Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local gun shop, searched the shelves over and grabbed every box of 20ga buck I could find.... I walked out with everything they had.... ALL 3 BOXES

So now I have 15 rounds of home defense. It only has taken 3 weeks to find it. The only silver lining is that its the same brand I have used before, so I don't have to shot any to see how I like it. And if I have to go through all 15 rounds to defend my home, I'm moving if I'm still alive to do so. And when did 20 gauge become so popular?! I thought that buying my 20 gauge would help me avoid this. But they stores around here are drowning in 12 gauge and only carrying target loads or slugs in 20ga...

*sigh* and the search continues. Be careful out there and good luck on your own ammo hunts.

CreekFisher

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I would imagine that over the past two years, the 20 gauge has become more popular with women and older folks for home defense due to the lower recoil. I don't think that probably over 1/5 th of the buck shot loads manufactured have been 20 gauge in the past.

More folks have become concerned about home defense just in the last couple of years and the 20 has become seen as a wider alternative now to the 12.

I kept a lot more 12 ga. buckshot than 20, but recently decided to improve my 20 buckshot inventory. If the zombies ever attack, I have four shotguns, 2 20's and 2 twelves and a New York reload in a shotgun isn't all that bad of an idea. I pretty much enhanced my 20 buckshot ammo before the last ill-fated election.

Reactions: darbo and jonrjen

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha Lance, I'd do it all over again too

CreekFisher

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
CreekFisher, which state are you located in?

Just curious as the only thing running "in short supply" in my area of Florida is the most popular handgun and rifle cartridges (9mm, .45 ACP .223, 7.62X39mm etc.)

Most traditional sporting rifle and shotgun ammo (.30-06, 12 ga etc.) is still well stocked.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
There for awhile I was buying the 15 count box of Winchester 00 buck every time I walked into Walmart.....I have a few now. ;) Recently I was doing the same thing with 22 ammo, and now I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tennessee. We are running low on practically everything. Although it is coming in spurts. Example, the other day the store was flooded in 9mm and .40 two days later it is empty shelves (except for that darn 12ga ammo lol)

CreekFisher

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.22 ammo is gone too. Need a few boxes of it also. I'm about ready to just buy a gamo .177 air rifle. Pellets are plentiful and would let me shoot without using up my good stuff. Also hunt small game :)

CreekFisher

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I would imagine that over the past two years, the 20 gauge has become more popular with women and older folks for home defense due to the lower recoil. I don't think that probably over 1/5 th of the buck shot loads manufactured have been 20 gauge in the past.

More folks have become concerned about home defense just in the last couple of years and the 20 has become seen as a wider alternative now to the 12.

I kept a lot more 12 ga. buckshot than 20, but recently decided to improve my 20 buckshot inventory. If the zombies ever attack, I have four shotguns, 2 20's and 2 twelves and a New York reload in a shotgun isn't all that bad of an idea. I pretty much enhanced my 20 buckshot ammo before the last ill-fated election.

Now just hold on there a dog gone minute.....Just who the heck are you calling Old. I picked up my first ever 20 gauge this year in a side by side double barrel coach gun. Went 20 gauge mostly due to my damaged ribs, that got broke when I fell over my own feet. OH I get it now, your talking about me. Well let me just say this then....Thanks for thinking of me.

Forgive the larger bold font, I was having trouble reading my responce without my glasses.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
.22 ammo is gone too. Need a few boxes of it also. I'm about ready to just buy a gamo .177 air rifle. Pellets are plentiful and would let me shoot without using up my good stuff. Also hunt small game :)

CreekFisher
I wonder if Sen. Diane has gotten around to air rifles yet. Maybe they'd be limited to only 10 pumps, instead of pumping until your arm is sore. She is a nit-picker for detail.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts

Now just hold on there a dog gone minute.....Just who the heck are you calling Old. I picked up my first ever 20 gauge this year in a side by side double barrel coach gun. Went 20 gauge mostly due to my damaged ribs, that got broke when I fell over my own feet. OH I get it now, your talking about me. Well let me just say this then....Thanks for thinking of me.

Forgive the larger bold font, I was having trouble reading my responce without my glasses.
For Dove and Quail I also began shooting a 20 at age 57 or so and I'm proud to report I could still miss just as good with a 20 as I could a 12. A 12 in pump and semi-auto, a 20 in pump and semi-auto and I call that harmonic balance as one is a zombie gun.

I hoarded 12 gauge buck and slugs for 9 years and my ratio of buck to slugs is 5/1. My ratio of 12 to 20 is also about 8/1.

The last panic buying of 2008-2009 didn't really seem to affect the buckshot supply very much, but this one has even affected the sale of birdshot. People are getting anything they can get, while they can get it.

I'm very proud of my .22 caliber pellet supply as I have to order them online, and I'm proud I was able to successfully install a new seal kit in my old Benjamin-Sheridan.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Banned
134 Posts
no long arm amounts to much for home defense, simply because it wo;n't BE there when you need it. you don't answer the door with shotgun in hand, and you don't mow the lawn, take out garbage or pets, or get the mail, etc, with longarm in hand or on sling. but you can ccw a pistol, especially in a front pants pocket holster, as youu do these and all other things around the house. realistically, 80% of all attackers flee or surrender at just the SIGHT of a (ready) gun. half of those who do not flee at shots that MISS, too. :) then about 1/2 of the 10% who make you HIT them will stop at poor hits, or at a couple of swifly placed .22's to the chest. So it is QUITE RARE to need to "shoot him into the ground' with a lots of powerful hits. it is MANY times more likely that you won't HAVE the shotgun than it is that the pocket pistol won't be 'enough".

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I wish I could FIND 12G 00 around my area. All the LGS and WalMart have in my neck of the woods are the smaller target loads and bird shot (and some steel turkey shot).

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Bird shot at 3 yds. will work just as well for defense, just saying.

Reactions: RichO

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
OK! I will share this but do not recommend this. If you want cheap slugs you are on your own.,

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
21,120 Posts

Reactions: kschilk
1 - 20 of 23 Posts