Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to the range today with my new Taurus 1911SS and shot 2, I said shot 2 clips and my thumb safety fell out out of the gun! And what was really embarrasing was my friends admiring my 1911 before we shot and they said they wanted one too.....But not now! I will go back to my gun dealer to get it fixed and selling it for 500.00 just to get rid of it! Heck my norinco 1911 is hands down better than this,,lol,, So I had to put the taurus back in the case and shoot the rest of my 250rds out of my TRUSTY Norinco! Go team Taurus! :mad:

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
Thats almost unbelievable.....nobody did ANY tinkering with the gun prior to you shooting it, did they? I'd give Taurus a chance to make it right - that is definitely the exception to the rule, not the rule.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Hm... fell out? That interesting since the right hand side is trapped by the grip and the left hand side should have been held in place by the spring and plunger. Since you are obviously familiar with 1911's given your experience with a Norinco, I can't understand how a lack of the spring or plunger would would have gone unnoticed since the safety would not have held in place when engaged.

Love to have a few more details

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never had this problem before! When I was shooting the next to last round in the mag the gun locked back with the safety pulled half way out of the gun! the front safety plunger shot out in space and I did find the rear plunger,I really and truly dont know how to explain how it happened. Out of all the 1911's I ever owned,I never encountered this problem.The pistol was shooting dead on target until this happened. And I checked the function of the safety lever quite a few times waiting for the day to shoot it! I never took it apart! Has anyone had this same problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to add something to this-

Yesterday I took my girlfriend and my brand new PT1911 to a shooting range because she wanted to try it out with me. I left the range within 15 minutes of arriving, extremely embarrassed.

I had not shot more than 40 rounds through it before I noticed something fly off of the gun and past my face. I immediately unloaded the gun and set it down, and noticed that the left side safety had flown off, along with both plungers and the spring in between the two. I was amazed. I took it out to the showroom and every employee was just as amazed- I mean.. WOW.

First of all, this is my first handgun and has obviously been a poor experience. Secondly, I am happy that my girlfriend wasn't shooting at the time because there is a good chance she would have just pulled the trigger again- resulting in God knows what.

I am planning on calling Taurus tomorrow, and will keep you guys updated.

I guess I can say that I liked how it shot before the mishap :-\

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
We're still waiting for pictures from the first poster - so I'd say yes, that would help. I'd love to see some pictures of the described problem. Thanks !!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, it seems like the weak link of the Taurus 1911's is the safety. Mine was broken when I bought it online. I put in a Wilson ambi-safety myself. I since sold that one, but just bought a SS version. Haven't shot it yet, but the safety seems okay so far. The good thing is that is so far the only thing wrong with these 1911's. To me it is not a big thing nor is it a deal-breaker for purchasing another.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Anyways, I would like to have more detailed pictures of the safety piece itself. There should be some filing marks on it where it was file fitted.

If you put it back in, can you make the hammer drop with the safety on? I had that problem with mine and fitted a new safety and have not a problem now. Something to consider if you want to avoid sending it in to Taurus.

The new safety did require filing. I for a Fusion off of ebay. It looked more original to me, so I went with that one. I had to file some for frame clearance and a fair amount for the safety engagement clearance.

There should be a really good thread in the 1911 section on how to fit a new safety on the gun. You should be able to figure it out pretty easy, there's nothing to it really, just patience.

To the original poster, I would like to see some pics of yours too. Especially some detailed pics of the safety piece itself. I would like to look for similarities between the 2. I will post the one I took out of mine as well for a reference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not to be redundant, but I hear the safety on PT1911's fail very frequently.
On a good note, I also hear that it is one of the ONLY problems with these.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I just wanted to say "I LOVE MY TAURUS"if you want to get rid of it,just sent it to me.can't we all just get along.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
taurusman said:
Not to be redundant, but I hear the safety on PT1911's fail very frequently.
On a good note, I also hear that it is one of the ONLY problems with these.
This isn't the first time I've heard of the problem either. That's another reason I would like to see pics of both safety pieces.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Gray!

Actually I had to file-fit them. I took out the old safety and compared it with the Wilson. I slowly started filing to match the old one. Took about an hour to file, then try and fit, but wasn't hard at all. You just need tiny files and a lot of patience. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't seem to get my camera to take a clear pic of the safety.. I'll post some when I can get my hands on a camera that will take a close-up, clear picture..

Also, I called Taurus customer service this morning around 10am and ended up leaving a message. They didn't call me back today. Guess I'll call again tomorrow.

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
Thats really odd - I've called Taurus service 4 times this past month, and 3 of the 4 times my call was taken within 20 seconds. The fourth time I was on hold about 4 minutes........

1 - 20 of 48 Posts