Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a .223/5.56 rifle of some kind and it has come down to a Mossberg MVP Varmint with a 24" fluted medium heavy barrel, 1:9" twist; OR a Marlin X7VH
with a 26" heavy barrel in .223...but some sites say it is a 5.56. It is a discontinued model so I am not sure about it even if it is at a great price and immediately available.

I have been getting stuff for reloading at present and it is a tax refund purchase...2-2.5 weeks and I will be ordering it. Pics and range report to follow asap.

I will be using it for paper targets...and furry targets. Anyone want to help me out with starting loads? I have 500 55 gr FMJ coming from Xtreme. Not plated. Then I want to work up some coyote loads after it is broke in. I believe the rifle will be a 1:9" twist...so I can use a bit heavier bullet. Considering the long barrel, it should stabilize up to at least a 69gr or so Blitz King or Match King. Anyone familiar with the twist rate here? I don't want to go broke finding the right bullet.

I am just goin nuts waiting...I want this one mo badder than any rifle I wanted before.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Doesn't the Mossberg use AR15/M16 mags? That would be a plus for me. Talk about plentiful, and relatively cheap compared to others.
Mossberg makes a fine rifle. Not to say that Marlin doesn't.

That would be a hard choice for me, but I think I would be leaning Mossberg.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Hombre, I just pulled those off Google. I don't have one... Yet! Lol

Creek

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
A 16" barreled Mossberg MVP in .223/5.56mm is on my short grail list. Uncle Sam may be financing it too...Hrump..

No surprise, but I'd like one like that in 7.62 !!! ;D;D;D

Creek

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't the Mossberg use AR15/M16 mags? That would be a plus for me. Talk about plentiful, and relatively cheap compared to others.

I am leanin more toward Mossberg than Marlin...the magazine options is a selling point. Their a great lookin rifle too. I haven't bought a wood rifle for a few years...my Marlin 336 is a laminate but it is wood. Most Mossy MVPs are wood laminates also. And the fact that they are in production helps me to lean even a bit closer to them.

I was thinking about the shorter barreled MVPs because I had such good targets with the 3030...1"@100 yards...consistent. But I said what the hay...I already have a saddlegun...now I need a Howitzer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No surprise, but I'd like one like that in 7.62 !!! ;D;D;D

Creek
I have my Savage 11 V/T in .308 with a 24" barrel. I like it a lot. It is a great long range gun. Now I want a big gun with a tiny hole that shoots fast and blows big holes in little animals. :shooter: :yipee:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hombre, I just pulled those off Google. I don't have one... Yet! Lol

Creek
I was thinkin someone on this forum just got one for Christmas...I am all anxious to see the range report. I may get mine before that happens...so I will be the frozen goat if I have to. I can't wait.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts

Yes, they use any magazine that fits the AR/M-16/M-4 platform.

And the 7.62 X 51 mm/.308 version uses 20 or 25 round M-14 magazines.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Get the Mossberg MVP.

I've heard varying reports about quality on the Remarlin (or was it Marlington) - and also if Freedom Group is going to continue that line of rifles.

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I am wanting to get a .223/5.56 rifle of some kind and it has come down to a Mossberg MVP Varmint with a 24" fluted medium heavy barrel, 1:9" twist; OR a Marlin X7VH
with a 26" heavy barrel in .223...but some sites say it is a 5.56. It is a discontinued model so I am not sure about it even if it is at a great price and immediately available.

I have been getting stuff for reloading at present and it is a tax refund purchase...2-2.5 weeks and I will be ordering it. Pics and range report to follow asap.

I will be using it for paper targets...and furry targets. Anyone want to help me out with starting loads? I have 500 55 gr FMJ coming from Xtreme. Not plated. Then I want to work up some coyote loads after it is broke in. I believe the rifle will be a 1:9" twist...so I can use a bit heavier bullet. Considering the long barrel, it should stabilize up to at least a 69gr or so Blitz King or Match King. Anyone familiar with the twist rate here? I don't want to go broke finding the right bullet.

I am just goin nuts waiting...I want this one mo badder than any rifle I wanted before.
Wish I could help you with a load, but I just recently bough 5.56 dies and have not even started loading for it. I get ammo cheap enough for 5.56 that up until recently I didn't want to bother picking up the brass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts