Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went ahead and bought a PT-145 from Gander Mountain. Waiting is going to be very difficult. Looks like Tylenol PM before bed every night until they let me pick it up. Will post pics once I get it in my eagerly awaiting hands.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome to the every enlarging PT145 Club, here at TaurusArmed. I'm thinking we're going to need a separate forum for this gun alone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad I was turned onto it by a friend. I did a lot of searches on Google and Yahoo and couldn't find this site.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
The site is still young! Give it time. :)

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new pruchase. I don't think it will let you down, I know mine hasn't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely glad it's here. While I'm waiting I'd like to find out a little more history about the PT-145 as well as the other Milleniums. I'll search the site and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The PT145 is an awesome little gun. Taurus definately got it right. In the earlier generations (primarily Generation 1) there was some issues with the frame cracking, near the rear. That was ironed out in the latest generation. As with any firearm, there have been some reports of issues, but this gun generally gets good reviews.

I was on another forum the other day and saw a post about somebody who had a PT145 that was having issues with ejecting. It ended up being a FTC issue (Failure To Clean, no initial cleaning), and after a quick cleaning it did great. But, what was funnny about this, was that right below that thread was another post by somebody who had a Springfield XD that woudln't eject properly. His had to go back to Springfield!

Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, here goes:

1) What year did the PT-145 come out?
2) How about the Millenium series, did they all come out at the same time?
3) I see there are 3 generations of PT-145, what were the changes to them? I suppose the rail is on the 3rd gen?
4) There seems to be a basic similar design between the Milleniums and the Kel-Tec P11. The frame pins are in the same spot, the slide stop and take down pin, etc. Was there a joint venture on this like Walther/S&W had on the P99 and SW99?
5) What trigger variations are there in the Millenium series?
6) Does anyone own both a PT-111 and PT-145? I'm thinking about it to save on ammo (or just an excuse to own another pistol) but I have a P11 already and so don't REALLY need another one. :-\
7) The Taurus website shows the PT-145 with no rail, but the one I am getting has a rail. Many holster makers specify with rail and without for their models. Do they still make the PT-145 without a rail or has Taurus not updated their site?

I'm excited about this and can't wait to get it to a range. I'd also like to hear:

8) Any experience with a slip-on grip cover to help tame recoil?
9) I like using the low recoil rounds in my P11, anybody try these in the PT-145?
10) It seems like a very popular pistol and I want a laser for it but no one makes one for specially for it, anyone try the Lasermax Uni-Max on theirs?

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
1) Not sure

2) I would assume they all came out around the same time. One after the other closely together, but that's an assumption

3) 1st gen, had a couple of problems. 2nd gen was mainly to fix those problems I believe, they may have made some other small changes as well, dunno. 3rd gen got a new trigger (SA/DA) and new sights, prolly a couple more 'fixes' from the 2nd gen.

4) Taurus is known for taking other guns and redesigning them slightly making needed or welcomed changes. They will share a lot of similarities between other guns sometimes, but are usually better than the original. That may explain the similarities, but I wouldn't think KelTech would be one they would copy off of. That very could have been the other way around. I don;t know.

5) The current ones are SA/DA (SA with a second strike feature).

6) I know Qwiks Draw has both. You may hit him up or wait until he chimes in.

7) I believe the 3rd gens come with the rail.

8 ) I have one, but haven't put it on. It's not that bad really. I did sand the checkered grips down some to make it a little easier on the hands. Other than that, I haven't had any problems or complaints with the recoil.

9) Mine will cycle HydraShok low recoil (165grain) and Aguila IQ with no probs.

10) I would like to have one for the guide rod, but have come up dry so far. You have to watch accesories for the MilPro's cause the rail is so short and it will hit the trigger gaurd if it's not short enough. That's the only problem with the gun and rail accesories.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
okranger said:
OK, here goes:

4) There seems to be a basic similar design between the Milleniums and the Kel-Tec P11. The frame pins are in the same spot, the slide stop and take down pin, etc. Was there a joint venture on this like Walther/S&W had on the P99 and SW99?

9) I like using the low recoil rounds in my P11, anybody try these in the PT-145?
4. The reason for the similarity is that Taurus (and half of the other semi-autos produced) are based on John Browning's design for the P-35 (Hi-Power). It is a reliable and enduring design

10. The dual recoil springs are pretty stiff, so try light loads to make sure they cycle. The dual recoil system is also the reason the recoil is so moderate.

·
32,789 Posts
Flyer, You didn't page me? Shocked.Just shocked. ::) :) ;D ::) Oh brother!!! Anyway here goes. The PT111 Mil/pro is a neat little gun. Cheap to shoot ammo wise. Easy to find holsters. Soeme Glock 26 leather and PT145 holster will fit, but check it out for yourself. Less recoil than the larger calibers. Sights are easy to use. Trigger takes a little getting used to compared to the DA/SA semi autos. DAO only on the PT111 Mil/pro. Older model PT111 had somewhat spongy trigger and feedramp problems with some ammo brands. New ones, the Mil/pro, recitified that problem. Sights are not Heinie's, but a standard type. Plenty of light on either side of the sight picture. As for slip grips. Hogue, Pachmayr and Pierce Grips should fit. Tried one on mine ,but decided against it due to small hands and recoil reduction was small. The tacky rubber does help in holding it. Take down is easy in my humble opinion. Any other questions on the PT111?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks QW, appreciate the info. Tommorrow is the day I pick it up. I won't have the time to get it and go to the range
but should get time this weekend for pics and a few hundred rounds downrange. Found an outfit that makes lasers for my P11 and liked the
looks and how it turns on. Spoke with Nick at armalaser and was told that they will be coming out with a version for the PT-145 in a few months. Ordered my Hogue handall last Friday and should get it tommorrow as well. CAN'T SLEEP TONIGHT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.