libertyd consideration

Me...Hi John,
I'm pretty firm on the price, kind of on the low side as it is. Sorry, I'm really not interested in any trades.

John...I am serious about buying. How much are you letting it go for?

Me...Hi John,
I'm holding at $12,500 for now.

John...Okay, i had that price in mind.I am still on vacation with my wife and we are unsure if we will be back anytime soon since she is undergoing Dialysis on her Kidneys so I will be making a wire transfer as payment .Please i am in no rush for the funds to clear but once it does I would really appreciate if you let me schedule a pick up as soon as funds have cleared.Please I suggest you take the AD off the site since I have decided to buy...Thanks

First off, I'm a bit leery of the money transfer thing but the fact that this guy is so eager and hasn't expressed any interest in actually seeing it first, really makes me suspicious. Granted, it's a nice truck at a relatively good price but for twelve grand, buying it sight unseen ('cept for pics) seems a bit odd. My gut feeling is this is some kinda' scam or worse yet...:dry:...this guy is one of those ______' exporters...they buy up older (sturdier) trucks and ship them to South America, Africa or Asia where they get the crap out of them and eventually get rolled off a cliff on those mountain roads. I suspect the latter mostly and if that's the case, this guy ain't gettin' my truck at any price. Problem is, those exporters will rarely admit their intentions if asked. I'm just not sure how to take it from here. Any suggestions?

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Scam...

·
Registered
938 Posts
That right there ^^^^. I had a guy do close to the same thing but he wanted his assistant to meet me and give me a check because he was on a "business trip". He was willing to pay over the asking price for me to the item I was selling. It took about 3 emails to get it through his head I would only take cash in hand, no other form of payment was acceptable to me.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'd say Export, but would not trust any further than you could throw the truck. I also would not leave it in an unsecured area... A friend of mine lost a KW that way a few years back... Truck popped up in Mexico, Federalies would do nothing...

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
He may just be someone that english is not their first language.
He also may be a scam artist.
Tell him to bring cash and meet him across the street from the local police station for the transaction.
I sell a lot through Craigslist.
It's always cash and we meet within visual distance of the local police station.
If they won't do that then I know I just saved myself a huge headache.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Scam!!!!

Bw

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
Scam Scam Scam, and in case you did not get that, SCAM SCAM SCAM

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've sold and bought stuff from Craigslist and my wife does the Facebook "yard sale" thing (don't know what it is and not sure I got that right) and I always take cash only and never meet unarmed and always in a very public place. I would never take anything other than cash and will not sell to someone I couldn't shake hands with unless it's on eBay.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Let me add to the rest of the people that say scam, and that if you do any business, do it near a police station.

With that said, I just want to add that that is one of the nicest old 'Bulldogs' I have seen in a long time. Too bad I don't have a need for something like that.

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me add to the rest of the people that say scam, and that if you do any business, do it near a police station.

With that said, I just want to add that that is one of the nicest old 'Bulldogs' I have seen in a long time. Too bad I don't have a need for something like that.
She's been a real sweetheart, I hate to part with her but it's just the right thing to do. It hasn't been on the road for over 6 years, I've only used it to move some storage trailers around my lot. Now that they're all spotted where I want 'em, I really have no use for it anymore and don't want it to just sit unused. A truck like this deserves better.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
So where would you take your wife on vacation where they will do dialysis? And the grammar is obviously (to me) written by someone who grew up speaking something other than English. You might just tell him that it already sold so he doesn't bother you further.

·
Registered
27,120 Posts
To do a wire transfer, you have to transmit your account information. Only way to do that safely is to set up a dummy account with next-to-nothing in it, and very strong password protection.

That said, I decided I didn't know enough about international wire transfers to offer an opinion, so I looked it up.

This is an example of what I found:
What about receiving a wire transfer – is that safe? For the most part, yes. Payments are more certain because banks only wire money out if the sender has the funds available. Once the money arrives, it should be yours for the taking within one business day (although exceptions may apply). What's more, it is very difficult for the sender to pull money back after it's been transferred.

However, you’ll want to make sure that a real wire transfer was completed (talk with your bank to find out if the funds have “cleared,” or if you need to wait). Some electronic payments can be reversed, and thieves like to take advantage of your confusion – by promising to send a wire transfer but actually sending money using a different (reversible) method, for example.

Other Types of Electronic Transfers
The term wire transfer gets used for various types of electronic transfers. Those transfers are generally not as instant or safe as bank wire transfers, as described above. In fact, almost all payments are electronic these days (even checks get digitized)

Money Transfer services: Western Union money transfers and MoneyGram are sometimes called “wires” and some of those transfers are more or less instant (if you pay with cash and both parties go to a retail location). However, if you fund those transfers from your bank account, the process will take at least several days. If you use your credit card for a wire transfer, you’ll pay extra fees.

ACH transfers: automated clearing house (ACH) transfers are also different. The money moves from bank to bank, but the transfer takes several days, and the payee won’t know for sure if the funds will arrive. What’s more, ACH can only be used for transfers within the United States, while wire transfers can be used globally.

Apps and P2P payment tools: there are several ways to send money without using your bank (directly) or a money transfer service. Venmo, PayPal, Square Cash, and others complete electronic transfers for you, but they probably aren’t considered “wires.” Be sure to check with those service providers on any risks you might be taking (especially if you pay somebody you don’t know). They’re easy and inexpensive, but they all work differently.
https://www.thebalance.com/bank-wire-transfer-basics-315444

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To do a wire transfer, you have to transmit your account information. Only way to do that safely is to set up a dummy account with next-to-nothing in it, and very strong password protection.

That said, I decided I didn't know enough about international wire transfers to offer an opinion, so I looked it up.

This is an example of what I found:

https://www.thebalance.com/bank-wire-transfer-basics-315444
Thanks! I was never really up for anything but cash anyway...:unsure:...maybe a cashiers check but I'm pushin' for cash. I'm pretty sure this guy is an exporter.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Don't give him your bank account number under any circumstances!

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
There are always plenty of local businesses that need a truck of your type for local and short haul trips, 500 miles or less. I remember my brother buying one to haul trees from central Texas. His favorite Movie was Smokey and the Bandit, until Top Gun came out, and yes, he got a ride in a Talon T-38. Run Bandit run!

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are always plenty of local businesses that need a truck of your type for local and short haul trips, 500 miles or less. I remember my brother buying one to haul trees from central Texas. His favorite Movie was Smokey and the Bandit, until Top Gun came out, and yes, he got a ride in a Talon T-38. Run Bandit run!
Problem is, if you "hit the brakes" like Maverick...:sad:...you can really screw-up a load in a freightbox.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts