Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a 3" SP101 .327 but chickened out. I don't have a small wheel gun for ccw but more than a few auto's. I have rat holed a few hundred away and was ready until my friend asked me if i wanted any of the stuff he was taking to the dump. I got a like new, light weight, 14' x 6' powder coated aluminum roof section used for a walkway with gutters. It's the roof for my new chicken coop! I got the concrete to set the poles today. I'll post pic's when i top the poles with it.
After i frame it up and get a roosting/nesting box on it I'll get the wire and order 10 buff orpington chicks.
Tractor supply started their "Fall Chicken Days" this week. Animal and chicken wire on sale along with all things chicken.
I'll get the SP101 anther time. For less the $400 bucks I'll have a 10x6 roofed aviary with a 6 'x30' fenced run. Ohh and fresh yard eggs!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Buff Orpingtons? Man, you got some taste in chickens. Grand looking birds! but only ten? 10'x6' with nests and a roost should double that.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's all the city will let me keep. That's as small as I want for a walk in anyway. The free 14' roof gives me a two foot over hang and is pretty much the driving force on the size. I'm shooting for 6'2" headroom. I have 5 of the 6 4x4 i need as well as a sheet of metal left over from my bro in laws 40 x 60 building he put up. I'll side the 3'x4'x6' nesting/roost box with it on the top of one end. I'll post pic as i go. I have enough old chain link fence i saved up to put on the ground/ underground. I'll hog nose the 14ga fence i'm rapping the coop to it
so nothing can dig in and backfill.​

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Congrats to you! You can sell the eggs to recoop (pardon the intentional pun) your investment and get the Ruger!

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Having your own chickens is so cool! Enjoy your new endeavor!!!;)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
An SP-101?

I thought you wanted a small wheel gun? Ruger SP-101's are too 'Reubenesque' to be considered 'small'. :p

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I have always wanted to raise chickens ( and buy another Ruger wheel gun). Problem is all my friends do and I get all kinds of free fresh eggs so I can't get motivated.

·
8,549 Posts
Enjoy the new endeavour in fowl funnies. I think your starting amount of keets is a good idea. Cleaning a coop is - well hot and stinky. The more chickens the more cleaning.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Eggcellent choice of laying hens. At my peeck in chicken raising I had over 300 Buffs. They are eggcelent broad hens also but the city probably won't let you have a rooster..:) I have 25 Buff hens at the moment. Waiting for them to start laying.

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
I would’ve taken the gun. Got no patience for chickens. I already have a 4” 327 but if I run across a LCR in 327 it’s mine!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, i got the ground ready to build the coop. I got the garden tiller out and leveled the ground and made drainage trench. Then put down the old chain link fence so no critter can dig in. Marked out where to put the poles in the ground. Got the post hole digger, wheel barrel, concrete, wire cutters, saw saw with a wood blade for roots. First hole had root the size of your arm. The Saw saw cut it like butter. I got it dug, pulled the fence over, cut it with the wire cutters enough for the pole. Drop in the pole, level, concrete move to the next. Hit a root a little smaller this time and harder wood but saw saw got it. So cut wire, drop pole in, concrete, level. Next hole no roots. Cool until i hit the underground power cable to the house @ 30" down. I was really lucky as just nicked the shield and got a little spark. I had the hole down 36" and drop the pole in. I pulled the tape measure and it was two inches wide so i needed to shave the hole. That is when i hit it. Why did it hit it? I'm not in line with the box? Ohh, years ago they replaced the line and went a round the burn pile before going to the house. I don't think the line needs replacing just some mastic to seal it but not my call. I know the call out guy for the power Co. he live 15 house away around the corner. I'll see him in the A.M.
You know the old saying... Don't count your chickens until the coop is built.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
One of the women from church has a number of hens that lay colored eggs, the dark red, blue, and green eggs. There is never any doubt about whether her eggs are store bought, plus they have bright golden yokes. But the same thing, no roosters. There are a number of places that only have roosters, but I think the law has stopped most of that.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well , the Power Co. wrapped some rubber on the nicked line. No strands cut or burnt so back to putting in poles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Love the .327 Caliber, I have a Taurus M327 and it is snappy with hot 100gr loads.

Good luck with the chickens. Fresh eggs are great.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day old chicks. 4 IAS Brown and 4 buff Orpingtons I'm an old mother hen now. It should be easy, i have been an old mother for sometime according to what i hear.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts