Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first saw it at a gun show a few weeks ago. I have the 24/7 9mm Compact for CC.

I just couldn't shake the look, the fit in my hand, and the integral laser.... so I picked one up for when I need a smaller pistol for the pocket.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Congrats... I considered one of these, but with my LCP and my LC9... I think I'm okay on pocket rockets for a while.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Enjoy it

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Make sure and give us a good range report. If you know someone with a different pocket .380, I would be curious how they rate the S & W.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition of your new Bodyguard .380!

I have one as well, and enjoy the security of having a manual safety...and, of course, the built-in laser is a definite plus!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition of your new Bodyguard .380!

I have one as well, and enjoy the security of having a manual safety...and, of course, the built-in laser is a definite plus!
A manual safety is redundant though on a DAO pistol though, heh.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe not redundant, but more safe..... Even though it has the Hard double action only trigger pull, the manual safety appealed to me as making it "more safe" in my pants pocket (front or rear).

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is a nice looking pistol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mayonaze,

I have to question the idea that a manual safety is "more safe" in a carry pistol.

I thought long and hard about that before I finally decided that, FOR ME, the long and fairly heavy DAO type trigger was the safer way to go, and here's what led me to that decision.

1. In the cool, calm environment of everyday carry, the long trigger pull and a good pocket holster is a "more than adequate" method of preventing a *BANG* ... (just my opinion, of course)
2. If I'm ever required to actually deploy the pistol ALL I want to have to remember is PULL, POINT, SHOOT 'till the problem goes away.

This became crystal clear to me as being the right decision (for me) when I went to my first IDPA event a couple of weekends ago ... The pistol I used was DA/SA with a Manual safety/Decocker and more than once I wound up pulling the trigger and NOT getting a *BANG* when I did. Yes, I know, more practice would probably help in that department but ... If the relatively mild excitement of IDPA caused me to stare stupidly at the rear end of my "non-firing" pistol for a moment until I realized I hadn't removed the safety, I'm reasonably sure that the MUCH HIGHER level of stress caused by NEEDING to use my pistol would make it even more likely to cause a problem.

So, in my mind, simpler is better ... as in "keep it simple, stupid" is a SAFER method ... at least for me.

As a result, my EDC pistols (Kahr PM9 and/or Taurus TCP) are both *DAO/no safety/Pull-Point-Shoot* weapons.

As always, YMMV but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm going to the gun show in Phoenix next weekend, and this is one I'm considering - I like the feel in my hand, let us know what you think after shooting it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
JohnInFlorida has a very good argument. One must train mightly to sweep off a manual safety to gain that quicker and possibly more accurate trigger.
Makes one think again about the symplicity of a wheel-gun.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Congrats on your S&W bodyguard.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. I do understand that J I F makes some good points about the dao gun with a safety. Understanding that information will force me train with this weapon to develop the muscle memory to take the safety off as I draw. I appreciate you bringing that valid concern to my attention; I really do. One thing to consider is that should your weapon be taken from you by the BG, and your safety is off, all he has to do is pull the trigger. Now if the BG gets my weapon, and the safety is on, he has to figure that out, perhaps giving me a split second to regain control. My muscle-memory training will have the safety off, upon drawing the weapon, automatically (semi-pun intended).

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Nice :) I about got one myself then I made the mistake of shooting a P238 and it cost me an extra 300 bucks lol

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
I first saw it at a gun show a few weeks ago. I have the 24/7 9mm Compact for CC.

I just couldn't shake the look, the fit in my hand, and the integral laser.... so I picked one up for when I need a smaller pistol for the pocket.

Here are some pics:
well congrads on the new weapon.
A good pistola i am sure I don't particularly like the weapon due to overall size, laser, manual safety on a DAO pocket pistol, but then again if it pushes your buttons then thats all that matters.
they seem to be selling a bit better since they dropped the prices about 200 bucks or so.
give us a range report when you shoot it .

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
One of the articles that I read advised that the slide was a zinc-casting. Is that true? It's a good looking little gun, and I hope that it works well for you.

As to the safety. I have been using single-action guns for decades. I automatically sweep the safety during the draw. The first time that I tried to qualify with a Beretta M9, I was left with a stirring silence. I had the same initial problem with a Ruger P-90. That cute little slide mounted lever wasn't in the right place. Now, add to that the fact that I'm left-handed, and it just keeps getting better.

You will respond as you have trained. Pick up a 1911, and try the same thing. You'll be tugging at the trigger all day. A S&W, with a decocker- only will also leave you wondering what the heck has happened. There are also imported revolvers with safeties, same thing.

It's a straw-man argument when one points out that their lack of training has caused a problem because of the gun.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Congrats on the new BG. As for the safety vs no safety thing, if you like it, that's all that matters. It's hard to overestimate the value of peace of mind. When you're carrying something capable of putting a hole in your femoral artery, it's nice to put your mind at ease. I would recommend using a pocket holster either way. The bodyguard seems to be pretty popular, so finding a good pocket holster for it shouldn't be a problem.

I have an LCP and am fine without the extra safety, but to each his own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
be sure and write us a report after you have shot it a bit!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mayonaze,
And that's what makes the world go 'round! Each person weighs the benefits and shortcomings of a product and makes the decision of what's best for them. Congratulations on the new pistol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts