Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Taurus G2c and it's been my carry gun since 2018, I have never had any problems with it. I was shooting some Blazer ammo the other day and some powder got into my striker channel. I decided I would to a complete tear down for the first time to make sure everything was cleaned. There was powder in the spring area and I decided to remove the springs. Those two little spring retainers are now in some land far away as I can't find them. I called Taurus and they are restrcted parts. The lady said $50 for the label and $50 for the repair, $100 total to get my gun up and running again. I have been a Taurus owner since my first 605 back in 2016, own this G2c and a G3c but I won't get another because of this kind of service. I know I can go to Lakeline but Taurus should sell something like this and this kind of part should not be restricted. I will miss this little gun as it has been 100% reliable with everything I put through it.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Why oh why do people detail strip pistols? Was the powder causing misfires? Inless the channel had lube in it, if it bothered you, compressed air will blow it out. I'm pretty sure the manual makes reference to not stripping the gun down further than field stripping. So, you failed to follow the manual, lost parts, and your angry that Taurus won't sell you the parts. Interesting.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why oh why do people detail strip pistols? Was the powder causing misfires? Inless the channel had lube in it, if it bothered you, compressed air will blow it out. I'm pretty sure the manual makes reference to not stripping the gun down further than field stripping. So, you failed to follow the manual, lost parts, and your angry that Taurus won't sell you the parts. Interesting.
I have never torn down this gun past the regular stripping since I bought it new in 2018, but there was powder down in the channel and in the springs. I do not have compressed air to use to blow it out. I have owned guns for over 40 years and handguns for almost 35 years and have taken more guns apart than I can count but I am getting clumsy some as I get older I guess. I just didn't think that those little small parts should be restricted.

·
Super Moderator
40,621 Posts
You seemed to enjoy the pistol, thought it a good value and trusted it to carry for years. Now you lost some parts that cannot be replaced on the open market...yet. If it were me, I'd buy another G2C, probably well under 200 bucks with the current rebate, and use your original one as a parts gun. You have extra magazine I presume?

Don't want to keep your broken one? Part it out and sell the barrel, frame, and other components and probably recoup your outlay on the new G2C.

Regardless of what you do, even if you sell all of your Taurus gear out of spite, the good news is that you can remain on the best gun site in the world.

·
Registered
37,712 Posts
well I certainly understand, although my trials and tribulations with taurus is a bit more involved than yours.
MY first taurus was a mod 99 back in 1987, after that over the years i ended up with 10 taurus weapons.
the 99 still as a fine weapon and is past 10,000 rounds and only 2 recoil springs replaced.
but things went down hill from there with me having to return 5 of the 10 to the factory for repair, one went back twice so really it is 6 out of 10.
anyway things like you mention , I needed to replace a extractor on a brand new 1911, they would not sell the part and actually said they didn't have any in stock to sale, so the rep said let me send you a shipping label and just send it in, they should have an extractor in repair.
so 13 weeks later I got my new 1911 back with a new extractor!
then the TCP that went back for a new barrel, a few others , then the straw that broke the camels back was the so called return of all 24/7 pistols and what they were giving you for them.
along with the poor customer service and the inability to buy pretty standard parts just ended my relationship with Taurus.
I still have 4 PT1911 and the model 99, between Taurus repair and myself they are all running fine now.

Reactions: Tomtull

·
Registered
333 Posts
Too late now, but as I get older I use an old carburetor rebuilding method. I use a cardboard box and cut out one of the long sides and this captures any flying parts" Keeps small parts with wings from leaving the immediate vicinity. Very frustrating working on the more intricate innards of my guns nowadays as I'm a life long machinist/mechanic that has worked with many automotive units that contain very small and never needed anything extra to work on them.

·
Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
389 Posts
Well, look at the bright side. You had a reliable gun for 4 years. I had a brand-new S&W M&P 45 that suffered from a dead trigger. It would fire, but every now and then it would just cycle and not do anything. SOOOO, I sent it back, and over a month later I had it and a note that stated, "couldn't replicate the problem". I tried it again and it still had problems. I bought a MCarbo kit and polished everything, and now it cycles fine, with the SAME ammo. It is unfortunate that Tarus doesn't sell every part, but a lot of other gun makers don't either.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think these from lakeline might work:Lakeline LLC
Taurus Striker Spring Retainer Set, G2, G3, G3C, G3X, G3XL, GX4 (lakelinellc.com)

Or look for a gunsmith. Those retainers, I believe they are called firing pin spring bushings, are probably very similar or the same as other makes.

Taurus website G2C manual with parts diagram starting on page 34. part number 20 firing pin spring sleeve: Taurus_Manual_G2c.pdf (taurususa.com)

Edit:
They also have a one piece made out of stainless steel. I think I would want to upgrade other things if I were to get this one, but maybe this would be really good and harder to lose:
Stainless Steel Striker Spring Retainer Set, fits Taurus G2, G3, G3C, G3X, G3XL, GX4 (lakelinellc.com)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I’m sorry the parts got away from you. However not sure I would blame Taurus. So to spite them you have to get accustomed to a new piece at what $.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
When I bought my Taurus pistols I knew from here and other sites what I could be in for...I've been fortunate to have no issues so far.
I also know I've got.my value and if they were broken, I'm not out a ton of money.
Most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on, and a "lifetime " warranty is not your lifetime but what they say the lifetime is. That generally means 3 to 5 years after production of a model ceased.
While you may think it's no big deal to replace the parts, their legal team said to restrict the items as it is a liability in their eyes.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a Taurus G2c and it's been my carry gun since 2018, I have never had any problems with it. I was shooting some Blazer ammo the other day and some powder got into my striker channel. I decided I would to a complete tear down for the first time to make sure everything was cleaned. There was powder in the spring area and I decided to remove the springs. Those two little spring retainers are now in some land far away as I can't find them. I called Taurus and they are restrcted parts. The lady said $50 for the label and $50 for the repair, $100 total to get my gun up and running again. I have been a Taurus owner since my first 605 back in 2016, own this G2c and a G3c but I won't get another because of this kind of service. I know I can go to Lakeline but Taurus should sell something like this and this kind of part should not be restricted. I will miss this little gun as it has been 100% reliable with everything I put through it.
You looking for these retainers ?

Taurus Striker Spring Retainer Set, G2, G3, G3C, G3X, G3XL, GX4 | eBay

·
23,877 Posts
Wait, let me consult the list of companies I've managed to dictate policy to.......

:unsure:

Full disclosure; I don't own a S&W because of things their management did in the Clinton Administration. So the pot isn't denying a certain lack of optical reflectivity.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably get the stainless fromm Lakeline but won't buy another Taurus because of non help on small items. I bought a Ruger 10/22 and have the complete parts set including the firing pin. I contacted Ruger on my 308 American when the pad got chewed up by my house dog, Ruger set a whole stock and pad set free. I will continue to carry this G2c as it has proven itself but until parts are easy I will buy from companies like Ruger that will ship them right out.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts