Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to taking my daughter to High School this morning, I asked her some questions that I heard on The Blaze.

She could not name the war that we gained our independence from. She could not tell me the form of government the United States has. She could not name the countries that border the United States. She could not name a country that started with the letter U.

She said, "Leave me alone, I have an A in History."

‘53’ States? Video of Teens Failing Miserably at a Civics Quiz Is So Depressing It’s Funny
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/category/education/ Q: Who is the vice president?
A: "bin Laden"

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
It's a shame these kids think being stupid is funny. It won't be funny to them when they find out what happens to stupid people in this country. I also think it's kind of scary that, while they're knowledge of history is in the toilet, I'm sure their political indoctrination is coming along swimmingly. I guess it's so much easier to conduct political indoctrination if the kids don't actually know anything about history and current events. Used to be schools tried to teach kids how to think, and today it seems they're taught what to think. Which is another reason the federal government needs to get their noses out of education.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
This is one of my pet peeves. The DoE is dumbing down our children. NCLB(No Child Left Behind) is huge failure and needs to go away.
Once again, we have to take ownership of our children's education, just like our political system.
I have Net Flix and they have a tremendous library of educational DVD's( i get the instant view). One, "The History of us" by Ken Burns, starts with Jamestown and goes forward to present day.
There's all kinds, how congress works, the Presidents, Lewis & Clark etc.
My daughter and I would watch these, pause them, have a discussion about what was happening at that point in time. Many times, she would correct her teacher, or bring up things, he wouldn't touch.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I blame the hippies. During the vietnam war the one easy ticket to a deferment was education. So rather than answer their country's call, scads of these weasels hid out in college. They got a bachelors degree. War still on - back for a masters. War still on - time for that PHD. They wound up with so much education that the only place they could work was in education. And these are the people who have been teaching the nations kids for the last thirty years or so. Cowards that were afraid to do their part for their country, and chose instead to hide behind high moral ideals. Ideals that were corrupted as soon as the bullets quit flying. Don't believe me? Remember Jerry Ruben? Every other phrase out of his mouth was "anti establishment." Then the war ended, and he became an investment banker. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in this? And he's far from the only example...

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I blame the hippies. During the vietnam war the one easy ticket to a deferment was education. So rather than answer their country's call, scads of these weasels hid out in college. They got a bachelors degree. War still on - back for a masters. War still on - time for that PHD. They wound up with so much education that the only place they could work was in education. And these are the people who have been teaching the nations kids for the last thirty years or so. Cowards that were afraid to do their part for their country, and chose instead to hide behind high moral ideals. Ideals that were corrupted as soon as the bullets quit flying. Don't believe me? Remember Jerry Ruben? Every other phrase out of his mouth was "anti establishment." Then the war ended, and he became an investment banker. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in this? And he's far from the only example...
That makes so much sense. It really explains a lot.

Now I have some explaining to do to my daughter.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Its sad, but at least she has an A right, the system must be doing its job....;)

My daughter is in elementary school right, now, and it is a good school for the most part, my wife spends so much time volunteering there I think she should get paid! That gives us a good window into the school though.

But we do also teach our daughter stuff out side of school as well and make sure we lay the ground work against some of the crap she might encounter, such as revisionist history (from liberals, or more likely in her school conservatives! and yes both sides do it!) or the facts to rebut the man made global warming farce...

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
What's really amazing is that the kids today think they're a lot smarter than previous generations. During the 2008 election I had a discussion with a twenty-four year old, and he was telling me how much smarter the younger generation was. I had to provide him with a little more education. First I asked him if he expected to be smarter or dumber in thirty years, and advised him that you learn quite a few things just by living a long time. I also pointed out that the existence of the internet, and having the world's information at his finger tips didn't make them smarter - it made the availability of information more prevalent. I also pointed out to him that his generation didn't invent nor build the internet - mine did. I'd be a lot more impressed with how 'smart' the current generation is if they could do long division without a calculator. If we ever run out of batteries, this generation is going to be in big trouble.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
If we ever run out of batteries, this generation is going to be in big trouble.
Thats funny db, I just had a conversation with a friend (also a pilot) along those same lines. We were laughing about a student pilot he overheard who couldn't even use an analog (no batteries all metal, no electronic parts) E6-B flight computer (photo below). Someone asked him what happened if his batteries were to die, he said he carried spares... While a good idea, what happens if you forget your batteries, or the heat from being left in a plane on the ramp in the summer kills them... or the electronic computer dies as computers sometimes do...

If you got the old tin wiz wheel, and know how to use them, (even as just a backup) those things while not completely indestructible, come pretty darn close!

I wonder if the younger generation would even call this a computer!

e6b.jpg

If it worked to get Lindberg over the Atlantic and to navigate our Bombers to reduce Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan to rubble, (with slight modifications) it must work! I've never even owned one with a microchip!

Reactions: Sarge and aquajim

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This is the school system that graduated my son even tho he can barely write. Smarter than crap but the teachers insisted on going at a incredibly slow pace and still taught NOTHING. He went to an alternative school to get his diploma and learned more in 6 weeks of that.

Sarge

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our enemy has been teaching our kids.

Hell, a few generations of teaching like this, they could even get one of their own elected President of our country.

I was about to say they took us over without a shot being fired, but that battle is yet to be fought.

While making this post, my brother in law called. As I was telling him about our conversation, I got choked up. She's a good girl. She's isn't stupid. She has just learned what they are teaching her.

·
21,932 Posts
Thats funny db, I just had a conversation with a friend (also a pilot) along those same lines. We were laughing about a student pilot he overheard who couldn't even use an analog (no batteries all metal, no electronic parts) E6-B flight computer (photo below). Someone asked him what happened if his batteries were to die, he said he carried spares... While a good idea, what happens if you forget your batteries, or the heat from being left in a plane on the ramp in the summer kills them... or the electronic computer dies as computers sometimes do...

If you got the old tin wiz wheel, and know how to use them, (even as just a backup) those things while not completely indestructible, come pretty darn close!

I wonder if the younger generation would even call this a computer!

View attachment 21048

If it worked to get Lindberg over the Atlantic and to navigate our Bombers to reduce Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan to rubble, (with slight modifications) it must work! I've never even owned one with a microchip!
I actually had to learn how to use this when getting my pilot's license. Don't ask me to use it now....

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Right on the money!!!!

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Our enemy has been teaching our kids.

Hell, a few generations of teaching like this, they could even get one of their own elected President of our country.

I was about to say they took us over without a shot being fired, but that battle is yet to be fought.

While making this post, my brother in law called. As I was telling him about our conversation, I got choked up. She's a good girl. She's isn't stupid. She has just learned what they are teaching her.
Stupid was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Uneducated would have been more accurate. I don't think the current generation is any more lacking in intelligence than previous generations, they're just not getting the same material presented to them. They're a lot more arrogant than previous generations, though, but what do you expect when they've been told since kiddy garten how special they are. The fix for that seems pretty straight forward - stop worrying about their self esteem and concentrate on educating them. No more participation trophies - merit based awards only. That's the way the real world works, and our education systems should acknowledge that fact.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stupid was probably a poor choice of words on my part.
I wasn't thinking of your post. That was my word.

Because I was asking her questions that she knew were simple, she got defensive. I don't blame her. Hopefully she has just figured out they are wasting her time. I will play the Youtube video that starts out with Jay Leno tonight for the family.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Unfortunately this is also happening in the UK.

Kids are leaving school barely able to read.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Some scary storied here. I'd suggest to you guys if your kid can't tell you which war gave America its independence or if your kid's graduating without being able to read or write: Get involved and help your kids with their homework. You have a greater influence on your children than the school does. Not making excuses for the schools, but because of incompetent parenting teachers are having to be social workers and don't have the time in six hours to teach the three Rs like they used to (and maybe even preachers in Indiana science classes). To clarify, I'm not saying any posters in this thread are incompetent parents, but because of other kid's incompetent parents it takes away from your kid's learning experience.
Simple fact is, you have to get involved with your kid's life and don't expect the school to raise them.
Wish it weren't that way, but...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Our school system has become nothing more than an overpriced daycare center so that parents can generate tax revenue.

Reactions: kaiged1
1 - 20 of 46 Posts