Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • In 1977 present ownership bought 54% of Taurus outright from Bangor Punta. At once a quest to improve overall quality of Taurus product was initiated. One of the new owners' first goals was to improve the overall quality of Taurus products, while -maintaining reasonable prices. The new owners also undertook a vigorous expansion program.
  • At the Dallas, Texas S.H.O.T. Show in 1984, Taurus made an announcement that was to have a tremendous impact on the entire industry. Taurus became the first company to offer its customers an unqualified LIFETIME REPAIR POLICY. This one piece of marketing changed the course of the company in this market. Only recently has this policy been matched. It has never been exceeded.

Sources:
Taurus USA History
American Handgunner, May, 2002 by Charles Cutshaw

This FAQ was the product of the group effort of all the moderators of Taurus Armed.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Cimarron was a wealth of good information. We lost him a couple of years ago, and we miss him alot.

Reactions: rhuber

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
That's a shame.. I hate loosing good guys... I loose them at work and it really plays havoc.... I hate it.. hope he is doing well.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
That's a shame.. I hate loosing good guys... I loose them at work and it really plays havoc.... I hate it.. hope he is doing well.
I'm sorry, reviewing my post I guess I was unclear. Cim died 2 years ago. He was a great mod and a great person. He was an ordained minister and he wasn't really that old, late 50's or early 60's. Like I said, he is missed here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The newer Taurus seem quite a bit better but their quality control is too hit & miss that I still dont consider them very good. If it were not for their low prices I probley would'nt own any.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own 9 Taurus' tell me they are no good and I'll be happy to shoot you with one of them then you tell me if they are still junk... I am NOT attacking you, just playing and having fun... they have a fantastic customer support and non of my guns ever failed... not one

·
Super Moderator
21,947 Posts
Take it easy guys this thread was started in 07 and the the Super Moderator has passed on. He is seriously missed and was an amazing person who would not appreciate this to turn into a pissing match.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ha,ha - Thanks for the offer but I'll pass... They are not that bad. :)

I've owned about 20 Taurus in the past 6 or 7 years (autos and revolvers) and have only had problems with 3 or 4 of them that I can remember (mostly autos). I never had to send one back as i was always able to fix them myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my PT-99 AF in 1991 or 1992. This is a pre-docker model. The only issues I've had were stovepipes due to me limp writing. It eats whatever ammo I feed it. This was my first pistol and I'll never part with her. I'd say the problems are bit overblown. If Taurus was really as bad as they say, they wouldn't be in business.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Geez rjr573, I thought you were in the wrong forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Taurus announced the life time warranty the year I was born. I never new that but always felt a connection to my revolver , now I know why

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I own a couple of Taurus pistols that are pre-Lifetime Warranty. Oddly, I've never had to have them repaired. Since the early 1980s, I've bought more than a dozen Taurus handguns, and still have them all. Taurus is doing well with me, as I haven't had a single factory defect evidence itself in those thirty years. Heck, one of those Taurus pistols is an Interarms import.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the money they cannot be beat, even high dollar guns do not perform as well as the Taurus.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The lifetime warranty is a great thing, if it gets backed up with timely quality service. I haven't had any reason to take advantage of the lifetime warranty offer yet, so I've got nothing but good to say about Taurus.

Except for one thing, and that is the fact that my wife laid claim to the 605 as soon as we got it to the range.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I feel for walker56 my wife has tried to take some of mine also. I have let her think she has gotten away with it but my guns and i have talked and they know who loves them the best. Sometimes when the wife is at work i sneak them out and exercise them and quickly clean them before she gsts home. And my 1996 m689 has never had fault that would cause me to not trust it in a gun fight.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I bought my PT-99 AF in 1991 or 1992. This is a pre-docker model. The only issues I've had were stovepipes due to me limp writing. It eats whatever ammo I feed it. This was my first pistol and I'll never part with her. I'd say the problems are bit overblown. If Taurus was really as bad as they say, they wouldn't be in business.
I hear ya'. I just purchased a NIB PT-709 Slim. I need to get to the range to test it out, but it seems like a solid gun to me. Sick of all the crap people spew at Taurus.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yes early on Taurus had a rotten rep Ok bottom line in their early days If you wanted a cheap gun Jennings/Taurus were in my opinion the same just real bad guns. But somewhere after 84 or so a new CEO stepped in and dragged Taurus out of the mud. Now taurus has stepped up I am proud to ask for a Taurus they are a worthy hand gun to own.And lastly affordable and a warranty no one in the business warrantys the life of the gun other than Taurus/Rossi

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.