Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recreation Target archery Room Precision sports Individual sports
Furniture Shelf Table Floor Room

I saw a video on YouTube with instructions to build a portable target stand, cheap.... So I tried it. Here's what I ended up with:

bill of materials:

(4) 1-1/2" X 18" PVC pipe (feet)
(2) 1-1/2" X 12" PVC pipe (vertical holder for wood)
(1) 1-1/2" X 22" PVC pipe (horizontal connector)
(2) 1-1/2" PVC tees
(2) 1-1/2" PVC ells
(2) 1" x 2" x 60" pine board
(1) sheet of cardboard 24" x 45"
(1) B27NCJA full size silhouette target

This "pistol target kit" is put together using friction only (not glued) so that you can take it apart for easy transport in a 5 gallon bucket. The costs of the material was around $18 from my local hardware supply.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,153 Posts
Thats great and they work....
The training I did this summer we used 8 of these....So simple but clever!

Reactions: Mayonaze

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
nice job got to have them wooden legs they get shot up pretty quick in our idpa

jhp

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Built one very similar to this six months ago and have not had to replace any wood yet with over 1,000 round shot at it. Of course the cardboard gets ate up, but I have a free source.

Be safe

·
Super Moderator
27,153 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I built one almost identical to that and I love it... One small change that I made was use "plastic" cardboard from Home Depot. It is way more durable and weather resistant. I know it isn't as cheap (free?) as cardboard, but I like it. 24 in. x 36 in.Twinwall Plastic Sheet-COR-2436 at The Home Depot
Another source for the plastic cardboard is the cigarette placards used by convenience stores. I've asked a local store manager to save one or two for me when it comes time for her to change them.

Thanks for the parts list.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A 'free' source of corrugatec plastic is found in political signs that litter the landscape. After an election, many are left and not picked up. Contact the campaign of candidates that are eliminated in a primary and offer to pick them up.

AFIK, the plastic in these signs is not recyclable. Reuse them, reduce them to confetti.
Yellow Material property Font

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Nicely done! I'm going to try this instead of my current set up. My target stand has a wooden base and is light weight but big. So being able to take a bag or bucket full of good ol' target stand sounds pretty nice!

CreekFisher

·
Registered
267 Posts
I built something similar late last year, but using only Ts and 2-1/2' sections of PVC. On the up side, since I only had two types of components, repairs were relatively easy. Unfortunately, I think I used 1/2" PVC, which meant wind became a problem (both in terms of wanting to bend it and in trying to move it). My crude solution for the latter was to put garden stakes through Ts in the legs, with mixed results.

(My SO has not been impressed with it, though, especially after having to cancel or end early two shooting outings because of wind. :mad: )

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Similar to ours, but we did all PVC the same length (2.5' for those, and no wood; we use PVC for the target frame too), and used all T-connectors (instead of elbows; after all, a T is an elbow with an extra side). That way, all the pipe is the same and all the connectors are the same, so we don't have to remember what goes where, and it's easier to keep spare parts when there's only two types of parts. Wind has been our worst enemy with this setup though; it catches the cardboard and bends the whole thing back. Instead of a bucket to carry the parts, we just take an elastic cord and bundle the PVC together, and put the T-connectors in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
For the wind issue, you can put cement in the base sections. You can use a slip cap temporarily to contain the cement.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Seeing your target reminded me of a video i saw a while back on a pvc action pistol target, with very minor modifications you can make your target move

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
View attachment 59957 View attachment 59956

I saw a video on YouTube with instructions to build a portable target stand, cheap.... So I tried it. Here's what I ended up with:

bill of materials:

(4) 1-1/2" X 18" PVC pipe (feet)
(2) 1-1/2" X 12" PVC pipe (vertical holder for wood)
(1) 1-1/2" X 22" PVC pipe (horizontal connector)
(2) 1-1/2" PVC tees
(2) 1-1/2" PVC ells
(2) 1" x 2" x 60" pine board
(1) sheet of cardboard 24" x 45"
(1) B27NCJA full size silhouette target

This "pistol target kit" is put together using friction only (not glued) so that you can take it apart for easy transport in a 5 gallon bucket. The costs of the material was around $18 from my local hardware supply.
Mayo, My cousin and I built one of these the other day with a few mods.. We used 7/16 plywood for the target area and 2" pvc because he had plenty of it laying around. Also our uprights were 1 1/2" pvc. It works great. We are building a range in his shale pit and have a great back stop area. Thanks for the plans..

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I built one like it about 4 years ago, only I used the 90's at the front and back and glued them. My base holds exactly a gallon of water which gives ballast in our West Texas breezes. Then simply empty the water when you are finished. Caution shooters not to shoot low as the PVC will shatter pretty good when hit! :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey LJ,

I like the idea of using water for ballast. I will not need to do that because the berm on my property where I shoot is made of wood chips, so I just kick some wood chips over the base and I am good to go. Shooting range Gun Practical shooting Combat pistol shooting Sport venue

"just keepin', and bearin'....."
"Praise the Lord, pass the ammunition!"
NRA Member
GRNC.org Member

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Mayo, In my neck of the non woods, wood chips wouldn't work, maybe fire logs if they hadn't been split yet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts